MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 am

Dangerousman wrote:
penquin wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:...sociopath wannabe gangstas...

Lots of folks are saying that Trayvon was a "gangsta" 'cause he liked to smoke the ganja, but you're the first who has also accused him of being a sociopath.

Do you feel that way about everybody who has smoked pot or just this one particular kid?

No, smoking pot has nothing to do with it. His behavior in general was sociopathic.

Please specifically describe examples of Trayvon's sociopathic behavior.

Considering the near complete disregard for society shown by "gun rights advocates" these days, you are sure to be an expert on this, too.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:59 am

snoqueen wrote:--The idea the prosecution "wanted" to lose is only one way to look at it. Another way is to realize these small county DA offices are not well staffed or well paid...

But somehow they manage to get convictions 90% of the time in spite of these handicaps. Maybe having the full power of the state behind you helps a bit ay?
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 am

wack wack wrote:Please specifically describe examples of Trayvon's sociopathic behavior.

Excessive participation in online forums?
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:09 am

...somehow they manage to get convictions 90% of the time in spite of these handicaps.

Link please.

I just tried googling the reciprocal -- percent of acquittals in county DA cases -- and my findings, in quite a number of courts, don't match what you claim. I can't find a national overall average if that matters any.

Look, just throwing out a number doesn't work around here because somebody will jump on it. Citing a source helps.
Last edited by snoqueen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:14 am

Seminole county has about the same population as Dane County.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:18 am

My bad, that's the federal rate and I extrapolated, Florida was 59% in recent years according to Wiki anyway.

"For 2011, the US Department of Justice reported a 93% conviction rate.[3] The conviction rate is also high in U.S. state courts. Coughlan writes, "In recent years, the conviction rate has averaged approximately 84% in Texas, 82% in California, 72% in New York, 67% in North Carolina, and 59% in Florida."[4]"
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 am

I wasn't sure where you were going with the Dane County reference so I just let it slide. But Florida is more messed up than I realized according to that data. I guess we shouldn't be surprised the prosecution on the GZ case was the way it was.

However, are you (Wiki) citing federal or state/county court statistics? Two way different things.

This whole thing is a red herring and I'll let it drop having made my point about throwing statistics around. Thanks for following up.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am

You mentioned the small budget the District Attorney had in his small county. It ain't Hooterville. It's similar in size to Dane County. I suppose they could bump their budget and conviction rate and throw even more black males into the system. Is that your goal?
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Dangerousman wrote:[His behavior in general was sociopathic. And he aspired to be "gangsta" because that's how he described himself to his friend in his texts when he bragged about his fights and how he made people bleed by punching them in the nose.

Teenage boys getting in fights and acting macho?

That never happened in my day!!!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Another juror is speaking out.

Zimmerman juror: He 'got away with murder'

In related news, there is a growing movement to boycott travel to Florida unless they get rid of their stand your ground law.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Another juror is speaking out.

Zimmerman juror: He 'got away with murder'

In related news, there is a growing movement to boycott travel to Florida unless they get rid of their stand your ground law.

From your link:

"You can't put the man in jail even though in our hearts we felt he was guilty," she said. "But we had to grab our hearts and put it aside and look at the evidence."

Unlike many people here, this juror is intelligent enough to put emotion aside.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:--The idea the prosecution "wanted" to lose is only one way to look at it. Another way is to realize these small county DA offices are not well staffed or well paid (surely not by accident, given the low regard some parts of the country have for public service), and are hardly ready for national prime-time performances. The same happened with OJ Simpson. Another inherent weakness in these cases is poor collection and handling of evidence, which is extremely obvious in the GZ case when you realize they didn't collect much evidence at all until a couple weeks had elapsed. The police investigation people were no more ready for prime time than the prosecution folks.

You can explain a lot of it with that but not the glaring mistakes, like not disqualifying B37. Just how stupid or inexperienced or incompetent does a lawyer have to be to let that one go by?

These people do, occasionally, win a case now and then. Presumably they've all been through law school. Some of this stuff looks like first year law.

In any event, we'll see how the civil suit goes. That one will not be prosecuted by government lawyers.
Last edited by rabble on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Yes, they based their decision on an extremely flawed law. Thus the boycott.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GordonFreeman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:05 pm

Why is the blood on the back of Douchepussy's head not smudged? Why is it dripping/running in the direction it is?

Why was the back of his jacket completely clean? Didn't he struggle and squirm on the grass on his back?

Why were TM hands and knuckles completely free of injury and blood?

Oops.
GordonFreeman

Postby Sandi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Yes, they based their decision on an extremely flawed law. Thus the boycott.

That the law is flawed, is just your opinion, and and unpopular one at that.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines