MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Blessing in Disguise?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Blessing in Disguise?

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:18 pm

bdog wrote:I don't really give a shit.

Yeah. We know. It's all about you.

And I, personally, don't give a shit whether you like it or not.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Fisty, you'd fit in great back in the day when there weren't diversity days for people to take off.

"Sure Muslim, you can have a day off for your religious holiday as long as it's Christmas"
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:21 pm

And you'd fit in great back in the day when people could have random word spasms that have nothing to do with the conversation and still be taken seriously.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:22 pm

rabble wrote:
bdog wrote:I don't really give a shit.

Yeah. We know. It's all about you.

And I, personally, don't give a shit whether you like it or not.

Really? And here I thought you were hanging on my every word. Darn.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:22 pm

bdog wrote:You're full of it Kurt. You'd scream bloody murder if it was taken away. I can't take advantage of it.

This is the kind of bullshit childless workers have to deal with it.

As if it's MY fault you chose to have children and have a shitty life.

You might want to worry a bit more about your reading comprehension problems, and a bit less about whether somebody somewhere is getting a few weeks of unpaid leave from their job to care for their dying parent, hospitalized spouse, or newborn baby.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:23 pm

fisticuffs wrote:And you'd fit in great back in the day when people could have random word spasms that have nothing to do with the conversation and still be taken seriously.

Typical lib reaction. you forgot to mention Blaska!

:lol:
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:25 pm

kurt_w wrote:You might want to worry a bit more about your reading comprehension problems, and a bit less about whether somebody somewhere is getting a few weeks of unpaid leave from their job to care for their dying parent, hospitalized spouse, or newborn baby.

Right back at ya. Where did I ever mention dying parent or hospitalized spouse? I'll wait for you to find it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:26 pm

bdog wrote:Fisty, you'd fit in great back in the day when there weren't diversity days for people to take off.

"Sure Muslim, you can have a day off for your religious holiday as long as it's Christmas"

What, you didn't know lots of people get floating holidays to use when it's most appropriate for them? They don't do that in the private sector you live in?

I'd kind of like Christmas to fall into that category. You get two floating holidays you can use at Christmas Eve and Christmas unless you want to use them some other time.

But I don't think Bill O'Reilly would allow it. He'd call it a war or something.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:27 pm

rabble wrote:
bdog wrote:Fisty, you'd fit in great back in the day when there weren't diversity days for people to take off.

What, you didn't know lots of people get floating holidays to use when it's most appropriate for them? They don't do that in the private sector you live in?

I'd kind of like Christmas to fall into that category. You get two floating holidays you can use at Christmas Eve and Christmas unless you want to use them some other time.

But I don't think Bill O'Reilly would allow it. He'd call it a war or something.

They do now, wasn't always that way.

So why not do that for 12 weeks unpaid leave?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:29 pm

bdog wrote:They do now, wasn't always that way.

Ah. So you're pissed off at the way things used to be?

Because you have to have a hardship to get that leave. Show 'em a hardship, you get the leave. It's not really that complicated.
Last edited by rabble on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:31 pm

rabble wrote:
bdog wrote:They do now, wasn't always that way.

Ah. So you're pissed off at the way things used to be?

It wasn't fair to non-Christians, or to those who did not celebrate Christmas.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:47 pm

All I said was single (and by that I meant childless) people don't even have the option of taking similar time off to do as they see fit.

Single = childless?

You are totally out of touch with reality.

Regarding the Walton solution vs the iceberg solution, I'll take the iceberg thank you.

I do agree with you, I think, regarding using the social safety net as a backup when personal resources (savings, that is) fail. However, you ought to realize this is already the policy. People pretty much have to spend their way down to a point where they need certain support services before they become eligible. I don't have a problem with this. However, if you think it's the way to save the system you have to understand it already is part of the system.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:52 pm

snoqueen wrote:
All I said was single (and by that I meant childless) people don't even have the option of taking similar time off to do as they see fit.

Single = childless?

You are totally out of touch with reality.

Regarding the Walton solution vs the iceberg solution, I'll take the iceberg thank you.

I do agree with you, I think, regarding using the social safety net as a backup when personal resources (savings, that is) fail. However, you ought to realize this is already the policy. People pretty much have to spend their way down to a point where they need certain support services before they become eligible. I don't have a problem with this. However, if you think it's the way to save the system you have to understand it already is part of the system.

Single = bad word choice on my part. I realize there are plenty of single parents out there.

You would rather be set adrift on an iceberg than go live with your children (if you had any)??? You and my father have much in common.

I understand spenddown. All I'm saying is why do multi-generational, middle class families not live together anymore?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:07 pm

For the same reason your father would rather go sit on an iceberg than live with you, I imagine.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:15 pm

So you can smoke and drink at your leisure?

Fair enough.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines