MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Klimate Kooks Korrekt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Klimate Kooks Korrekt

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 am

a severe hurricane which in August of that year brushed Virginia and then passed over southeastern New England.

That was then. This is now:

The system still reaches from the Appalachians to the Great Lakes and beyond to Canada, and it is triggering winter storm warnings from the mountains of Pennsylvania to those of Eastern Tennessee and North Carolina...

15 states listed as well as Canada.

it was the largest Atlantic hurricane on record, with winds spanning 1,100 miles

In the United States, Hurricane Sandy affected at least 24 states, from Florida to New England, with tropical storm force winds stretching far inland and mountain snows in West Virginia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

Anyhow, Carry on Ned.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:00 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Hmmm. A quick look at wiki confirms that devistating hurricanes hit the eastern seaboard in the 17th, 18th, 19th and early 20th century. Certainly there was less infrastructure to wreck back then...

just one example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Colo ... ne_of_1635

Very, very mysterious....

Sweet titty-fucking christ, but you're a simpleton. Three points:
1. Yes, dumbass, hurricanes will happen regardless of human existence.
2. (Lord help me, but) taking your thesis at its face, the hurricane you listed is significantly smaller than Sandy.
3. More importantly, that hurricane hit in August, dead in the middle of hurricane season, and not during the last days of October.

On a probably related noted, more Republicans believe in demonic possesion than believe in climate change.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 am

nutria wrote:2. (Lord help me, but) taking your thesis at its face, the hurricane you listed is significantly smaller than Sandy.

Public school reading comp champ, that nutty-ria.... What part of this don't you understand?:

"The Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635 was a severe hurricane which in August of that year brushed Virginia and then passed over southeastern New England. Though accounts of the storm are very limited, it was most likely the most intense hurricane to hit New England since European colonization."

As I pointed out in my original post, there was little if any infrastructe to wreck, so nobody cared if some beaver and deer were displaced.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:48 am

Ned Flanders wrote: brushed Virginia and then passed over southeastern New England.

Guess you don't want to comment on my post.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 am

Maybe something in the Bloomberg article will help you understand, mizz nedly darling.

An unscientific survey of the social networking literature on Sandy reveals an illuminating tweet (you read that correctly) from Jonathan Foley, director of the Institute on the Environment at the University of Minnesota. On Oct. 29, Foley thumbed thusly: “Would this kind of storm happen without climate change? Yes. Fueled by many factors. Is storm stronger because of climate change? Yes.” Eric Pooley, senior vice president of the Environmental Defense Fund (and former deputy editor of Bloomberg Businessweek ), offers a baseball analogy: “We can’t say that steroids caused any one home run by Barry Bonds, but steroids sure helped him hit more and hit them farther. Now we have weather on steroids.”

more... (I love doing that. Thanks for showing me how, ned.)
In an Oct. 30 blog post, Mark Fischetti of Scientific American took a spin through Ph.D.-land and found more and more credentialed experts willing to shrug off the climate caveats. The broadening consensus: “Climate change amps up other basic factors that contribute to big storms. For example, the oceans have warmed, providing more energy for storms. And the Earth’s atmosphere has warmed, so it retains more moisture, which is drawn into storms and is then dumped on us.” Even those of us who are science-phobic can get the gist of that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:53 am

I think the reason that some people are saying that Sandy was climate change related has more to do with specifics of the storm than that it was a "really big storm."

I still think that pointing to individual weather events and blaming them on climate change is poor science, but if I've got climatologists telling me about ocean temperatures rising and ice melting at a record pace in the arctic, I'm probably not going to ask Rush Limbaugh for a second opinion.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 am

pjbogart wrote:I still think that pointing to individual weather events and blaming them on climate change is poor science

Agreed, but many have been pointing to the number of such storms and their severity. It's not just one isolated storm, but the fact that it adds to the list.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
nutria wrote:2. (Lord help me, but) taking your thesis at its face, the hurricane you listed is significantly smaller than Sandy.

Public school reading comp champ, that nutty-ria.... What part of this don't you understand?:

"The Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635 was a severe hurricane which in August of that year brushed Virginia and then passed over southeastern New England. Though accounts of the storm are very limited, it was most likely the most intense hurricane to hit New England since European colonization."

As I pointed out in my original post, there was little if any infrastructe to wreck, so nobody cared if some beaver and deer were displaced.

I'm not sure if you are more cowardly, or stupid. Right here, dipshit:
nutria wrote:1. Yes, dumbass, hurricanes will happen regardless of human existence.
2. (Lord help me, but) taking your thesis at its face, the hurricane you listed is significantly smaller than Sandy.
3. More importantly, that hurricane hit in August, dead in the middle of hurricane season, and not during the last days of October.

I'll walk you through it, nice and slow. Hurricanes will happen, regardless of human existence, interaction, etc. Given the relatively long time scale of current weather patterns existing, particularly with respect to the length of human existence, it is almost a certainty that the strongest hurricane in the earth's history happened well before those of us besides Ned descended from the trees. But that is not the question, you fucking idiot. The question is whether human behavior have affected average intensity and frequency of these storms. And the answer to that question is an unequivocal yes, you believing-in-demonic-possession imbecile.

Cue Ned's "people are refuting my obvious bullshit, therefore I must be right" post in 3..2..
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 am

nutria wrote: The question is whether human behavior have affected average intensity and frequency of these storms. And the answer to that question is an unequivocal yes

Links please, sugar.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:07 am

Okay, so let's recap. Hurricanes happened several times in the last several centuries. And they damaged things.

Therefore Climate Change is a hoax and Barack Obama's not doing enough, he's doing it too fast, it's all wrong, it's too slow, and anyway he's only doing it to make himself look good.

Oh, and Ned; the link is in my last post, darling.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 am

On Bill Maher on October 5th they had environmentalist Bill McKibben on.

I think Mark Foley the former R FL Congressman said something to the effect that, this summer it was 80 degrees in FL and 106 in Chicago.
To which BIll McKibben responded something like, that is one data point I have over 10,000 data points that show climate change.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
nutria wrote: The question is whether human behavior have affected average intensity and frequency of these storms. And the answer to that question is an unequivocal yes

Links please, sugar.

Why bother? You've made up your mind on this, facts be damned. Case in point:

rabble wrote:Oh, and Ned; the link is in my last post, darling.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 am

HawkHead wrote:On Bill Maher on October 5th they had environmentalist Bill McKibben on.

I think Mark Foley the former R FL Congressman said something to the effect that, this summer it was 80 degrees in FL and 106 in Chicago.
To which BIll McKibben responded something like, that is one data point I have over 10,000 data points that show climate change.

That exchange was awesome; I think Foley actually realized he had been pwned before McKibben even finished his rebuttal.

McKibben to Mark Foley: “…Every month for the last 330 it’s been warmer than it was in the last century. Saying on this day in Florida it was cooler than that day in Chicago doesn’t even begin to be an argument.”
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 am

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:34 am

nutria wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

Links please, sugar.

Why bother? You've made up your mind on this, facts be damned. Case in point:

rabble wrote:Oh, and Ned; the link is in my last post, darling.

Ding ding ding.

Next.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines