MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Any heroes on the layoff front?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Any heroes on the layoff front?

Postby Broadsheet » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:09 am

Are there employers hereabouts who are making efforts NOT to lay off employees? What are they doing to keep the ship afloat with all hands secure? Let's hear their stories.

For what it's worth, I think that in today's climate of economic fear every unnecessary layoff is tantamount to . . . I want to say treason, but I'll leave it at an act of sabotage.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Re: Any heroes on the layoff front?

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:28 pm

Self-sabotage perhaps.

An unnecessary layoff means that work that needs doing will not be done, thus harming the employer. I really don't think anyone sane is laying people off for the fun of it. They do it when they've exhausted other options.

Except for the extreme high rollers who can spend a million to remodel their own office. Not much of that kind of money in these parts though.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Any heroes on the layoff front?

Postby dogmeat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 pm

I think it's not fair to assume that even the employers that layoff workers didn't do something worthy of praise. The economic situation is not simple. Some industries are really hurting.

Odd as it may sound, but for some companies in may be in the best interest of employees in the long run to lay them off right now. Companies have debts to pay. If laying off workers means the company can stay in business and then bring those employees back when the economy turns around, then I think the company is worthy of praise. The most important thing right now is that companies survive so there are jobs when demand rebounds. Although I do not extend that sentiment to GM.
dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines