MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

WTF is up with Penn State students

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

WTF is up with Penn State students

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:15 pm

I get that JoePa is some sort of demigod on the Penn State campus. But fer crying out loud, he got canned for not doing enough to stop one of his assistants from molesting kids. Right there in the freaking stadium!!!

And for that they go on a riot???
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WTF is up with Penn State students

Postby pattymcnutt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:55 pm

My thoughts exactly. They should be disppointed and angry with Joe Paterno for standing by and doing nothing, not angry with the board of trustees for holding him accountable. Especially because by NOT calling the police, he pretty much made sure that more kids would be abused by this guy.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:26 pm

In defense of the Penn State student body (~97,000 people) it was "several hundred" people involved in the rioting and reportedly many of them were not students.

But those rioting need to examine their priorities.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:14 pm

I agree that rioting is fucking stupid in this case. However, I can understand their anger. Paterno reported what he was told happened in an incident (aka hearsay). His superiors swept it under the carpet. Paterno certainly could have gone public, and perhaps he should have gone public, but we don't know what he was told by his superiors. They could have kept him in the dark just as they did that whole dmn university:( He was fired because the Board of Regents decided to clean house of everyone involved, but that doesn't mean he is guilty of molesting kids....in fact, we have relatively few facts as of yet with respect to Paterno. He's done much much good in Happy Valley over the past 60 yrs, so it's hard to believe he intentionally harbored and allowed this scum to continue his teen dipping. When all the facts come out, we can pass judgment. Until then, not so much.
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:02 am

the rape of a child is not a matter of institutional policy, or an issue for management. It is a horrific crime.

McCreery should have rescued the kid and called 911.
Joe Pa should not have called his bosses, he should have called the police.

McCreery says he saw a rape, and he told paterno. if paterno didn't absorb the reality, its because the old man freaked out and blocked out.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:16 am

Not having to deal with a media circus is an entirely acceptable reason to let him go. So was the stupid press release where he told them not to worry, and that he was going to retire just as he planned to, at the end of the year.

Woody Hayes had an entire career wiped out by one heat of the moment decision. The reality is that his punch did about as much damage as Don Zimmer in a baseball brawl, but the fact is, he took a swing at an opposing player, and he was done. The Penn State had years to think about doing the right thing, and declined to do so.

If it had been JoePa's grandson in the shower, Sandusky would have had the crap beat out of him, been fired, and arrested in 30 minutes.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:33 am

I feel like burning the Penn State campus too after reading that story. But not because some senile old man didn't speak up. Because it deserves to be burned for institutional cover-up of the rape of a 10 year-old boy.

"The assistant looked into the shower and "saw a naked boy ... whose age he estimated to be 10 years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky," the grand jury report stated."

That's fucked up and I hope a mob gets all of them.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/10/justice/p ... ?hpt=hp_t1
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 am

My gut tells me that Sandusky had dirt on Joe Pa. I mean, could someone possibly be the head of a major NCAA football organization for so long and not have made "missteps" along the way? Everyone involved is the vilest form of dirty.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines