MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Who's Mug Shall Grace The $10 Bill?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Who's your choice to grace the $10 bill?

Alexander Hamilton (current)
42%
Ronald Reagan (proposed)
No votes
John F. Kennedy (who uses 50 cent pieces?)
25%
Franklin Delano Roosevelt (put someone else on the dime)
33%

Total votes : 12

Who's Mug Shall Grace The $10 Bill?

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:12 pm

I think these are some viable candidates...
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:17 pm

Lincoln already has the nickel, throw Ronny on the $5 Bill! Just replacing one Republican with another, no one should get upset!
Dennis
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:18 pm

ahem... Jefferson is on a nickel
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:19 pm

ps... why not make Ronny the penny and Lincoln the $5 bill?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:28 pm

Since Ronnie was such a champion of women and minority rights, why not knock Sacagawea off the dollar coin and put Ronnie on that? And when you get confused and mistake it for a quarter you can feign Alzheimer's and say, "I was pulling a Ronnie."
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:46 pm

pjbogart wrote:ps... why not make Ronny the penny and Lincoln the $5 bill?

I'd go for that. Then we can step up our efforts to discontinue production of the fuckin' penny.

Ugly ... ugly coin.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:59 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
pjbogart wrote:ps... why not make Ronny the penny and Lincoln the $5 bill?

I'd go for that. Then we can step up our efforts to discontinue production of the fuckin' penny.

Ugly ... ugly coin.
Will never happen, the nickle and zinc producers(what pennies are really made of) are a super strong lobby group. When they switched from copper, the copper folks tried to get the penny discontinued, this was way back in '64 I believe, and the nickle and zinc folks beat them down! The penny will be with us for ever.
Dennis
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:50 pm

Reagan should replace Hamilton, says the NRA, because Burr beat him in their duel.
Hamilton, a Revolutionary War hero, is perhaps remembered most for a duel against Vice President Aaron Burr in 1805 that left him fatally wounded.

"Hamilton was a nice guy and everything, but he wasn't president," said Grover Norquist, who heads the legacy project. "As a board member of the NRA, I can also tell you he was a bad shot."

http://www.channel3000.com/news/3396195/detail.html
Take their poll too.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:13 pm

Our currency should have similar rules to those governing who gets to appear on US postage stamps. We should wait 20 or more years after the person's death before they can be eligible to appear on currency. Not to mention that we already endured a huge frenzy to name anything and everything after Reagan back when he left office. Let's just see how the guy stands the test of time and avoid the partisan game that this is all about today.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:45 pm

Cuomo was pretty hard on Reagan on Lou Dobbs tonight... it was refreshing to see someone push back a bit (with a smile, of course).

If you gouge tax rates (especially for the wealthy) and then you go nutty on defense spending, that doesn't make a whole lot of fiscal sense, does it? Ronny claimed he would balance the budget within three years. Cuomo points out that he was off by about 2 trillion dollars (hey, isn't that about the size of King George's collective deficit?)

Unlike King George, though, Ronny was willing to admit error and he spent the rest of his years raising, not lowering, taxes.

I like the idea of putting Ronny's mug on food stamps... that seems like a more fitting tribute.

Ronny called me on my Ouijaphone last night... hellfire sucks ass.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:50 pm

pulseCzar wrote:Our currency should have similar rules to those governing who gets to appear on US postage stamps. We should wait 20 or more years after the person's death before they can be eligible to appear on currency. Not to mention that we already endured a huge frenzy to name anything and everything after Reagan back when he left office. Let's just see how the guy stands the test of time and avoid the partisan game that this is all about today.

The USPS has different rules for ex-presidents. Their corpus doesn't have to get cold before they can appear on stamps.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Angus » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:07 pm

I would like to see a scratch-and-sniff Nabisco $10 bill with an Oreo on it.
Coins and bills are potential ad space that could ease the burden on the taxpayer.
Angus

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:31 pm

Angus wrote:I would like to see a scratch-and-sniff Nabisco $10 bill with an Oreo on it.
Coins and bills are potential ad space that could ease the burden on the taxpayer.

Probably the most disturbingly true post I've seen in a long time. So the quarter has George Washington on the front, but the back could be anything from Snickers to Coca-Cola to Lunchables... some of them might be public service messages (don't smoke, wear a helmet, dial 911).

People would surely collect the coins and the collecting would be endless... Kraft would pay the mint the cost of creating the coins plus an added fee, which would save the department of the treasury a ton of cash.

I'm sure this notion has been floated before... am I bit slow for never having heard it?

How much would it cost to have your own quarter design? Can anyone sign up? Could a band buy 100,000 quarters with their new album cover on it for promotional purposes? How much would those rare quarters be worth?

My brain hurts.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:59 pm

pjbogart wrote:People would surely collect the coins and the collecting would be endless... Kraft would pay the mint the cost of creating the coins plus an added fee, which would save the department of the treasury a ton of cash.

I'm sure this notion has been floated before... am I bit slow for never having heard it?

How much would it cost to have your own quarter design? Can anyone sign up? Could a band buy 100,000 quarters with their new album cover on it for promotional purposes? How much would those rare quarters be worth?

My brain hurts.

As a former numismatist, I find you ideas both disturbing and intriguing.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:16 pm

I say we should bring back the Liberty Dime...damn, I had a dream last night that I go one of those in my change at the coffee shop...
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines