MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 12.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:21 pm

I've seen a few variations of this kind of study over the years. Seems to confirm what we already know.

There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice, Hodson wrote in an email to LiveScience.

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence and social conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.

Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.

"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."

Nonetheless, there is reason to believe that strict right-wing ideology might appeal to those who have trouble grasping the complexity of the world.

"Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order," Hodson said, explaining why these beliefs might draw those with low intelligence. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice."

Read More...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 pm

It's also being discussed in the South Carolina GOP topic:
http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53965
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm

city2countrygal wrote:It's also being discussed in the South Carolina GOP topic:
http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53965

I see that now. Thanks.

I figured it might be here in some form somewhere... but don't have the time to comb every topic and post.

Perhaps such a weighty topic deserves its own thread.

We shall see.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:04 pm

What about low IQ and Liberal beliefs? Did the study link those to anything? Say, gullibility? Conformity? Susceptibility to cults of personality? Unhealthy narcissism? Vanity? Shouting down governors? Locking one's own head to gallery railings? Chanting? Drumming? Occupying? Incessant blowing of vuvuzelas?

Did those questions make it into the study?
Last edited by Meade on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:07 pm

oooh, someone took that article a little too personally...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:12 pm

massimo wrote:oooh, someone took that article a little too personally...

His wife must be taller than him.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Remember_Me wrote:I figured it might be here in some form somewhere... but don't have the time to comb every topic and post.

True, before fisticuffs posted the link, I wanted to add it. But I was thinking it should go in the "Republicans are bad" thread.

It probably does deserve it's own thread.

Meade wrote:What about low IQ and Liberal beliefs? Did the study link those to anything? Say, gullibility? Conformity? Susceptibility to cults of personality? Unhealthy narcissism? Vanity? Shouting down governors? Locking one's own head to gallery railings? Chanting? Drumming? Occupying? Incessantly blowing of vuvuzelas?

Remember_Me wrote:massimo wrote:
oooh, someone took that article a little too personally...

His wife must be taller than him.

Good one, Remember_Me! (See the article to get the full impact of the joke.)
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:16 pm

I got a chuckle out of Meade's assertion in the other thread that liberals are more gullible, are conformists and are more susceptible to cults of personality. He might have a point with vanity and narcissism, but gullibility, conformity and hero worship are pretty standard conservative traits.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm

pjbogart wrote:I got a chuckle out of Meade's assertion in the other thread that liberals are more gullible, are conformists and are more susceptible to cults of personality. He might have a point with vanity and narcissism, but gullibility, conformity and hero worship are pretty standard conservative traits.

I don't believe a word of it. If that were true, then the conservatives on the forum would spend all their time parroting talking points from Fox opinion leaders rather than thoughtfully considering and responding to opposing viewpoints.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 pm

I'd bet low IQ & Conservative beliefs are linked to military service too.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Detritus wrote:...parroting talking points from Fox opinion leaders...

Congratulations on parroting the liberal talking point.

Just shout "Fox News!" - proves everything you want it to.

Or wish it would.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:57 pm

To sum up:

"You're stupid!"

"No, you are!"

"Am not!"

"Are so!"

"You just said that cuz you're short!"
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 pm

bdog wrote:
Detritus wrote:...parroting talking points from Fox opinion leaders...

Congratulations on parroting the liberal talking point.

Just shout "Fox News!" - proves everything you want it to.

Or wish it would.

Now you're just projecting.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 am

It would seem like there are some pretty big assumptions in that report. One of them is that racism can be measured based on how people answer survey questions. I suspect that may not be an accurate way to measure racism even if everyone tries to answer truthfully.

In addition, as someone who has always scored very well on IQ tests, I question what they really measure. I suppose there is probably some baseline level of logic/problem solving that you need to have to be considered "intelligent", but there are other components as well. I know very intelligent people that cannot put together a clear, three paragraph e-mail.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:48 am

Meade wrote:What about low IQ and Liberal beliefs? Did the study link those to anything? Say, gullibility? Conformity? Susceptibility to cults of personality? Unhealthy narcissism? Vanity? Shouting down governors? Locking one's own head to gallery railings? Chanting? Drumming? Occupying? Incessantly blowing of vuvuzelas?

Even if what you suggest is true of liberals, these are all still advancement over the prejudice and racism embraced by the dummies on the right. That's why liberals are considered progressive.

And please, nobody is more gullible or conforming than the ~50% of citizens who continue to vote for candidates they can't afford to vote for, mostly because God told them too. Talk about a "cult of personality."

Accusing liberals of "unhealthy narcissism" and "vanity" while Willard and the Newt lead you on the march to hell, surely you meant that as a joke, right? Even you aren't silly enough to miss that.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines