MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
kayaks
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

NY Times online- the party's over

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

NY Times online- the party's over

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:36 pm

How are you dealing with the fact that the N.Y. Times is now going to cost $15 every four weeks to read online?

Its a very fair price, I just can't afford another info/entertaiment fee every month. Maybe I will share an online account with 2 other people.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NY Times online- the party's over

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:49 pm

I will read it just as often as I do now, which is never, apart from links posted elsewhere and by friends (which will still be viewable somewhat).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:59 pm

where do you find news & analysis ? NY Times has a lot of reporters in the field, does long pieces.

Washington Post is good for broad range of opinion.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:10 pm

If we're talking national and international, CNN.com daily for a "what's up."

NYT is a great paper, don't get me wrong ... I'll leaf through a copy when I see it someplace (like a coffee shop), or I'll read links friends post to facebook and what not. But it's not my primary source. Sometimes I take a gander at a Wall Street Journal. They have an interesting take on international issues, obviously focusing on the financial aspects.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Were it not for the fact that they have used some seriously intrusive and annoying ads (mostly, several years back) in the past on their site, I would seriously consider getting a subscription to the newspaper+online (the latter is free with the former as I understand it). They should have done this a long time ago, but instead lost me as a customer with other tactics.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:15 pm

I don't quite get the reasoning behind giving people who already have a print subscription an additional free online subscription. They're the ones who need it LEAST.

I will read at the library, if the library provides a subscription on their computers. I do read the NYT a few times a week, but I won't pay $15 a month for the privilege.

Incidentally, I think this initiative will fail. I read somewhere that the number of people who will pay for an internet service after getting it for free is around one percent. I realize the world of print journalism is under a lot of financial pressure right now, but the NYT's strategy doesn't sound like a promising solution.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:30 pm

I had hoped they would make the pay option explicitly ad-free. That would clearly be a value-added feature.ⁱ (Or rather, a definitive contrast to the usual diminished-value online offering.) Even with ad-blockers, the experience isn't ideal, and there seems to be a lot of browser overhead, especially if one's OS and CPU isn't desperately up-to-date.

I think the point of offering the online edition to print subscribers is to gradually wean them from the print, in favor of the far less costly (to produce) online version.

ⁱ Which would imply no more of that ridiculous default multi-page view of articles, which exists only as a mechanism to wedge in more ads.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:53 pm

snoqueen wrote:I don't quite get the reasoning behind giving people who already have a print subscription an additional free online subscription. They're the ones who need it LEAST.

They are providing an incentive to buy a paper subscription, and its a nice perk that costs NYT nothing. It's an obvious choice for NYT.

The paper subscribers are paying enough already.

I think 50 cents per day to read the paper online is pretty reasonable. People won't pay mainly because they are in the habit of getting it free.

Newspapers that do real news reporting are worth supporting as a social cause.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:00 pm

fennel wrote: Even with ad-blockers, the experience isn't ideal, and there seems to be a lot of browser overhead, especially if one's OS and CPU isn't desperately up-to-date.

I'm guessing paid subscribers won't have to deal with that baloney.

Speaking of pet peeves, forcing people to watch 10 minutes of commercials at the movie theater, where they've already forked over > $10, is absurd.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Carol » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 pm

6. What if I don't want to subscribe — can I still read NYTimes.com for free?

Visitors can enjoy 20 free articles (including blog posts, slide shows, video and other multimedia features) each calendar month on NYTimes.com, as well as unrestricted access to browse the home page, section fronts, blog fronts and classifieds.

Your free, limited access resets every month: at the beginning of each calendar month, you'll once again be able to view 20 free articles for that month.

12. Can I still access NYTimes.com articles through Facebook, Twitter, search engines or my blog? Back to top .Yes. We encourage links from Facebook, Twitter, search engines, blogs and social media. When you visit NYTimes.com through a link from one of these channels, that article (or video, slide show, etc.) will count toward your monthly limit of 20 free articles, but you will still be able to view it even if you've already read your 20 free articles.

When you visit NYTimes.com by clicking links in search results, you'll have a daily limit of 5 free articles. This limit applies to the majority of search engines.

http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/acc ... hases.html
Carol
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:02 am

DMJY wrote: I think the point of offering the online edition to print subscribers is to gradually wean them from the print.

This seems to be a popular perception, but I don't think it makes sense. If the Times wasn't making money selling newspapers, they would stop. The NYT is able to get $2 for a daily paper, $6 for a Sunday paper. . There are a handful of papers with national brands (WSJ, NY Times, Chicago Tribune, USA Today) that are doing fine in paper.

The 20 free articles a month is a joke for a news junkie. I read that many articles before I've touched myself every morning.

My solution is the life of crime, it pays well. I will share a subscription with a couple people. The NYT will only detect or care about excessive traffic over a single account, in my guestimate.

On a vaguely related note, the Newspaper Guild is calling for a boycott of the Huffington Post. They are pissed that Madame H sold a business for $327M that has relied on volunteer bloggers for much of their content.
I understand both sides of the argument. HP sort-of sold itself as a community effort. On the other hand, lots of news outlets have unpaid guest commentators, and the HP also has plenty of paid staff. I say Arriana deserves her pot of gold.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 am

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:41 am

I'm one of the lucky 200,000 who received the Lincoln-sponsored offer of a free digital Times subscription for the rest of the year. So I'm good for now. After that, dunno.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 am

Same here. And I'll be using it a lot before I lose it.

I would like to know what are the arrangements for public libraries.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Ok, I'll contribute the luddite's perspective. I get almost none of my news online. I know that makes me an outlier. But, for whatever reason, I cannot sustain attention on a flickering screen for any length of time. So, beyond a cursory perusal of headlines and the occasional couple of paragraphs, I avoid online news.

Where do I get my news? Mostly NPR - Once/twice a week I actually (gasp!) purchase newspapers, including the NYT - the occasional newsmagazine (recently partial to The Economist).

Part if it, I think, is that I like the tactile experience of reading a real object. My eyes are also sensitive to screens. And I am, I admit, somewhat hostile to communications technology by temperament.

So...I don't care what the NYT charges for online access. I'll just buy the regular paper (as long as they keep printing it).
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines