MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

<removed>

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

NASCAR PLAYOFFS?

YEE-HAW, START THOSE ENGINES!
No votes
HELL NO, I AM A NASCAR TRADITIONALIST!
22%
HUH? IS NASCAR THAT NEW HYBRID CAR?
22%
SORRY, I AM A NASCAR DEMOCRAT!
56%

Total votes : 9

<removed>

Postby Blue Pup » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:01 pm

<removed>
Last edited by Blue Pup on Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Pup
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:04 am

Actually more of an open wheel fan myself, as well as an independent. But this strikes me as the first stupid idea Nascar has had from a competition standpoint. They have been suspect in some other areas, e.g. not hiring a dedicated safety team like CART(R.I.P.) and the IRL.

If you want to fix the NASCAR points system, just jack up the points for the winner. While you are at it, cut points off after about 30th or so, so we don't have to see the junkers tooling around at East Johnson-like speeds...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swifty » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:42 pm

NASCRAP sucks, and has sucked for the last 25 years, ever since they brought in restrictor plates and turned the car hoods into billboards. I got to see real NASCAR in the south during the '70's, back when it was for real racing. All this overmarketed cult of personality bullshit excuse for motorsports is a big joke compared to the good old days.

The only real racing these days are the European road rallys, MotoGP, F1, and whatever is going on at your local track. Even the AMA has got the rules so screwed up that every year most the races get won by whatever manufacturer has the best fit with the current rules, no matter who's riding.
swifty

Postby Igor » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:57 pm

swifty wrote:NASCRAP sucks, and has sucked for the last 25 years, ever since they brought in restrictor plates and turned the car hoods into billboards. I got to see real NASCAR in the south during the '70's, back when it was for real racing. All this overmarketed cult of personality bullshit excuse for motorsports is a big joke compared to the good old days.

The only real racing these days are the European road rallys, MotoGP, F1, and whatever is going on at your local track. Even the AMA has got the rules so screwed up that every year most the races get won by whatever manufacturer has the best fit with the current rules, no matter who's riding.

Admittedly, the restrictor plate has been a disaster from a racing standpoint. Suprised to see you claim F1 as real racing tho - it is certainly real technology, but it seems like the winners are determined by manufacturer prowess there too...

It seems like F1 has figured out how to become the most popular worldwide series, how to get the best mfgrs, and the best drivers. Now if they could only figure out a way that the fast drivers could pass the slow ones when they are behind them - perhaps by killing all chicanes?
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Blue Pup » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:44 pm

<removed>
Last edited by Blue Pup on Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Pup
Forum Addict

Postby Bruno » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:43 am

Huh? Did someone say NASCAR?
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:58 am

Bruno wrote:Huh? Did someone say NASCAR?
That is fucking wonderful :D
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swifty » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:45 am

Igor wrote:
Admittedly, the restrictor plate has been a disaster from a racing standpoint. Suprised to see you claim F1 as real racing tho - it is certainly real technology, but it seems like the winners are determined by manufacturer prowess there too...

It seems like F1 has figured out how to become the most popular worldwide series, how to get the best mfgrs, and the best drivers. Now if they could only figure out a way that the fast drivers could pass the slow ones when they are behind them - perhaps by killing all chicanes?

F1 to me is sort of like the space race. It's fun to watch what the ultimate in technology can do. Money is no object, and yeah generally the one with the most sponsors wins the title, but most years it's reasonably competitive unless a rule change favors one team or another for a season. This only happens every few years though. You're right, more passing would be good, but they need to make wider tracks not fewer turns. Then you're back to IRL. Boring.
swifty

Postby Igor » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:32 am

swifty wrote:
Igor wrote:

F1 to me is sort of like the space race. It's fun to watch what the ultimate in technology can do. Money is no object, and yeah generally the one with the most sponsors wins the title, but most years it's reasonably competitive unless a rule change favors one team or another for a season. This only happens every few years though. You're right, more passing would be good, but they need to make wider tracks not fewer turns. Then you're back to IRL. Boring.

Wider tracks, but also harder tires. I keep wondering why there isn't a way to artificially create more than one racing line that has traction on a road course.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines