MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What's the "grave moral wrong" of birth control?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: What's the "grave moral wrong" of birth control?

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Meade wrote:Okay, well I'm not Catholic but if you are and you choose to follow church doctrine, I want you to be free to do that. For others, like Endo Rockstar, I am happy to do my part to facilitate his sterilization if that's what he desires.

I don't, but thanks for your concern and you're welcome for the arousal that the thought of touching my dick has brought you.

I'm off to Meade my knob.

-Dan Motor
Last edited by Endo Rockstar on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Weak reply, but I can see why you might not want to give a direct answer.

Well Henry, you tell me - should Jehovah's Witnesses be allowed to opt out of Obamacare?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:thanks for your concern

Any time, Mr. Rockstar.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Weak reply, but I can see why you might not want to give a direct answer.

Well Henry, you tell me - should Jehovah's Witnesses be allowed to opt out of Obamacare?

Still afraid to answer my question, instead you ask one. Health care options should be available for all.

You question why birth control coverage should be mandated, so why hestitate about blood transfusions? Don't be a coward and give an honest response.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:00 pm

ralphie w wrote:Geez, J.J., what happened to the "ignore" feature? Sans Meade, this would be a pretty entertaining discussion.

Board Index/User Control Panel/ Friends and Foes/Manage Foes/Add new foes
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
jjoyce wrote:And the chatter about stupidity is, itself, stupid. And weak. Let's not do that here, okay?

Agreed. People can disagree with Laurence and his wife without making it personal and harsh.

What does my wife have to do with any of this discussion? Totally sexist of you to combine us that way, Kenneth.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Meade wrote:You question why birth control coverage should be mandated, so why hestitate about blood transfusions? Don't be a coward and give an honest response.

Blood transfusion coverage should not be mandated for Jehovah Witnesses any more than artificial birth control should have been mandated for your parents, Henry. How's that?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Meade wrote:What does my wife have to do with any of this discussion?

I want to know the same thing, which is why I chided a poster for bringing her up earlier in this thread with a noxious remark that I won't quote.

Meade wrote:Totally sexist of you to combine us that way, Kenneth.

What are you talking about? I scolded someone for bringing her up.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Sorry, Kenneth. I missed that earlier noxious remark. I beg your pardon.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:27 pm

So if a religious group like the Jehovahs don't believe in transfusions then it shouldn't be mandated? If not, what's the difference?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Meade wrote:You question why birth control coverage should be mandated, so why hestitate about blood transfusions? Don't be a coward and give an honest response.

Blood transfusion coverage should not be mandated for Jehovah Witnesses any more than artificial birth control should have been mandated for your parents, Henry. How's that?

So when an employer offer group coverage, then nothing can be mandated for coverage since someone is bound to be offended by various medical practices and procedures. Of course, Christian Scientists say that prayer is the answer and not modern medicine. There goes all health insurance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Meade wrote:The question is: What is the grave moral wrong of birth control. I'll leave it up to JJoyce to change his terms if that's what he wants to do here.

OK, I'll make it real simple.

Santorum opposes all forms of contraception. Including condoms.
He thinks that a married, heterosexual couple who use condoms for the purpose of preventing conception during sex is morally wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their own definitions of morality. But Santorum strongly implies that he wants to impose his morality on others.

Does that bother you?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:08 pm

DCB wrote:But Santorum strongly implies that he wants to impose his morality on others.

No he didn't. He strongly implied that an individual - who believes artificial birth control is a grave moral wrong - should not be forced by the government to purchase a product that facilitates people committing that grave moral wrong.

Here's an analogy: Suppose Congress, in 1850, passed a law mandating every American citizen purchase group insurance to cover the loss of cargo ships. Including slave ships. Would you have been down with that?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:09 pm

DCB wrote:
Meade wrote:The question is: What is the grave moral wrong of birth control. I'll leave it up to JJoyce to change his terms if that's what he wants to do here.

OK, I'll make it real simple.

Santorum opposes all forms of contraception. Including condoms.
He thinks that a married, heterosexual couple who use condoms for the purpose of preventing conception during sex is morally wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their own definitions of morality. But Santorum strongly implies that he wants to impose his morality on others.

Does that bother you?

See this is the big question. When you're dealing with a religious extremist like Santorum where does your "typical" conservative constituent differ? I'm pretty sure if I met Meade on the street he wouldn't have such quite the fascination with what I do with my junk that he has on here.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Meade wrote:
DCB wrote:But Santorum strongly implies that he wants to impose his morality on others.

Here's an analogy: Suppose Congress, in 1850, passed a law mandating every American citizen purchase group insurance to cover the loss of cargo ships. Including slave ships. Would you have been down with that?

Ah nuts, swing and a miss....

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines