MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

College Kids Attacking Cab Drivers

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

College Kids Attacking Cab Drivers

Postby sskrall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:25 pm

I would just like to throw this one out there... My father, a cab driver in this city for several years, a city where I used to be proud to call home and where I was born and raised, has been assaulted, twice. These two assaults have happened in the past two years, one just last week. Both of the attackers were college aged kids after drinking and partying, one male, one female in seperate incidents. My father while working was punched in the face, over a 3 dollar and 8 or 9 dollar ride. This is so disgusting to me, I can't even explain it. Both times, the culprits were taken to jail and charged for battery as well as other things. Both times these young criminals made remarks about how much money they had and how they didn't need to pay my father for the cab ride and turned to violence for no reason but because of drunken immaturity and other mental problems.

Nothing in my criminal justice background makes this easier for me to understand. They did not attack him to rob him of the money, that was not the point of the crime. The point was to attack someone for power, and to hurt someone, which is sickening. What is even more sickening is that these are college kids, not hardened criminals we like to point at and say "it was people like them". This is our classmates, our drinking buddies, and sadly a problem that seems to be happening more often.
sskrall

Re: College Kids Attacking Cab Drivers

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Do you suppose you might want to cite some incident reports for context? Is this one, for example? : Disturbance.
Just what is it you're talking about?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sskrall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Yes that is the incident report from the most recent of the two on my father. I'm brand new to posting here so I really appreciate that help! Thank you.
sskrall

Postby sskrall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Also, here is the link from Madison.com http://host.madison.com/article_900228b ... 03286.html
sskrall

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Well, I don't see any evidence the person in question is a college kid.¹ Perhaps she was brought in via an RFP from the Koch-funded lobbyists who are settling into Madison.

But, given that her name is now on an incident report, she's certainly no longer a first-draft prospect.

1. Not that she couldn't get in to the Univer$ity of Phoenix, I'm sure.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sskrall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:51 pm

I shouldn't have generalized and said "college kids". However, my point was clear in that the people who have done these things to my dad aren't the people I've studied for years in textbooks discussing criminals and what makes a criminal a criminal. This is a new breed, a younger, richer, and obviously poor choice making group of people that run together within a college town's drinking scene. Hope that clarifies my post further.
sskrall

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Sorry this happened to your father.

I think with that much money being waved around, there's drugs in the picture. I know that is little comfort, but all people (and all fares) aren't that awful.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm

I heard a story from Philip Glass, one afternoon – long ago, at a gathering in Burlington, Vermont: He was working as a cabbie in NYC after a successful (but not lucrative) European run of Einstein on the Beach. One of his riders noticed his cabbie license and mentioned, "You know, there's a very famous composer with the same name as yours."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mlmaguire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm sorry that happened to your father. That sucks.

There are some stupid, idiot college-age kids for sure. I work at the UW, and I can tell you there are a lot of kids that would never, ever do such horrible things. It's too bad that a couple of stupid, stupid people can make you so worried. Let's find out where this last stupid person lives and toilet paper their living residence! Or stick a banana in their tailpipe! :wink:

But seriously, I hope your dad is okay. Let him know that many people wish the best for him!
mlmaguire

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:05 am

I completely understand how you feel and if that was my dad, I'd be out following his cab around for the next 2 weeks, waiting for trouble. But, as others said, it's a rare thing overall. It's also hardly a new thing with college-age kids. My former cab driver friend would all but refuse to work on football Saturdays because of the drunk idiots down there.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 pm

My dad woulda slammed on the brakes and mashed that bitch's face into the partition.

And don't even get me started on all the things he can lift with just one pinkie.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:Sorry this happened to your father.

I think with that much money being waved around, there's drugs in the picture. I know that is little comfort, but all people (and all fares) aren't that awful.

This does not sound like a typical college student. More likely the drug money with a little sex work on the side scenario.

Sorry about your dad. I found I have become very protective of my dad as he has aged and now I am bigger than him.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 am

I've been driving cab in Madison for seven years now and haven't had anything specifically like this happen to me (thank goodness). But I have had people freak out on me about me attempting to collect money for a ride and have even been threatened a few times. Indeed, in almost all of these cases my fares were young, drunk college kids. Now, I work at night and I am willing to trade a few stupid folks for the majority of my fares, who are happy to be in a cab and not having to care about how they get home.

The thing that bugs me the most is the rising sense of entitlement. At bar time on a Saturday night it can be quite difficult to get a cab. Our phone lines are packed, and when the bars let out, there are literally hundreds of folks on State Street who want our service. When I stop to pick someone up, my cab gets swarmed. I expect this and am used to it--that's why I lock my doors and crack my window a bit so I can talk to whoever is standing there to see if they are who I'm there to pick up or not. People rush over to my cab and try to open the doors. Many of them try again and again, as if by doing that, they will suddenly magically unlock. I try to get their attention but in many cases, these people bang on the cab and shout at me to open the fucking doors. It's as if they think: I see a cab stopping near me, which means that it MUST be the one I called for and it couldn't possibly be another situation. If I can get their attention, I talk to people waiting there and explain my deal: I'm here to pick up someone who called us--we are going to call them and see if they are coming. If they don't answer or don't want the cab or don't come out in an allotted time, I will take you instead.

Lots of people are reasonable about this and say, ok thanks. And they might wait or they might try their luck somewhere else. But many people start shouting at me and insulting me and tell me how stupid I am for not taking them, how I must not want to make any money etc. Some people also continue to try to open the doors or attempt to reach in and unlock my door (!) or jump on my cab or thump my cab etc.

When I started this job, this kind of crap was already happening, but I see it on the rise. Why do people think this is acceptable? Yes I know they are drunk and want a cab NOW and may have to wait more than 10 minutes and are frustrated by the fact that other cabs did not pick them up etc etc etc. Have they never experienced bar time? Do they not understand supply and demand? Its been rare that I've ever felt like I was going to be harmed by these situations--I'm safe inside my vehicle and I know the cops are nearby on State Street if things did get out of hand.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines