MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Vicki McKenna doubles down on hate and paranoia

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Vicki McKenna doubles down on hate and paranoia

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 pm

gargantua wrote:Personally, I think her rhetoric is calculated. She is deliberately using this tragic event to stir things up to get ratings. She's ambitious.....wants to play in the big leagues. She's also very irresponsible, but that comes right along with not having a conscience.

She went from Z104 to AM talk.

The pinnacle of her career went away with NKOTB and Vanilla Ice.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cainabel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 pm

When did blatant lies become transformed into 'legitimate opinon'? The American people WANTED health care reform and yet in the face of that well-documented fact,

they refused to be part of the process if they couldn't have their own way.

Whether the American people wanted healthcare reform in the form of the Obama healthcare bill is open for debate and discussion. Data would not support it as being fact.
Also your opinion of Republicans not wanting to be a part of the process is largely inaccurate. If I remember right there was over some 700 amendments offered by the Republicans which somewhere near 150 were accepted. That is not just sitting on the sidelines, or taking one's ball and going home. I realize that one could make the argument that most of those were technical or were unrealistic amendments which had no chance of adoption, however; one could also make the argument that Democrats and the White House had already shown their level of willingness to cooperate with the interesting procedures used in order to get the bill to a vote. Fairness and transparency could be called in to question. It isn't as cut and dry as many would like to believe. If you have sources which may help me turn your opinions to facts in my mind please post them. I on the other hand believe there was and still is plenty of debate as to what the American people actually wanted in regards to healthcare reform.

Being on the more conservative side of the political spectrum I appreciate your decision to not join in liberals demonizing conservatives merely because of their label. I try to think that way as well! Many Liberal Democrats are not as reasonable or reflective as you are. Unfortunately,even your own post passionately puts forth a couple opinions and/or debatable points as facts. This happens on both sides, media and information outlets run with opinions and analysis and presents them as fact, this isn't exclusive to just one side. My opinion is that the result is an attitude of one side asking how the other could be so ignorant, foolish. From there it is not far to conclude they are stupid, evil, or hatemongers etc etc. Of course with that language (comes from both sides) people get defensive and usually react negatively rather than intelligently or with reason.
When Mark Pocan (just an example, not a generalization) and a good deal of the national media refers to a group with a certain common concern as a vulgar euphemism, he is not countering a differing political opinion, he is disrespecting and dismissing their opinion crudely and it is not surprising the response is similar. Many only want to see part of the exchange and make judgements which fit their opinions and beliefs. This of course happens on both sides, but to act like the vitriol and tone originates from only one side of the spectrum is ridiculous. Everyone thinks their opinions are facts, Everyone thinks their side is right, Everyone thinks the other side is at best misguided and foolish, and Everyone is human and is prone to lack of civility when passionate subjects are debated. Using tragic events coupled with opinions to further demonize or discredit a political foe is dishonest, and adds to the uncivil tone and convinces no one. Just because one side yells louder and uses more witty labels doesn't mean their opinions are realistic and true!
cainabel

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:38 pm

cainabel wrote:[When Mark Pocan (just an example, not a generalization) and a good deal of the national media refers to a group with a certain common concern as a vulgar euphemism, he is not countering a differing political opinion, he is disrespecting and dismissing their opinion crudely and it is not surprising the response is similar.

If you're talking about "tea bagger," remember that it's the tea crowd themselves who adopted that label, in conjunction with their "mail a tea bag to the whitehouse" schtick. "Tea bag the liberal dems before they tea bag you!"

Understandable blunder, since tea bagging skews gay and the tea party skews homophobic (and homo-ignorant), but that just made it all the sweeter. Once they put it out there, there's no WAY the media could let that meatball cross the plate. It was just too good.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:10 pm

George Packer says it well...

In fact, there is no balance -- none whatsoever. Only one side has made the rhetoric of armed revolt against an oppressive tyranny the guiding spirit of its grassroots movement and its midterm campaign. Only one side routinely invokes the Second Amendment as a form of swagger and intimidation, not-so-coyly conflating rights with threats. Only one side's activists bring guns to democratic political gatherings. Only one side has a popular national TV host who uses his platform to indoctrinate viewers in the conviction that the President is an alien, totalitarian menace to the country. Only one side fills the AM waves with rage and incendiary falsehoods. Only one side has an iconic leader, with a devoted grassroots following, who can't stop using violent imagery and dividing her countrymen into us and them, real and fake. Any sentient American knows which side that is; to argue otherwise is disingenuous.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/g ... sited.html
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cainabel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:19 pm

but that just made it all the sweeter. Once they put it out there, there's no WAY the media could let that meatball cross the plate. It was just too good.

Oh I am fully aware the context, origination and adoption of the euphemism, as well I am sure those who it is used against still to this day! Everyone from Anderson Cooper to Forons to our elected leaders could not pass up that gift huh? You think tea partiers are so dumb they don't know when they are being crudely insulted and their (to them) legitimate concerns are being marginalized? So why suprised when an insult of someone being "garbage" is returned? And that is how it continues forever and ever Amen.
This newfound toning down of the rhetoric and uncivil speech will it remain just until another:
meatball cross the plate.
cainabel

Postby cainabel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52 pm

George Packer is seemingly out of touch with reality and just plain wrong no matter how well he says it:

http://nagarjunaa.blogspot.com/2010/04/death-threats-against-bush-at-protests.html

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/01/dem-congressman-who-called-gop-gov-be-put-against-wall-and-shot-n

Black Panthers with nightsticks at polling places, and with assualt weapons in 2000 at the state Republican convention?

there is much more of course for both sides, but Mr Packer sees just what he wants to.........
And it goes on and on........
cainabel

Postby jasonj » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

The suspect in the AZ shooting reminds me of a local nut living near me.
Here is a sign he posted on his property. The nut job I speak of changes his signage almost every week to another crazy message.
Here is the image of the sign this guy had posted on his property
How is that for HATE SPEECH? Sort of scary how the message was almost accurate! I wonder what this local (previous town board member) knew when he posted this message?
jasonj

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:29 pm

jasonj wrote:The suspect in the AZ shooting reminds me of a local nut living near me.
Here is a sign he posted on his property. The nut job I speak of changes his signage almost every week to another crazy message.
Here is the image of the sign this guy had posted on his property
How is that for HATE SPEECH? Sort of scary how the message was almost accurate! I wonder what this local (previous town board member) knew when he posted this message?

Too late. It's already happened.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm

It always cracks me up when someone says "the American people want this or that" as if the American people were one living breathing entity. The best you can say is some people want this and some people want that.

but this thread is about Vicki McKenna which brings up the related issue of mental illness. I hope Vicki McKenna gets the psychiatric care that she so badly needs.
PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:20 am

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:but this thread is about Vicki McKenna which brings up the related issue of mental illness. I hope Vicki McKenna gets the psychiatric care that she so badly needs.

Popeye's posting is an example of civil discourse that I can heartily endorse.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm

cainabel wrote:You think tea partiers are so dumb they don't know when they are being crudely insulted and their (to them) legitimate concerns are being marginalized?

Not exactly. Those early self-identified teabaggers were dumb to choose the term, but they realized their boner pretty quickly once the world starting laughing.

The tea party is a creepy mix of misinformation, bigotry, hypocrisy, faux populism, and fear. If I couldn't laugh at it, I'd have to cry—so I owe those baggers a debt of gratitude.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Ducatista wrote:Those early self-identified teabaggers were dumb to choose the term, but they realized their boner pretty quickly once the world starting laughing.

Outstanding.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Grubendol » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:22 pm

She just can't help herself.

Now McKenna is riffing on the Althouse and Blaska-approved contrived poutrage over the Mercury Players Theatre staging of "The Last Supper" -- a play in which a group of liberal caricatures go on a killing spree of conservative caricatures (and eventually people they just don't like), and end up getting killed themselves by one of their targets.

McKenna has interpreted this as license to fantasize herself about killing liberals, or at least the caricatured versions of liberals that haunt her warped imagination.

She solicited Facebook fans today to lend her a hand with these death fantasies, writing: "listmania! 101 things to do with a dead liberal! discuss! and remember, it's SATIRE!"

The comments are the typical ignorance and projection you'd expect from her brain-dead minions, complete with references to lynching. More interesting is one by McKenna herself, stating that she also did an on-air bit about this on WIBA yesterday, but was apparently prohibited from doing the same by her bosses on WISN in Milwaukee. At least one of the big talk stations in Wisconsin has standards, however minimal they might be.
Grubendol

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Grubendol wrote:The comments are the typical ignorance and projection you'd expect

Kind of like your thread here. Why are you getting so worked up about satirical comedy? Jeez, lighten up. Some people just don't get it.

You obviously idolize the woman or you wouldn't spend so much time stalking her.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby Grubendol » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Yes, following a Facebook page is so time-consuming, I'm sure it's a serious investment for all of her 3,000 stalkers there. :roll:

It's all of the right-wing crybabies who are getting worked up over this silly play, pissing and moaning on their blogs and radio shows for days now. And please, if the roles were reversed in the play, and it was about conservatives killing liberals, they would be whining just as loudly that it was some kind of "blood libel." Anything to portray themselves as victims of those mean liberals.

If McKenna's rants are satire that's at an equivalent level to the play, what do you think her comeuppance should be for her death fantasies?
Grubendol

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines