MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Return of the Son of Snowpocalypse!!!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Return of the Son of Snowpocalypse!!!

Postby mlmaguire » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:My neighbor always shovels, lawn-mows, and leaf rakes about 6 feet past the property line. Rationally, I should be glad he's doing my work for me.

But deep down it seems like he's trying to steal my proppity.

In order to resolve this issue, you must answer one question: Is your proppity worth stealing? If so, then the only solution is: electrified fencing? Or just start complaining about the job they are doing ("Y'know, you could get down to bare cement right here if you REALLY tried").
mlmaguire

Postby mlmaguire » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Roof-raking: I do it, because my house is a bazillion years old and tragically underinsulated, and I got freaked out hearing about how F'ed up my roof was gonna be if I wasn't doing it. Not sure if it helps or not in terms of damming. It does help to stop my driveway from turning into an ice rink (driveway abuts the house, melting snow on the roof goes over the frozen gutters and drips all over, driveway so slick that lawsuits are possible). The only caveat: shoulda had my roof reshingled last year, and now everytime I rake, I take off a few loose, worn-out shingles.
When is spring again, exactly?
mlmaguire

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:40 pm

mlmaguire wrote:In order to resolve this issue, you must answer one question: Is your proppity worth stealing?

Only if they discover that creeping charlie is a powerful aphrodesiac.

Or if the earwig king returns.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby klambake » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks to you all for letting up on the "It's WI, it's winter, this is nothing" talk. This 'event' was/is a friggin' big deal! Friends in South Dakota are warning about the -25+ temps/wind chills to come.

I spent about 3 hours shoveling out today. Had a couple 3-4 foot drifts to break through and SERIOUSLY a 4' high by 4' wide WALL at the end of the drive. I gave up 8' of driveway in front of my car (no garage) to a megadrift - spring's coming, right? Thankfully, my across the street neighbor did the last 4' X 6" at the end of the drive with his mega snow blower. That is the part with the heaviest, gunkiest snow - and now the end of my drive is wide enough for me to get through!

Actually I don't feel horrible - first time in a long while I've worked out! Nice to get those exercise endorphins! I'm with 'sno' - it was a sunny day, the neighbors were out working together and we got dug out. And, I'm a non-essential City worker, so I'll be taking vacation or making up the time I missed today.
klambake

Postby c02 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Maeve wrote:We're at the end of the block and he had a snotful of snowplow ready to be deployed at my driveway's base. I rested against my shovel, waiting for the inevitable. (“Blindfold, please!”) Didn't want to be rude to an obviously hardworking person. Instead he pulls into our driveway and finishes the job for me, including my neighbor's side. Took him less than 45 seconds. What a guy! What a plow!

Had the same experience yesterday. Not so much them doing anything *for* me but I was out particularly early clearing the corner and rather than pile me in while I was out clearing the area in front of and around the corner in the street, they drove by and down the other side of the street and waited to clear our side. They also took care to not stuff the corner back up. However today, completely different. 5'-6' high pile about 5' wide across the entire corner. The other three corners, knee high. Not to mention the 5' pile shoved up over the sidewalk adjoining our 4' high drift in the yard. Walking down our sidewalk is like walking through a mini-canyon.

Grateful for the care on Tuesday morning, not thrilled about the dump today. I know it has to go somewhere but does 80% of it have to find its way on to our corner alone? This is one of those times I yearn for the self-propelled two-stage we once had. It doesn't help our little one is in need of new rotors. Our single-stage snow thrower is more of a single-stage snow dropper.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby seashells » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:52 am

Speaking of being neighborly, if I'm the guy with the snowblower, for how many houses on either side of my house do I have to blowout the sidewalk in order to not look like a jerk? My house is about a quarter to a third of the way down the block.
seashells

Postby c02 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39 am

I struggle with the same thing but one has to cut it off somewhere. I've done half our block at times but most of the time, I'll just do 4-5 other homes. If I have time and the snow isn't too heavy, I'll cover three corners BUT if someone has already done a walkway, I'll stop at their house. No rhyme or reason; it just seems like a logical spot at the time.

I have to admit, with dumps like the other day, I don't do as much because there is so much on our corner. I don't get to the neighbors like I normally would. I would think if your neighbors see you are doing multiple people, they get it. I always feel sheepish turning around but like I said, the cutoff has to occur somewhere.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:53 pm

I wanna give a shout out to one of my neighbors--Dexter's Pub. I live a few houses down from Dexter's, and when they hauled out their snowblower the morning after, they not only handled the sidewalk halfway down Johnson and halfway down North, but dug out the driveways as well. I can't tell you how nice it was to only have to shovel my 40-foot driveway, and tunnel to the front door....

Thanks, guys!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 pm

seashells wrote:Speaking of being neighborly, if I'm the guy with the snowblower, for how many houses on either side of my house do I have to blowout the sidewalk in order to not look like a jerk? My house is about a quarter to a third of the way down the block.

In my case it's laid out for me. About three houses in one direction, two houses in the other, and I run into the other guys with snowblowers or the family with three kids who get out there and throw snow around like a batch of tasmanian devils obliterating the snow.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Rule: in the absence of other variables (people with big teenage sons, people with their own big snowblowers) you should do an equal number of houses on each side of your own house. Doesn't matter how many, as long as you keep it equal.

Alternate rule: you can do houses in only one direction if the last one you do belongs to old people who need help with the shoveling.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Well, I'm a shoveler - so I don't really have any strong opinions on this. But I do wonder if there's some way that we can collectively thank all the selfless blow-jockeys of Madison.

Some kind of 'Salute to Our Carhart-clad Heroes' event...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Porgy & Bess for the Snowpocolypse
(apologies to Gershwin and Heyward)

Wintertime and the livin' ain't easy
Plows are jumpin' and the snowdrifts are high
My longjohns itch and my hand's all chappy
So push little blower, don't you die

One of these mornings you gonna rise up coughin'
Gonna spin your bale and take to the snow
But 'til that mornin' ain't nothing can start you
So push little blower, don't you die
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 am

snoqueen wrote:Rule: in the absence of other variables (people with big teenage sons, people with their own big snowblowers) you should do an equal number of houses on each side of your own house. Doesn't matter how many, as long as you keep it equal.

Alternate rule: you can do houses in only one direction if the last one you do belongs to old people who need help with the shoveling.

Any suggestions for dealing with the neighbor who won't help with the foreclosure/estate next door to him, when I already do 180 feet of sidewalk?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:30 am

Awhile back, my brother lived next door to Bill Bradley, recently the Republican candidate for IL governor. Bradley never made any attempt to shovel his sidewalk, not even a little.

My brother would do a bunch of the sidewalks on the block, if he had time, but never Bradley's. Bro figured that if Bradley was going to be a jerk, why should he lift a finger to make Bradley look like a good citizen?

As a manual shoveler, I try to do a little bit, and occasionally all of my neighbor's walk to the east, as long as the snow isn't overwhelming. He saved my butt a few times with his snowblower, so if I'm feeling good, and I'm out before him (rarely) I just keep going. Neighbor to the west always gets out there before me, and he has a monster snowblower, so I have never done his.

Sometimes I find my walk done, and I'm not sure which neighbor helped out, but they both have my thanks!
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:44 am

Bad Gradger wrote:Any suggestions for dealing with the neighbor who won't help with the foreclosure/estate next door to him, when I already do 180 feet of sidewalk?
Wha? You want them to bail out Bank of America?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines