MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Life in Gunsconsin

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Life in Gunsconsin

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 am

You don't know me, so why do you think you can read some sort of agenda into my posts? If I wanted to make it about concealed carry or something, I would have.

People who do stupid things with guns and are further emboldened to do so by the recent trend among some media to point out that some problems can and should be solved with gun violence should be held up not as examples of what to do, but what not to do.

I know plenty of people with guns who would never reach for them outside of hunting season, and definitely not to deal with loud teenagers in the neighborhood.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Life in Gunsconsin

Postby gargantua » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:43 am

I agree that our culture glorifies guns and violence as a means of problem-solving. I'm in my 50's, and my earliest memories of TV are of shows like Gunsmoke, and the Rifleman, and so on. Most of the time, the issues of the day were settled by gunfire.

Unless you were one of the fortunate few to avoid TV in your formative years, you were pretty much steeped in gun violence. It wasn't done on purpose, but I have a hard time believing that it hasn't warped our culture.

I don't think most of the posters on this thread are advocating banning guns if for no other reason that almost everyone knows that it will never happen.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines