MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Pawn America - A bank for heroin users?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Pawn America - A bank for heroin users?

Postby lysander » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Not my words, but according to a quote used by Chris Rickert of the Wisconsin State Journal.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

I've been there a couple times, didn't really seem seedier than its surroundings.

Anyone have any input on the store or the article?
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pawn America - A bank for heroin users?

Postby Walter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:31 am

There's a reason why all pawn transactions are recorded and sent to the Police Department.

Recovery of stolen property.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:40 pm

I don't have a problem with properly policed pawn shops. They might even make it easier to get your stuff back if it's stolen by some addict.

But I'm beginning to wonder how many resale stores, thrift stores, consignment stores, and junque shops Madison can support. Where there were five or six several years ago, now there are dozens. Who pays retail any more?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Out of curiosity, I stopped by Pawn America today.

First, the "money windows" where people are selling/pawning their stuff was a mob scene. You'd swear they were selling leftover Packer tickets.

The crap in the store was just that. Crap.

If you remember what Music-Go-Round was like before they went out of business — that's what Pawn America is — tons and tons of useless crap.

Half of the crap looks like stuff Pawn America bought from their customers. The other half of the crap looks like closeout items they bought from a wholesaler.

Don't bother making the trip. I did it for ya.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:04 pm

They had a treadmill and an elliptical machine when I was there that looked pretty high end and heavy duty. They were both about 1200 bucks. About the same or maybe a little more than 2nd Wind or any other shop would have wanted.

A few used power tools that looked in reasonable shape and a little pricey. The rest of it was crap.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 am

I forgot to mention the employees.

If you remember the "leftovers" that Circuit Shitty employed before it's demise — those same folks were unfrozen and put to work at Pawn America.

If you're expecting Pawn Stars type stuff, I'd recommend you head to Vegas.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wesmon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:57 am

snoqueen wrote:I don't have a problem with properly policed pawn shops. They might even make it easier to get your stuff back if it's stolen by some addict.

But I'm beginning to wonder how many resale stores, thrift stores, consignment stores, and junque shops Madison can support. Where there were five or six several years ago, now there are dozens. Who pays retail any more?

A sign of our economic times. The title loan and check advance places are even worse. I have used pawn shops to make it through to payday more than once, but I will never go the title loan route. Once they got you you're probably gonna lose your car.
Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:45 am

Wesmon wrote:A sign of our economic times. The title loan and check advance places are even worse. I have used pawn shops to make it through to payday more than once, but I will never go the title loan route. Once they got you you're probably gonna lose your car.

I thought recent legislation cracking down on payday lenders also banned auto title loans in Wisconsin.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:48 am

lysander wrote:Anyone have any input on the store or the article?

As anyone who grew up in Minnesota during the 90s can tell you: Pawn America is right for you! CDs and movies, even jewelry too!
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wesmon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Wesmon wrote:A sign of our economic times. The title loan and check advance places are even worse. I have used pawn shops to make it through to payday more than once, but I will never go the title loan route. Once they got you you're probably gonna lose your car.

I thought recent legislation cracking down on payday lenders also banned auto title loans in Wisconsin.

Ah, I didn't know that. Probably a good thing but of course it does nothing to address the reasons people are forced to go to these places to scrape by.
Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Song About Heroin Used To Advertise Bank
http://www.theonion.com/articles/song-a ... bank,1489/
--the onion, 14.iv.2001
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nyrv » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:38 pm

No, Pawn America is not a bank for Heroin Users. Granted they get in some people that they would rather not do business with, but most people that go through are honest people just in a little bit of needy times. The stuff they put out. Yes. Its a pawn shop. Of course they put out what they take in. The Employees. Are Hired. Not "Re Thawed". How about you do a bit more investigating before you come to conclusions. Maybe talk to an employee? A Pawn Customer? Maybe really find out why they're there.

No they don't take titles for cars. With the previous answer to the question is correct. WI Legislation will not allow someone to "Pawn" they're title.

If you have a problem with the prices of the merchandise. Ask a employee. Find a better pricing somewhere else or bring up a valid statement why it should be lowered in price.
Nyrv

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 am

Nyrv wrote:No, Pawn America is not a bank for Heroin Users...

Are you a Pawn America manager or an employee?
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:03 am

Nyrv wrote:No, Pawn America is not a bank for Heroin Users. Granted they get in some people that they would rather not do business with, but most people that go through are honest people just in a little bit of needy times. The stuff they put out. Yes. Its a pawn shop. Of course they put out what they take in. The Employees. Are Hired. Not "Re Thawed". How about you do a bit more investigating before you come to conclusions. Maybe talk to an employee? A Pawn Customer? Maybe really find out why they're there.

No they don't take titles for cars. With the previous answer to the question is correct. WI Legislation will not allow someone to "Pawn" they're title.

If you have a problem with the prices of the merchandise. Ask a employee. Find a better pricing somewhere else or bring up a valid statement why it should be lowered in price.

Hahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

Welcome to Pawn America, the only corporation in the world where a college degree (or high school diploma, apparently) is obviously not required!

And really, America... corporate pawn? Really? Even the pawn business is now being ripped from the hands of the little man?

I used to think those who desired to go "off the grid" were crazy. Now I'm fairly sure the crazies are those of us who don't GTFO.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:26 am

All I know is I snagged a sweet tube tester at Pawn America for a song because they didn't know what the hell it was (literally, the guy in charge of the instruments/electronics section essentially admitted as much).

News flash: The majority of what you find in pawn shops runs from run of the mill to total crap. What a revelation. So yeah, this place is a junkyard and y'all should stay away ... far away. Appreciate the favor.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines