MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Dick Cheney gets a heart

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Dick Cheney gets a heart

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Ending the draft is the only reason the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq lasted so long.

Care to explain? Thanks.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 pm

If you have to ask, no one can explain it to you. You're welcome.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Ending the draft is the only reason the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq lasted so long.

Care to explain? Thanks.

Would you care to explain why you're pretending that you don't understand why the deaths of drafted soldiers might sway public opinion more than enlisted ones? Thanks.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Citizen armies used to fight our wars, not just professional volunteers who have had to enter combat zones over and over again for at least a decade. I was part of that citizen military force (Navy in my case) during Vietnam when I volunteered in lieu of being drafted. Without the draft, no one back home (except military families in our down sized armed forces) thinks much about our ongoing war. Rachel Maddow recently wrote a book about that drift in American policy and its ramifications.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Meade wrote:[
Then, also, explain to us why LBJ was not the most evil president in US history. Thank you.

I was a mere child when LBJ was president and thought that when he picked up his dogs, Him and Her, by their ears he was evil.

More on topic, so Cheney finally got a heart! Bless him, maybe now he will have some feeling for the commoners.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Madsci wrote:More on topic, so Cheney finally got a heart! Bless him, maybe now he will have some feeling for the commoners.

I wonder how long before he's recovered enough to shoot a few lawyers - woops excuse me, farm-raised quail by the bucketful after a couple well-deserved highballs.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I was part of that citizen military force (Navy in my case) during Vietnam when I volunteered in lieu of being drafted.

You avoided the draft by joining the Navy because the American war in Vietnam was a war you believed in and you were eager to serve in the military in order to help that war effort. Is that correct?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Madsci wrote:I was a mere child when LBJ was president and thought that when he picked up his dogs, Him and Her, by their ears he was evil.

Wisdom of the child. I'm sorry you had to experience that, Madsci.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 am

Meade wrote:Is that correct?

No.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I was part of that citizen military force (Navy in my case) during Vietnam when I volunteered in lieu of being drafted.

because the American war in Vietnam was a war you believed in and you were eager to serve in the military in order to help that war effort. Is that correct?

You're putting words in Henry's mouth, Joining the Navy and being drafted for the Army or Marines are completely different things. If you fail to understand the difference, I don't think we can explain it to you.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:17 am

Twinner wrote:Joining the Navy and being drafted for the Army or Marines are completely different things.

Marines? Can't say I remember that one.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 am

rabble wrote:
Twinner wrote:Joining the Navy and being drafted for the Army or Marines are completely different things.

Marines? Can't say I remember that one.

The Army and the Marines inducted draftees during Vietnam. The Navy was all volunteer except for doctors and dentists, who were often draftees.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines