MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Have you read Rickert today?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Have you read Rickert today?

Postby bleurose » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Well, and having been on the teaching end of some of the next generation's "best & brightest" at the college and post-grad levels, I can say that realizing that, for a troubling number of them, their writing and comprehension skills are minimal to marginal is depressing. And I include some medical resident types in this. It really is amazing (not in a good way :cry: ) how badly these kids write, all the while believing that they write extremely well. Seems likely that Rickert is yet another example, just more public.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:25 am

bleurose wrote:It really is amazing (not in a good way :cry: ) how badly these kids write, all the while believing that they write extremely well. Seems likely that Rickert is yet another example, just more public.

I have to ask; do any of them get better or even try to? That would imply there's a chance Rickert would improve over time. That's what happened to my documentation, anyway. I look back at summaries and tech manuals I wrote for my backups ten years ago and cringe. At the time I thought I was being thorough and concise.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:55 am

Today Rickert's column had a point and made sense.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 pm

snoqueen wrote:Today Rickert's column had a point and made sense.

I noticed that too, and marvelled.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:36 pm

rabble, some of them do improve because they come to understand that good writing is a skill which requires work and training and that there are some of us out there who really do have something to offer by way of teaching. Unhappily, there are many more who cling fiercely to the belief that there is nothing wrong with their functionally illiterate writing, it is obviously the teacher who refuses to recognize that the student is indeed brilliant, as s/he has been told since before kindergarten. It was most depressing for me to realize that a lot of these near-geniuses (not kidding, they really do believe themselves to be so) were of the firm belief that simply gaining admittance to a professional degree program was complete proof of their shining star and they were therefore due the degree by that fact alone. I mean, we expected them to work & study?? WHAT were we thinking in the face of such superiority? :roll:
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Chris Rickert is the metro columnist for the Wisconsin State Journal, where he's got his laser-like perspective trained (mostly) on all things Madison. He is especially engaged by blatant hypocrisy, hot partisan rhetoric, class warfare and ice cream.

I wonder if Rickert wrote that himself.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines