MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Please Don't Buy a Pet Monkey!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Please Don't Buy a Pet Monkey!

Postby amy kerwin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:51 am

I am raising funds to build a primate sanctuary in southern Wisconsin and I recently had a table at the Atwood Summerfest. At the table, we had a gorilla costume see: http://www.amberdragonflypress.com/Atwood07/index.htm
to help get people over to our table. One nice woman I met said that a woman was walking around with a real pet monkey (the same woman from yesterday's news) and some people were giving her a hard time, but other people were excited to see a live monkey.

Later on, the monkey owner stopped at our table and said "you should have a monkey here to help raise funds." I said "we aim to provide care to the monkeys in a naturalistic environment and socialize them with each other." She understood and I gave her a pamphlet - she said she would contact me.

I told the people around me that I was concerned about Pet monkeys b/c the instant they bite someone, that means big trouble. Monkeys typically lash out at their owners or someone else when they reach 6-8 years of age and then have to be sent to a sanctuary.

Turns out pet monkeys are filling up sanctuaries very quickly. I have heard of sanctuaries turning away research monkeys that need to be retired b/c they are full and they don't have the money to provide the lifetime care for all these monkeys in need of retirement.

We will need to establish our sanctuary and others across the country to deal with this overflow of monkeys who are coming from the exotic pet trade, the entertainment industry, and research facilities.

I was not surprised to hear that someone got bit by her adorable capuchin monkey. I hope he is reunited with his owner as they seemed to have a good social relationship, - and it hurt me to see her in tears like that - sending her monkey off to quarantine. My advice to everyone: Please, even though it may look like fun, don't get a pet monkey!

I would much rather wear a gorilla suit and walk around town with a sign vs. exploiting a monkey for advertisement.
-so if you see a gorilla, it is likely me shamelessly promoting primatesinc.com :)
amy kerwin

Postby amy kerwin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:40 am

Specifically, you can't have a pet monkey in Madison- their ordinance is: "It is unlawful to possess, sell, or purchase an exotic animal as a "pet." A exotic or wild animal is defined as nonhuman primates, wild cats, wolves, coyotes, bears, elephants, kangaroos, snakes greater than 10 feet long, etc." (taken from API's review of exotic pets: http://www.api4animals.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_ords.php)

(I heard on the news last night that this woman had permission to be in the city)

Re: WI statutes - good point HV, and it should be a good deterrent. However, as far as I thought Wisconsin was one of the more "relaxed" states when it comes to exotic ownership, in that they require a permit but don't outlaw it entirely. ...and having a permit for the "pet" is all you need - how hard or easy it is to obtain a permit, I don't know. Perhaps it would be similar to purchasing a parrot (except a lot more expensive)?
amy kerwin

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:46 am

I'd totally visit something like this. Can monkeys survive in a climate like southern Wisconsin's?
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

indoor/outdoor

Postby amy kerwin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:03 am

We meet monthly to discuss resources that will help us create an optimal indoor, naturalistic environment for the monkeys to dwell during the cold winter months. We don't have a set location yet as we have been unable to secure a land donor and need to raise $40-70,000 to buy land. ---in addition to our $300,000 that we need to raise to construct the indoor/outdoor sanctuary.

Considering there are 4500 monkeys in the labs in Madison that aren't being retired, we intend to establish ourselves <1 hour away from Madison in an effort to create a culture of primate retirement. ---so, not the optimal environment to retire monkeys, but I will take the trade-off if it means providing at least some of the local monkeys with a better life.
amy kerwin

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:13 am

This seems like a bit of an exaggertion. Elly May never had problems with Cousin Bessie.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:This seems like a bit of an exaggertion. Elly May never had problems with Cousin Bessie.

Was Cousin Bessie an orangutan or a chimpanzee? Only juveniles of either species are ever used in film/tv. Adults are much too dangerous.

As much as I would love to have a pet monkey, it's just not a humane thing to do. Monkeys need to be with other monkeys, for socialization above all else. Very similar to parrots in that respect.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:04 pm

Just dawned on me.

I bet "Amy" has a Google alert set up for "pet" and "monkey" appearing within a couple words of each other.

Amy appeared one day after the other monkey thread was posted.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:12 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
I bet "Amy" has a Google alert set up for "pet" and "monkey" appearing within a couple words of each other.

Which makes you wonder how many masturbation euphemism threads "Amy" has visited.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:24 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

Which makes you wonder how many masturbation euphemism threads "Amy" has visited.

When I get updates through bloglines, it only shows the latest posts, so until I looked at the first post, I didn't know who you were talking about.
I was really hoping you guys were talking about me.
Thanks, anyway.
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 pm

AmyW wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

When I get updates through bloglines, it only shows the latest posts, so until I looked at the first post, I didn't know who you were talking about.
Thanks, anyway.

Well, if you want to arrange something...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
AmyW wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

Thanks, anyway.

Well, if you want to arrange something...

If it involves buying a pet monkey, no thanks, I've got my hands full as it is.
And WR doesn't like girls.
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rbogle » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:38 am

rbogle

Postby TAsunder » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:38 am

Did you just call your husband a monkey?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:15 am

"Would you like to buy a monkey?"
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines