MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Monday, January 26, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

going up?.....gas prices, that is...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:16 am

RockHopper wrote: ... you can count on me becoming more and more annoying!

Indeed. We can add this one to the "death and taxes" category.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RockHopper » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:28 am

beesorry wrote:Its Impossible for you to become anymore annoying.

I am sorry to say that there will be many months more of my perfectly optimized annoying posts then, if todays early numbers from the EIA are any indication.

Sadly, the latest 4-week average gasoline consumption is only down 1.8% compared to last year. Driving under the speed limit and properly inflating your tires is not going to cut it - to offset the other long term worldwide demand pressures, Americans must cut back on the equivalent of 1 day of driving every 15 days.
RockHopper
Forum Addict

Postby Garimba » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:40 am

RockHopper wrote:I am sorry to say that there will be many months more of my annoying posts.

Driving under the influence and properly inflating your ego is going offset the other long term worldwide demand pressures.

Thanks RockHopper. You're making more and more sense every day. You should consider opening a consulting firm with Ned and Pulsewidth. You'd be a great team. You deserve each other.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:47 am

My co-worker left her SUV at home and started ride sharing with her husband. Imagine that!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Logan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:27 am

Hey look, reduced demand has caused the price of gas to drop:

Gas prices fall for 20th day
Prices hit a record high of $4.114 at the pump on July 16. Since then, gasoline - and the future contracts of crude oil - have declined on signs that high prices have caused Americans to consume less.

Imagine how much better shape the economy would be in right now if people had started to conserve before it became a financial imperative to do so. Now, we are facing a second round of potential home mortgage defaults, this time in demographics that have traditionally been more financially stable.
Matt Logan
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 am

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy,
Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Logan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:58 pm

Uh oh... Gustav May Hit Gulf Platforms Harder Than Katrina

Worst of all, stocks of gasoline are running well below average right now:

Now would be a great time to find a non-motorized way to get to work.
Matt Logan
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:29 am

Matt Logan wrote:Now would be a great time to find a non-motorized way to get to work.

Now would be a great time to find a clue, MattRock.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/o ... 2972682%7D
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Logan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:16 pm

O.J. wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:Now would be a great time to find a non-motorized way to get to work.

Now would be a great time to find a clue, MattRock.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/o ... 2972682%7D

Interestingly, since gas prices are still relatively high, it is still a great time to find a non-motorized way to get to work, albeit somewhat less so in light of Gustov sparing the oil infrastructure in the Gulf.
Matt Logan
Forum Addict

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:12 pm

I would love a high-speed (or even a low-speed) train to Milwaukee since being laid-off earlier this year and finding nothing at the moment in Madison.

Should not trains connecting larger metropolitan areas come before too much effort is put into cross-town or cross-county ventures?
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Logan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:47 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:I would love a high-speed (or even a low-speed) train to Milwaukee since being laid-off earlier this year and finding nothing at the moment in Madison.

Should not trains connecting larger metropolitan areas come before too much effort is put into cross-town or cross-county ventures?

Indeed, a high speed train is on the books, and has been for years. But the situation in Washington DC is this:

The Federal Government is spending money on roads so fast that they are due to deplete the highway fund (funded by the gas tax) by the middle of 2009. Meanwhile, the transit fund (also funded by the gas tax) is sitting there with 8 billion unspent. If you believe the Secretary of Transportation, Mary Peters, this is because highways get an automatic green light from the Feds, while transit projects are stymied by requirements imposed by congress. On the other hand, Peters is pushing to take that unspent 8 billion in the transit fund and use it to cover the "shortfall" in the highway fund.

I agree that trains connecting larger metropolitan areas should take precedence over less efficient highway projects. The problem is that the federal government does not agree. And this is yet one more reason why gas prices are likely to remain high.
Matt Logan
Forum Addict

Postby magic moose » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:12 pm

O.J. wrote:O pointy birds, o pointy pointy,
Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Edwina, get back in the bowl!

backinbowl
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:53 am

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:Should not trains connecting larger metropolitan areas come before too much effort is put into cross-town or cross-county ventures?

There already is a train connecting Milwaukee and Chicago, 7 trips daily. And d train connectiing Chicago and Minneapolis via Milwaukee. So the large metropolitan areas in Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota are already connected by rail.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:57 am

Sheppy wrote:
Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:Should not trains connecting larger metropolitan areas come before too much effort is put into cross-town or cross-county ventures?

There already is a train connecting Milwaukee and Chicago, 7 trips daily. And d train connectiing Chicago and Minneapolis via Milwaukee. So the large metropolitan areas in Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota are already connected by rail.

Oooh, snap!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Logan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:16 am

Gas guzzling temptation as prices fall
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Although it was a painful summer for most drivers, it could have been worse had Americans not cut back on their gasoline consumption. Now, as summer ends and gasoline prices fall, drivers may be tempted to resume their gas guzzling habits.

Conversely, it could have been better if Americans had cut back on their gasoline consumption earlier and more deeply.
Matt Logan
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines