MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Fort Hood Shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Fort Hood Shooting

Postby pjbogart » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:49 am

So I'm sure you've all heard about the shooting, but perhaps you can still do a little something of a personal nature for the Madison resident who was shot in the incident.

Two weeks ago I was sitting across from Captain Dorothy Carskadon, director of the VA counseling center here in Madison, at La Hacienda on Park Street. She's been my roommate for the last two years and I was taking her out to dinner because she was leaving for California for some training before she was scheduled to leave for Afghanistan as part of a medical detachment (I think that's what she called it). I had the chimichangas, I can't remember what she had other than the monster plate of nachos con carne that we shared and didn't finish.

Anyway, she was redirected to Fort Hood in Texas and was apparently shot and injured in the incident. I got the call tonight, came as a bit of a shock since I never bothered looking it up because I knew she was going to California. She's apparently OK. Shot twice through the pelvic region, some internal injuries and another bullet grazed her head but nothing life-threatening. The psychiatrist who committed the heinous act was scheduled to be part of her unit.

Dorry was a deeply religious woman, Episcopalian, which I guess is a Catholic who believes in divorce and gay marriage. She was already decorated with a bronze star from the first gulf war, and apparently has a Purple Heart coming if there's any justice in the world. She loved Wii sports and told me that I made the best roasted chicken in the world.

Send her a letter and let her know that your prayers are with her. My name is Paul, in case you want to reference how you know of her. She loves Hershey's miniature candy bars, but usually leaves me the Special Darks. Since she had surgery to her abdomen, I'm thinking she can't eat them, though maybe sending them to her wouldn't be such a bad thing anyway.

I'm not sure that there's a kinder or gentler soul on earth than Dorry. For this to happen to a person like her truly grieves me. I'll keep you posted on any developments.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fort Hood Shooting

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:06 am

Maybe you'll finally understand that this is war. And that the attacks by the Jihadists are just as real at Fort Hood, Little Rock and Lower Manhattan as they are in Iraq, Afghanistan, Russia and Asia.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:31 am

PJ,
I'm sorry your friend is going through this. Thanks for sharing her story. How can we get in touch with her?

Ned,
Go fuck yourself.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:16 am

I'll find out today exactly where she is, I'm not sure if she's in a hospital on the base or somewhere near. I know she was in surgery for the gunshot wounds and that her injuries are serious but not life threatening, though any surgery to your abdomen can become very serious if you develop an infection. I'm certain she's getting the best care available.

Her office is on Willy Street, I think the corner there is Blount or around there somewhere. It's the VA counseling center and she was the director of that facility before she got called up to active duty to head to Afghanistan to help deal with soldiers with PTSD and other issues. Some of you may have seen her tooling around town in her bright yellow Mitsubishi Lancer with military license plates... she kind of stuck out that way.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 pm

Dorothy "Dorrie" Carskadon, 47, of Madison remains in the intensive care unit at the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood after undergoing surgery, said her brother, Trey Carskadon.

"She's lucid and in good spirits and talking. She's expected to make a full recovery," he said.

She was in a staging area with other soldiers getting medical shots before going overseas when the shooting erupted. She told her brother she thought it was a drill.

"A bullet grazed her head. Her first reaction was, 'It sure seemed awful real for a field exercise,' " said Trey Carskadon, who lives in Portland, Ore., and traveled to Texas to be with his sister in the hospital. Another shot hit her hip and a third bullet hit her in the stomach as she was assisting another soldier.

Dorrie Carskadon is a clinical social worker with the U.S. Army Reserve and an expert in post-traumatic stress disorder.

She and other wounded soldiers got a visit Friday from former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura, Trey Carskadon said.

"She doesn't understand what all the hubbub is about," Trey Carskadon said.

But he added, "On several levels, she is a hero. She's dedicated her life for no other purpose but to help others."

"She's a daughter of Portland, Ore., but calls Wisconsin home," Trey Carskadon said. "You can be proud of her courage. She did not run away from what was going on; she ran into harm's way to help other soldiers."

Article

Oh, she understands the hubbub. I have to admit I wish I was there to see her face when George Bush showed up to wish her well. I hope Obama is planning a visit... we watched the election returns together last November and she wept for joy (literally) when he won.

I guess that means if you want to send a card, you can send it to:

Captain Dorothy Carskadon, patient
Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center
Fort Hood Texas 76544

She needs all the moral support she can get. Not only does she have the physical rehabilitation to go through, but she probably knew some of the people who didn't survive and that's bound to be a heavy blow to her.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:48 pm

I talked to Dorry tonight and it sounds as though things are going very well. She opted to watch the memorial service from her hospital room today but she's able to move around a bit with the help of a walker. She says she's building up a fine collection of coins from all of the important people who stop by, including two Presidential coins from Bush and Obama. I guess everyone has a coin, even people with the secret service gave her a special secret service coin. She's wondering how she can display them so you can see both sides without making a dozen plexiglass cubes.

She said she personally knew seven of the people who were killed and that's probably harder than the physical trauma at this point. After leaving California, the Madison group was attached to another medical group in Topeka, Kansas and Fort Hood was their final staging area before heading to Afghanistan. They had just arrived at Fort Hood the day before the shooting and I gather they were at a medical facility for immunizations or physicals or something when the tragedy occurred.

Anyway, she's feeling well and expecting to be on her feet soon. She sounds to me as though she's in very good spirits given the circumstances. She's hoping to come back to Madison for rehabilitation, but she's still active duty and she'll have to go where they tell her to.

She's getting lots of cards and letters from family, friends and just general well-wishers. Her official address is:

Captain Dorothy Carskadon
36000 Darnall Loop
Darnall Hospital
Fort Hood TX 76544
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:37 pm

We need as many counselors with PTSD training as we can find. I hope Dorry is able to return to work and continue this mission. They could have ten times the counselors they have now, and still not have enough.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby klambake » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:43 pm

pj - thank you for telling us, and keeping us updated, about your friend who was a part of this terrible tragedy. So glad she's doing well and expected to recover completely. Very sorry to hear of her loss of friends and co-workers, can't imagine how difficult that must be.

I too hope that once she has recovered she will be able to return to offer her obvious compassion and expertise to those suffering from their war experience.
klambake

Postby angell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:59 am

Hey Paul,
My husband is one of the many veterans that Dorrie was helping. Three weeks ago he was in the kitchen and had an episode that lasted almost twenty minutes. He said he kept saying that he had to get to Dorrie because she was in trouble but someone was holding him back telling him he was too old to be any help. Can you let Dorrie know that she is really being thought of and we cannot wait to see her back in Madison! Thanks, wife of a Vet!
angell

Postby KidCapitol » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:43 pm

I'll start to care about the American soldiers when they stop going overseas and murdering innocent civillians.
"Heros" my ass.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:41 am

I talked with Dorry again this morning and she sounds like she's in amazingly good spirits. She's anxious to get back to work and they've ok'd her to come back to Madison, so any rehabilitation she needs she'll be able to get at the VA hospital here. It sounds like they're releasing her from active duty and she may be able to leave the hospital as early as Monday.

Her injuries are healing excellently and no sign of infection from the bullet she took to the stomach, which was probably the greatest danger she was facing after the initial injury. Her hip absorbed most of the blow from the other bullet so she says a lot of people with injuries to smaller bones are perhaps in worse shape. She's already up and moving around and hopes to be fully recovered within six weeks.

She said to thank all of the well-wishers back home and let you know she's doing great and on track to resume her life in very short order. She'll go back to counseling veterans and put this unfortunate episode behind her, which I think sounds like an excellent plan.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:45 am

P.S. She expects to set off metal detectors for the rest of her life, so don't be alarmed if you're behind her at the courthouse or the airport and she can't seem to get all her metal into the little tray.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:41 am

Sorry to hear about your friend and I hope she makes a full recovery.

Never should have happened in the first place.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:11 pm

KidCapitol wrote:I'll start to care about the American soldiers when they stop going overseas and murdering innocent civillians.
"Heros" my ass.

Debates about our wars belong elsewhere.

The soldiers at Fort Hood were shot by another American soldier on American soil. They all have families and friends who are either grieving or desperately worried about them.

Show some respect.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby minnow » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:20 pm

KidCapitol, you have a very narrow idea of what heroism is. These young men and women are going overseas to protect others, and help rebuild. I suspect that most of them really don't want to "Kill". They have been indocturnated by war games on TV and videos, on play station and Nintendo game packs. And you know that no one really gets killed on these games. I suspect that most would rather be home caring for their families. Get a clue. And these young men and women, were waylaid by one they thought was part of their medical support team.
minnow
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Headlines