MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Vicki McKenna doubles down on hate and paranoia

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Vicki McKenna doubles down on hate and paranoia

Postby Grubendol » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Madison's most infamous provider of a daily Two Minutes' Hate -- Vicki McKenna, has had quite the meltdown on Facebook today over the Tucson shootings. Excuse me, make that the national conversation over political rhetoric that has followed.

Her latest spasm is over a joint press release issued this afternoon by two Wisconsin legislators:
Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Madison) and Rep. Robin Vos (R-Rochester) call for civility.

This week Wisconsin lawmakers begin their first committee hearings under a call for a special session. Assuredly, there will be many contentious and lively debates dealing with everything from tax breaks to tort reform as state lawmakers make difficult and potentially controversial decisions. With so much at stake during the legislative session and in light of the events of this past weekend in Tucson, Arizona, we are calling for civility in politics. We encourage the citizens of the state of Wisconsin to embrace their freedoms of speech and peaceful assembly.

We are two lawmakers from two different parts of the state and more importantly, two different political parties. The people we represent couldn’t be more different; an urban area and a sprawling suburb. Our opinions are on two opposite sides of a coin. However, we both love the State of Wisconsin; we both want the citizens of the great state to prosper and thrive. We agree that we will disagree and have become friends in spite of our divergent opinions.

Politics actually created our friendship. We became acquainted more than 4 years ago when we worked on the budget-writing Joint Finance Committee. We developed a mutual respect for each other. Yet we have had countless heated public debates on topics like economic development, taxes and education. We have listened to each others’ opinions and rarely agreed on any policy decisions, yet we would often grab a bite to eat after our heated debates. We will continue those debates these next two years.

We understand that for many people these are desperate times. Unemployment rate in the state as of November is 7.6%. Public opinion of the economy and federal governments is generally negative. Whatever your personal situation and political perspective, we welcome your participation in our representative democracy. Today our message is simple: we support rigorous political debate, without violence. We should use this opportunity to remind ourselves that one of the best thing’s about living in a democracy is our freedom to disagree.

McKenna responds:
score one for marc pocan: robin vos caves to the argument that the TONE is the problem. no, it's not. the POLICY is the problem. the TONE is a distraction. i may get heat for saying this, but i'm VERY disappointed.

and

well, robin vos just accepted the bullsh** narrative that somehow the TONE of political discourse is dangerous. the tone doesn't matter if the if you SPEAK THE TRUTH. marc pocan wins this one, because he doesn't speak the truth. so as long as the left can get the republicans to agree that the problem is the TONE, they're still in the game.

and

I began the day angry. I end the day angry.

(What else is new?)

As is the case with all of the right-wingers losing control and throwing temper tantrums over the statements by the Pima County Sheriff calling for cooler rhetoric that name neither party nor person, McKenna doth protest too much here. The fact that she could disagree with this speaks directly to her incapability as seeing politics as anything other than a war, or a game, or whatever purely oppositional metaphor one can use.

This immedately follows McKenna's reference to Pocan as "garbage," first as quoted in a State Journal article and then again this afternoon.

McKenna screams:
this is what marc pocan was grousing about when he said i called him a piece of human garbage. he neglected to reference the CONTEXT. marc pocan IS a piece of garbage..you can tell, because he STINKS.

Tell us what you really think Vicki. Tell us, what do you do with "garbage"? What do you want to do with "garbage"? We're all listening.

Here is more eliminationist derangement from the unstable and potentially violent local right wing from just the last few hours.

McKenna:
pocan, you're a pig

A deranged listener (on Pocan):
u shouldn't insult pigs like that, now pile of pig sh@% is better

McKenna:
i figure you can't fix crazy. you just try not to be around the crazy ones when they go off. and if you are, better to be armed

A deranged listener (on a CBS story on an e-commerce verification system):
I better buy more ammo before this happens

McKenna on State Journal article:
because as i like to say repeatedly: hypocrisy, while a condition of humanity, is an INFECTION of the left. and they hate us, heather, so it's ok.

A deranged reader on a gun control bill proposed in the wake of the shooting:
I wonder what would happen it the left ever tried to disarm America?
The World's Largest Army.
The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed. That's great, considering there were over 600,000 hu...nters that got permits this year.
Allow me to restate that number.
Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world - more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined - deployed to the woods of a single American state to keep the deer population under control.
But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week. Michigan 's 700,000 hunters have now returned home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia , and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.
And that is just FOUR states.
The total population of registered hunters in America today ranges from 23 million to 43.7 million individuals. (Based on annual data provided by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.)
As long as the American Hunter retains his right to Bear Arms, America will forever be safe from foreign invasion of troops.(And, possibly our OWN misguided troops!)
Hunting - it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of National Security!

And that's from just the last 24 hours.

The first thing she posted this morning was a note that was an email forwarded from her boss, and originally written by a local writer criticizing McKenna for her hateful and violence-inciting rhetoric.

It reads:
On Friday, the day before the mass murder in Arizona, this photograph appeared on the UpFront page of the WIBA website. Obviously, I am not saying that the shooting is Vicki McKenna's fault. Clearly, Jared Loughner is mentally ill. He did not express a specific political motive for his actions, though he did espouse a strong anti-government sentiment. He implicitly justifies his actions as revolutionary rather than those of a terrorist. We can't know what was really going on inside his head, but it would be naive to assume that this happened in a vacuum. The political atmosphere in this country is utterly toxic. Our nation is horribly divided and partisan. And frankly, commentators on television and radio are doing a great deal of harm by fanning the flames of hatred and expressing more than a little bit of violent rhetoric. To be fair, blame can be assessed on both sides of the aisle.

I occasionally listen to McKenna's show. I totally disagree with her, but I listen because I'm curious as to what she might be talking about on any given day. I firmly believe that she is often rather irresponsible in terms of the way she expresses her positions on many issues. She uses wedge issues to stir the pot and make her listeners as angry as possible. She strives to demonize liberals, progressives and what she likes to call the "looney left." She is very adept at phrasing things as Us versus Them, and the Them are painted as outsiders, not like Us, but against Us, even out to destroy Us and our way of life.

What happened in Arizona is tragic, but the real tragedy is that it could have happened here. It could have happened anywhere. I want to be clear that while I don't agree with McKenna, I respect her right to say what she pleases. However, *****she needs to acknowledge some responsible for the toxic tone of the current state of political discourse.**** I'm reminded of some years ago when Joe Wineke used to co-host with McKenna. They didn't agree on anything, but he was always respectful of her and the callers. One day, a regular caller, for no apparent reason, started screaming at Wineke, calling him elitist and claiming that Wineke thinks he's stupid. The only reason for the caller's outburst was because McKenna had done such a good job of whipping up hatred for liberals among her listeners.

I respectfully request that you urge McKenna to denounce what happened in Arizona, renounce violence and remind her listeners that people they disagree with are opponents, not enemies, that they are fellow Americans and that the way to deal with people from the other side is with words, organizing and activism and voting, not violence and intimidation.

Thanks.

As pointed out by McKenna, the photo referenced is one of three of her handguns, posted on Friday morning and referencing her remote broadcast that afternoon from a gun range in Deerfield.

82 comments followed, supporting McKenna and attacking her critic. Here's one that sums it up pretty well:
Our political environment is toxic. But what do people expect? In a supposedly "free" country our government is unresposive to the will of the people. In a very clear voice we've said less government, less spending, no more deficits, no mor...e intrusive laws. No more! and yet government keeps growing. Through taxes liberals are enslaved to the military industrial complex. Through taxes conservatives are enslaved to the socio-unindustrial complex. through government debt and currency inflation we're all enslaved to the big bank and foriegn creditors. Sooner or later one side or the other is going to explode. And that is the very reason govenment must be kept small and un-intrusive.
I believe this is a JFK quote, and I'm not sure the verbage is exact, but "those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable".

There you have it. "Sooner or later one side or the other is going to explode." So spake a right-winger in a public discussion decrying others' calls for civility.

We all know what side that will be, because we saw it on Saturday, we saw it on April 19, 1995, and we've seen it throughout American history.

Vicki McKenna is doubling down on the rhetoric of hate and incitement, and is clearly egging her fans on to do the same.

QFT
Last edited by Grubendol on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grubendol

Re: Vicky McKenna doubles down on hate and paranoia

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Vicki is nothing but a dried-out, talentless, old hag.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vicki McKenna doubles down on hate and paranoia

Postby Grubendol » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:49 pm

She may be that, but she is also a high-profile political personality in southern Wisconsin, broadcast on strong signals in both the Madison and Milwaukee markets that number more than 2 million people.

Now, along with defending her past rhetoric of violence and hate, she is escalating her dangerous behavior by fixating on a specific individual, Wisconsin Rep. Mark Pocan, by referring to him as "garbage" multiple times and encouraging her fans to pile on. That she would behave this way at anytime speaks to her lack of character, but in the context of today, it is inexcusable.

I would like to know what the management at WIBA and Clear Channel think of this. Even better, I would like Mary Spicuzza or Bill Lueders to ask Jeff Kuehl (the Clear Channel market manager) what he thinks of his afternoon drive-time personality calling a local state representative "garbage" less than 48 hours after the attempted assassination of a U.S. Rep similarly targeted over the last four years.

How far is too far when it comes to local political hate-mongerers like Vicki?
Grubendol

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Your post there represents quite a bit of time listening to someone you purport to hate. Perhaps that time would be better spent doing something productive, like painting your basement or practicing the piano.

Listening to something like Dan Hicks & the Hot Licks, which is how I spent my drive time this evening, would have been a great alternative.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Grubendol » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Where did I say I spent any time listening to McKenna, or for that matter, where did I say that I hate her? I didn't, and I don't. I simply cut and paste the effluvia overflowing her Facebook profile, a simple matter.

It may be easy to put words in others' mouths, but I think it's more important to pay attention to what people actually do say or write, no matter how unpleasant or uncomfortable it may be.

Thanks for the music tip, though. The Smith Westerns are another great alternative, and you can even listen to them online while posting on a forum.
Grubendol

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Jason, I disagree with you. I learned a few things from reading that long posting, because I don't have the stomach or the spare time to listen to McKenna. I hadn't realized things were that bad right here in Wisconsin. Bad, yes, but not THAT bad. Wow.

I have given my opinion elsewhere as to what reasonable politicians of both parties should be advocating at this time. I believe with some leadership, we can relegate this type of threat-based political discourse to the same corner we've relegated the n-word. Sure, people use that word at redneck bars and probably always will. But it isn't big on mainstream media, and I'd like us as a country to say the same for this over-the-top violence talk in the near future.

First it's useful to know precisely what's out there, and that is what the person who started this thread had to offer.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Grubendol wrote:How far is too far when it comes to local political hate-mongerers like Vicki?

The violent right won't care until it happens to one of their own.

Most of them appear to be enjoying the whole thing.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Thank you Grubendol for your informative post. Vicki McKenna's hate mongering is particularly vile and despicable. Like Jason Joyce I do not listen to right wing radio or watch right wing television. I appreciate people like you who document the disgusting hate that spills out of this pathetic woman's mouth on a daily basis.

I feel sorry for Vicki McKenna. Something really bad had to have happened to her to make her so ugly and hateful. I pray for Vicki McKenna. I sincerely hope she gets the counseling and help that she needs for her serious mental illness. She is a very sick and disturbed individual.

I understand that it is probably futile but I call on the radio stations that broadcast her vile and disgusting commentary to replace her with a right winger who is mentally stable. For instance, David Blaska would do a great job representing the right wing viewpoint on the radio.
PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Personally, I think her rhetoric is calculated. She is deliberately using this tragic event to stir things up to get ratings. She's ambitious.....wants to play in the big leagues. She's also very irresponsible, but that comes right along with not having a conscience.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:03 am

I tune in mainly on days when traffic is snarled while waiting for a road report. I'd hate for people to tune in hoping to hear a hatefest every day. Most of the time her show is pretty predictable and boring, but I have to admit when she starts screeching I turn the dial before she gets too wound up. I probably miss the hate speech.

She usually is stuck leading some K-Street or righty think tank hacks, who, I guess serve as "experts," through some pretty embarrassing "interviews." I do like Randall O'Toole, but the rest are just tools. Don't try to call, by the way, if you want to oppose any misinformation being spewed. Only cheerleaders get on.

Sometimes she has a local sidekick who serves as a ditto box. Pretty shallow discussions and some mild name-calling ensue, as they try to top each other in showing their trailer park ignorance.

I guess Vicki reminds me of my Aunt Helen, who talked incessantly and forcefully about subjects she hadn't a clue about. Poor Aunt Helen died of a brain bleed, a fate I would have wished on Vicki up until political correctness set in on this forum.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 am

Vicki McKenna? The "big leagues?" Check this video at about the 1:29 mark to see why the "big leagues" will always elude our little town's version of Dr. Laura.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WiscTvChann ... cAv4WM-qLI

'Nuff said.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:17 am

Donald wrote:I guess Vicki reminds me of my Aunt Helen, who talked incessantly and forcefully about subjects she hadn't a clue about. Poor Aunt Helen died of a brain bleed, a fate I would have wished on Vicki up until political correctness set in on this forum.

Well, Donald, at least you're not sinking to her level....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 am

Yeah, it does read a bit harsh, and not what I intended. My point is that when she gets all wound up and screechy, she sounds like my relative who ended up with a stroke.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:24 am

jjoyce wrote:Vicki McKenna? The "big leagues?" Check this video at about the 1:29 mark to see why the "big leagues" will always elude our little town's version of Dr. Laura.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WiscTvChann ... cAv4WM-qLI

'Nuff said.

Jason, I said she aspired to it, not that she has what it takes. The world is full of people who think they're great, and are tragically wrong.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:53 pm

I am seriously worried about the future stability of this country. In reading comments addressing a NYT editorial yesterday, I found most to be thoughtful and while calm, there was no mistaking the anger and worry expressed by so many. All of those rightfully pointed to the likely problem with what passes for political discourse in this country now as well as where the vast majority of the spewing is coming from (big hint - it is NOT coming from the left). And there were of course, several comments which refused to acknowledge that the caustic invective coming from the right wingnuts has anything to do with the current climate in which a mentally unstable person might see a way to act.

When did blatant lies become transformed into 'legitimate opinon'? The American people WANTED health care reform and yet in the face of that well-documented fact, some republicans and fringe types continue to shrill that the will of the people was being ignored. It was NOT being ignored, they just didn't like the way it was being addressed and yet, like bratty kids, they refused to be part of the process if they couldn't have their own way.

How is it that some republicans can be highly selective in who and what they listen to and then lay claim to 'doing the people's will'? And these individuals will only call legitimate those opinions which completely agree with what they want, not necessarily anything factual. When presented with the facts and figures from the nonpartisan Congressional budget office regarding adding to the national debt by repealing the health care bill, Boehner has already said that that they are 'entitled to their opinion'. When they hear facts they don't like, it is an 'opinion' and gets dismissed out of hand. When did everyone become entitled to their own facts instead of their own opinions?

The electorate, in its grand ignorance, has elected congressional representatives who have stated repeatedly that they "will not compromise" - how on earth is this going to help this country? Why would any good citizen want as a representative a Michelle Bachmann who has plainly stated that she wants "her constituents armed and dangerous?" What are the good people of Minnesota thinking by electing someone who likes to yell "FIRE!" in a crowded public place? And she is only one example.

When did ginning up the populace with sensationalistic fictions become a legitimate form of free political speech? What have we become?

I am a liberal Democrat who does not believe that conservative or Republican are dirty words, any more than 'liberal' or 'Democrat' automatically indicate some sort of slime mold form of life. Nor do I believe that those who identify as conservative/Republican should have cross hairs painted over their districts or their photos or that liberals/Democrats should "lock and load" rather than talk to our fellow citizens. I know there are good and reasonable conservatives and Republicans out there, but where are they? If they don't start to be heard I have little hope of this country surviving.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Headlines