MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Klimate Kooks Korrekt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Klimate Kooks Korrekt

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Kurt, have you given up modern conveniences? If not, you're part of the problem.

You lose your argument and you come up with this? Very, very, weak.

How about you Hank? Give up the exotic travel? Over eating? Heat? Light? Electronic devices? Your car?

You're killing our mother!

I have a good feeling that my carbon footprint is of a much smaller size than yours. Didn't you used to (probably falsely) brag about driving around in your Hummer?

But enough of your tangents. Let's talk about your knowledge of science and climate change.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:But enough of your tangents. Let's talk about your knowledge of science and climate change.

Ned's on his way home from his GOP flunky job, so this is where he abandons the thread.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:They've been saying the same thing since the the 70s, except then the alarmism was based on "global cooling". It's not happening.

Who exactly is 'they'? Can you point to actual scientists who argued for both global warming and global cooling?

No. You have a Newsweek article saying some people think its possible there might be a potential trend towards cooling. There was no theory, and very little data.

And now you have a consensus document supported by the majority of climate scientists whose conclusions are based on a detailed climate model backed by decades of peer-reviewed results.

Most intelligent people can understand the difference.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Kurt, have you given up modern conveniences? If not, you're part of the problem.

Ned, take a moment and think about this: Do you really want to stake out the rhetorical position that acknowledging the reality of global warming must require returning to a pre-industrial lifestyle?

That would be a really, really bad position from which to argue.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 am

kurt_w wrote:

Ned, take a moment and think about this: Do you really want to stake out the rhetorical position that acknowledging the reality of global warming must require returning to a pre-industrial lifestyle?

That would be a really, really bad position from which to argue.

Well, it's the only logical current solution to crisis-mongers such as yourself. If it indeed is a "crisis", the only solution is to detach ourselves from fossil fuels. Solar and and wind power won't carry the weight of coal and oil. So, get to that rustic cabin with the latrine.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:45 am

Ned Flanders wrote:If it indeed is a "crisis", the only solution is to detach ourselves from fossil fuels.

Perhaps a simple diagram will help you understand the falsehood of your premise.

(1)_____________________________________________________(2)

(1) = No fossil fuel use
(2) = The current amount of fossil fuel use

I know you're generally unfamiliar with the concept of "middle ground", but there it is. Can't you see it, Ned? It's all the space between the (1) and the (2). You know, where there's an infinite number of possibilities besides the two you present as the only choices.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:58 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:If it indeed is a "crisis", the only solution is to detach ourselves from fossil fuels.

Perhaps a simple diagram will help you understand the falsehood of your premise.

(1)_____________________________________________________(2)

(1) = No fossil fuel use
(2) = The current amount of fossil fuel use

I know you're generally unfamiliar with the concept of "middle ground", but there it is. Can't you see it, Ned? It's all the space between the (1) and the (2). You know, where there's an infinite number of possibilities besides the two you present as the only choices.

Is there really time for "middle ground" in a crisis of this magnitude? If your kid was hanging out of a 30th floor window by a shoestring, would you look for "middle ground"?

Either it's a crisis or it's not.

The least these hypocrites like Kurt and Hank can do is stop jetting around the world on vacations, give up creature comforts like air conditioning, cars
and non-essential items like computers, TVs, i-phones and lights.
Last edited by Ned Flanders on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:59 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Well, it's the only logical current solution [...]

Bullshit. You're not an engineer, you're not a scientist. You literally know nothing about what you're talking about in this thread.

It's quite possible to maintain a modern, high-technology civilization while minimizing its impact on the global climate. We've known this for some time now. However, the longer we procrastinate, the harder it gets to make the necessary transitions.

Flanders's comments here are worse than idiotic. He's trying to make the following argument:

(a) Responding to global warming would require giving up modern civilization;

therefore

(b) Global warming isn't happening.

Well, (a) is false, (b) is false, and the relationship between (a) and (b) is nonexistent. Aside from that, it's a brilliant argument.

:roll:
Last edited by kurt_w on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 am

Your link, like your argument, leads nowhere. How apropos.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Is there really time for "middle ground" in a crisis of this magnitude? If your kid was hanging out of a 30th floor window by a shoestring, would you look for "middle ground"?

Either it's a crisis or it's not.

At times, I sometimes wonder if Ned actually believes his own arguments.

This time I don't even wonder. He knows the difference between slow, steady deterioration and an immediate threat.

Whoever's running the sock puppet today isn't putting much time into it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 am

We're told that this is a "crisis". In reality it's a rhetorical battering ram used by the left to foward a political agenda. The LSM, public schools and crooked "scientists" do the heavy lifting.

Thankfully, many understand this and haven't taken the bait.

In the meantime, phonies like Al Gore and the Solyndra crooks continue to rake in cash, buy huge homes, private jets and boats while peddling this nonsense to the gullible while manipulating the political system for the cash to afford their lavish lifestyles.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:16 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Either it's a crisis or it's not.

Right. There are only ever two options. I forgot who I was talking to.

Fine, Ned. It's not a crisis.
I've stated on this forum many times that I dislike alarmist interpretations of science. It's dumb to tell people that the human race is doomed, that civilization as we know it is about to come crashing down, or that Mother Earth is so terribly wounded she'll never heal and now she hates us. All those statements are wrong.

But the Earth is warming up. This will cause more and more varied extreme weather occurrences. This will have recognizable and demonstrable effects on wildlife. This will affect economies, resource availability, populations, and just about anything else you can think of that impacts human existence. So let's agree that while the situation is obviously not as urgent as the most hysterical portray it, it's certainly more urgent than not at all, and then, oh, I dunno... maybe start preparing for it? And given that most of the things that would help prepare us have long-term environmental and economic benefits, I'm confused why anyone would oppose them in the first place, unless they only think about themselves and right now.

Of course, I've told you all this before.
I'm just bored this morning.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:20 am

Ned Flanders wrote:battering ram! the left! political agenda! LSM! public schools! crooked "scientists"! taken the bait! phonies! Al Gore! Solyndra crooks! rake in cash! buy huge homes! private jets! boats! gullible! manipulating the political system! lavish lifestyles!

Guess this thread was too much for ol' Ned.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:26 am

Well, at least those private jets won't get taxed too much.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:26 am

kurt_w wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:battering ram! the left! political agenda! LSM! public schools! crooked "scientists"! taken the bait! phonies! Al Gore! Solyndra crooks! rake in cash! buy huge homes! private jets! boats! gullible! manipulating the political system! lavish lifestyles!

Guess this thread was too much for ol' Ned.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines