MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Dr. Bronner and the Germs

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Dr. Bronner and the Germs

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:49 am

The NEXUS OF WEIRDNESS that is Dr. Bronner's soap company just got a bit weirder. From the Los Angeles Times:

Was a legendary punk rocker arrested for possession of â?Š soap?

That's the question surrounding last week's jailing of Germs drummer Don Bolles after a traffic stop in Newport Beach.

Bolles, 50, whose real name is Jimmy Michael Giorsetti, said in an interview that he and his girlfriend were driving to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting Wednesday evening when police pulled over his 1968 Dodge van for a broken taillight.

Inside the vehicle, police found a toiletry kit containing denture glue, razors and a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap.

[...]

Bolles insisted the soap was only soap. "I've been using Dr. Bronner's for 35 years," he said Tuesday, adding that the organic ingredients help give him the complexion of a 15-year-old girl.

[...]

How many forons use Dr. Bronner's? I remember Marvell saying something about that. As you might expect from reading the label, the guy behind the soap had an interesting history. From the Straight Dope:

Initially settling in the midwest, Bronner married the illegitimate daughter of a nun, who eventually became suicidal and died in a mental hospital. (He says she was tortured by the hospital guards.) He also began devising his plan for world peace. Fittingly, he took to the soapbox to promote it. One of his listeners, Fred Walcher, was so inspired that in 1945 he had himself crucified in Chicago in order to publicize the plan. (He survived.)

Later Bronner was arrested while trying to promote his plan at the University of Chicago and was committed to a mental hospital. He escaped three times, finally fleeing to California in 1947. He's been there cranking out soap and soap labels ever since. [....]

What other substance could possibly tie together fornicating nuns, world peace, self-crucifixion, mental hospital escapees, The Germs, date-rape drugs, Al-Anon, "the complexion of a 15-year-old girl", hemp oil, and the Moral ABCs?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dr. Bronner and the Germs

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:59 am

kurt_w wrote:What other substance could possibly tie together fornicating nuns, world peace, self-crucifixion, mental hospital escapees, The Germs, date-rape drugs, Al-Anon, "the complexion of a 15-year-old girl", hemp oil, and the Moral ABCs?

Slick Willie's Love Juice?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
kurt_w wrote:What other substance could possibly tie together fornicating nuns, world peace, self-crucifixion, mental hospital escapees, The Germs, date-rape drugs, Al-Anon, "the complexion of a 15-year-old girl", hemp oil, and the Moral ABCs?

Slick Willie's Love Juice?

Nice way to mess up my non-political thread with your tired old Clinton sex-life obsession.

Anyway ... aren't you supposed to be backing Rudy in 2008? If so, I'd expect you to be a little ... quieter ... about presidents and adultery.
Last edited by kurt_w on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:12 pm

O 'cmon ya big baby. It's all in good fun. And it goes without saying that said refreshment is best served while kneeling. Accompanied by a fine cigar :P
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:16 pm

kurt_w wrote:Anyway ... aren't you supposed to be backing Rudy in 2008? If so, I'd expect you to be a little ... quieter ... about presidents and adultery.

Best think again. Ned has repeatedly demonstrated that consistency in logic and ethics means absolutely nothing to him.

I'm a big Dr. B's fan. These days I just use it strictly in the shower and as soap, but back in my hippie days I used it for everything - washing clothes, washing dishes, as a household cleanser, even brushing my teeth.

I was pure as fuck. But I had no groove...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:20 pm

Marvell wrote:even brushing my teeth.

You brushed your teeth with Bronners soap? That sounds absolutely ghastly.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:29 pm

kurt_w wrote:You brushed your teeth with Bronners soap? That sounds absolutely ghastly.

It was.

But do you really think such a small thing as taste is going to stop a grimly self-righteous hippie?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:And it goes without saying that said refreshment is best served while kneeling. Accompanied by a fine cigar :P

I'm certainly willing to accept the opinion of someone who obviously knows what he's talking about.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:51 pm

For the camper/hiker types among us, Dr Bonner's can also be a penny (or dollar) saver.

Many national parks require that campers only use special "camping soap" for personal hygiene and dish washing when in the back country. It is not harmful to water sources and other environmental resources, but it is ghastly expensive, and usually sold in tiny bottles.

Tada! Dr Bonner's is accepted by the National Park Service as an alternative.

A dear friend, hardcore back country camper (and consumate cheapskate) that used to work at Yellowstone turned me on to that trick.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiak » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Yeah, the Park Service also recommends it for toothbrushing since they won't allow backpackers to bring toothpaste. And I can second the foulness of the magic soap tongue.

The current Dr. Bronner (the nephew I think) runs the company from Milwaukee. He brings his grandkids to the Madison Children's Museum (where I work) once or twice a year. He always brings a guitar and wanders through the exhibits, troubadour style, making up odd songs about the dinosaurs and the cows and the other exhibit components. Then when he leaves, he drops $50 at the front desk with the express instruction that it be used to treat the floor staff to pizza or ice cream.
kiak

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Roadkill Bill, I strongly disagree. Some of those "camping" soaps are highly concentrated, so a small tube goes a very, very long way. Also, they're unscented -- unlike Bronners, which smells like you're carrying a florist's shop around in your backpack.

We do dilute our Bronners at home, but not nearly as much as the camping stuff. (And even the Bronners doesn't seem as dilutable as it used to be...) Basically, it's too smelly and too heavy for me to take on a backpacking trip.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines