MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Out of Iraq

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Out of Iraq

Postby Huckleby » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:09 pm

No, it was just my window of information.

Even given the troubling reports, I figured the effort would most likely succeed in the end by adjusting to more door-to-door work. Then again, maybe not. Everything has gone much better than I predicted, although I believe I was correct on shift in strategy. I did misjudge the landscape, which I readily admitted.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Huckleby wrote:No, it was just my window of information.

It was a window you kept open for many pages on the discussion you started, entitled: Gonna get 540,000 recall signatures?

But back to the topic:

A wave of 16 bombings ripped across Baghdad Thursday, killing at least 69 people in the worst violence in Iraq for months. The apparently coordinated attacks struck days after the last American forces left the country and in the midst of a major government crisis between Shiite and Sunni politicians that has sent sectarian tensions soaring.

The bombings may be linked more to the U.S. withdrawal than the political crisis, but all together, the developments heighten fears of a new round of Shiite-Sunni sectarian bloodshed like the one a few years back that pushed Iraq to the brink of civil war.

Full AP article.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote:My fears were not a prediction.

Was it just pure paranoia instead? You must be getting dizzy from all that spinning.

Wow, you're kind of a dick today. I've read the back and forth and I think you're the paranoid one.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote:My fears were not a prediction.

Was it just pure paranoia instead? You must be getting dizzy from all that spinning.

Wow, you're kind of a dick today. I've read the back and forth and I think you're the paranoid one.

The dick was the guy who started it, claiming I was gleeful that Iraq is falling apart after our withdrawal. Maybe you missed that part.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: claiming I was gleeful that Iraq is falling apart after our withdrawal. Maybe you missed that part.

When I read that, I took it to mean others were gleeful, not you.

Unfortunately, I think he is right about that part. The others being gleeful part.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I think Henry Vilas & I need to bury the hatchet.
My preferred location would be in HV's forehead, but that is not the holiday spirit.

HV, lets forget about past disagreements, and move on to new ones. Feliz Navidad.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:11 am

Iraqi crude oil production jumped to the highest level in at least 20 years, or more than 3 million barrels a day.

I am not aware of any nation in history with a 9% growth rate splitting into three parts, are you?
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote: Kurds are sastisfied with autonomy.

You have never heard of the quest for Kurdistan? It's not only a few extremist who have that desire of an independent state. And the Kurds in neighboring countries share that desire.

With the Sunnis and Shiites fighting it out in Iraq, the Kurds have also begun their military campaign. An independent Kurdistan still might become a reality.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Let's roll the hands of time back to October 2001. IF we never invaded Iraq and left Saddam Hussein in power, most likely, he'd still be there. We'd have saved $17 billion from our military costs, 400K Iraqi lives, and 4500 American lives (along with 22k wounded Americans). In addition, we wouldn't be worrying about Iran as Saddam was their natural and mortal enemy. Instead, we have a clusterfuck civil war in Iraq and Iran is trying go nuclear....all over GW and Dick Cheney wanting revenge over the attempted assassination of Bush Sr. in Kuwait by Saddam's peeps.....what a price we continue to pay.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:07 pm

david cohen wrote:Let's roll the hands of time back to October 2001. IF we never invaded Iraq and left Saddam Hussein in power, most likely, he'd still be there.
There were many strategic and humanitarian problems with leaving Hussein in power. It is not such a clear choice. You can argue that the U.S. invasion failed to bring democracy to Iraq, it was a mistake.

I actually am not so upset about developments in Iraq. Maliki is a disaster, barely better than Assad in Syria.

I am very happy that the Kurds have taken control of the territory around Kirkuk. That seems like the least unjust outcome there.

The Sunni insurgency in Iraq is not just ISIS. Former Iraqi generals are also leading troops. The former vice president of Iraq (who fled to Kurdistan) is leading a militia.

The Sunni insurgency is not powerful enough to takeover Iraq or overrun Baghdad. Iran has sent a militia to Tikrit to retake that city. I expect the insurgency is spread too thin to hold much more territory.

I of course am troubled by the extreme Sunni Islamicists gaining power. But they already controlled a third of Syria. If they have foothold in Northern third of Iraq, it really doesn't present any incremental threat to U.S. interests. Turkey, Iran, and the Kurds plus Shitte militias will keep themin their box.

Maliki has been such an unmitigated disaster. I can't see the U.S. bailing him out, we're not bailing out Assad. I hope the Sunni people can find a way to deal with their own extremists.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Our leader would rather save face in a war that he repeatedly declared over than mount requested air attacks on ISIL training camps. Air attacks would be effective without committing ground troupes.

The U.S. has yet to respond to a request from Iraq made last month to mount air attacks against militant training camps in western Iraq, according to two American officials who asked not to be identified discussing internal deliberations. One of the officials said President Barack Obama is reluctant to revisit a war that he opposed and has repeatedly declared over.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm confuseed over Sandi's position. Did she support the Bush invasion of sovereign Iraq and accept the consequences... or not? I hope she can soon clarify with a reponse. Or maybe not.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: I hope she can soon clarify with a reponse. Or maybe not.

Henry Vilas complaining about someone else not clarifying with a response?! seriously? LOL...way too funny!

Alanis Morisette would probably call that "irony" but it smells more like "hypocrisy" to me. Amazing part is how unaware of his own behavior he seems to be...totally clueless and without shame.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Sandi wrote:Our leader would rather save face in a war that he repeatedly declared over than mount requested air attacks on ISIL training camps. Air attacks would be effective without committing ground troupes.

Why would we take sides is this particular war?

Iran and Assad are fighting ISIS. Iran has already sent a militia and is fighting in Tikrit. Are we going to be their Air Force?
http://online.wsj.com/articles/iran-dep ... 1402592470

Maliki will be able to rally enough support to protect Baghdad. Unless a government comes to power in Iraq with democratic impulses, what is our interest there? I for one have mixed feeling about Maliki's loss of control in northern half of Iraq, there is just as much positive there as negative.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I'm confuseed over Sandi's position. Did she support the Bush invasion of sovereign Iraq and accept the consequences... or not? I hope she can soon clarify with a reponse. Or maybe not.

WTF are you yammering about? Please try to make sense.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines