MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

High Speed Rail article in Alternet

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: High Speed Rail article in Alternet

Postby Boyce Johnson » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 am

I'm a member of Community Car, and it's great for trips around town. A decent commuter rail system would potentially compete with it, but it's no good for trips to Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. I rent cars for those kinds of trips and sometimes fly, but I would definitely rather use high speed rail.
Boyce Johnson
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:19 am

Lily wrote: traveling long distance on a bus is overly-lengthy and not enjoyable.
Flown lately? Give me a break. Thanks to the peace-lovers, flying has become one of the most onerous tasks imaginable.

Lily wrote:incorporating the high-speed train would have:
*helped preserve roads by transporting freight to and from cities, at a much faster pace and at a cheaper rate for businesses.
Freight lines between major cities already exist.
Lily wrote:*provided an alternative travel mode that was fast to visit Chicago, Milwaukee, MN and points in-between
*expanded opportunities for profit for any business located at a train stop.
Yes, but at what cost? Private jets and limos would do the same, but like rail, those options aren't efficient.
Lily wrote:*more environmentally friendly
*decreasing our reliance on oil .
Trains can't take enough cars off the road to make a difference.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:29 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Thanks to the peace-lovers, flying has become one of the most onerous tasks imaginable.
You're blaming the bullshit that is airport security on liberals? Huh? Ineffective, knee-jerk, irrational responses to boogeyman threats were the province of the Republican Party last time I checked. How can you possibly say this is a lefty thing?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44 am

Bland wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Thanks to the peace-lovers, flying has become one of the most onerous tasks imaginable.
You're blaming the bullshit that is airport security on liberals? Huh? Ineffective, knee-jerk, irrational responses to boogeyman threats were the province of the Republican Party last time I checked. How can you possibly say this is a lefty thing?

Nah, "peace-lovers" is Ned's tongue in check term for Muslims. I'd say he is witty, but only half so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines