MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:11 am

Dangerousman wrote:
rabble wrote:
“To be honest with you, I have a bad memory anyway,” he told Mr. Serino.

That's a pretty solid defense.

I've lived in my house for more than 15 years and there are days it takes me awhile to remember the names of some of the nearby streets. As strange as it may seem at first glance, when teaching a concealed carry class, home protection, or discussing setting up a safe room in one's home, we teach that one should have one's address and phone number written on a card near the phone. Under the high stress of a home intruder it isn't unusual for a person to forget or flub their own address or phone number and having the card handy reduces the risk of providing the 911 dispatcher with erroneous information.

Oh, I believe him about misremembering. I just wonder why the hell you also believe that a guy on a prescription for his ADD who can't remember the streets he "patrols" will remember the entire incident with accurate detail. He's filling in the details he can't remember and he thinks they're memories. Even if he passes that lie detection thing, we can't trust that what he says is really what happened.

I can't wait to hear the rationalization you come up with for that one.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:32 am

Remember_Me wrote:
I tend to avoid crazy people with guns whenever possible.

If I'm on the phone with someone I would instruct them to call the police and then I would also do the same.

Martin did none of these things.

There is no way in the world a young black kid will- or should- call the police. Things being what they are, that would just result in the kid being arrested. (Admittedly that would have been a better outcome, but it would have been just as wrong)
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:23 am

rabble wrote:Oh, I believe him about misremembering. I just wonder why the hell you also believe that a guy on a prescription for his ADD who can't remember the streets he "patrols" will remember the entire incident with accurate detail. He's filling in the details he can't remember and he thinks they're memories. Even if he passes that lie detection thing, we can't trust that what he says is really what happened.

I can't wait to hear the rationalization you come up with for that one.

If you're directing that comment to me, I don't have a rationalization for it or a need to rationalize it. I don't know if there's even any validity to your theory. I have no expertise on ADD or knowledge of whether it would affect memory of events of that nature or have any impact on his credibility. I would think that the the recollection of things like street names is a different sort of memory than the recollection of events. But I'll defer to someone with credentials in that area.

I do know that witnesses to shocking events tend to have varying accounts of the same event because everyone's perceptions are different, particularly under stress. His statements have been generally consistent, which suggests he's either being honest or is a highly accomplished liar-- something few people can pull off.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:58 am

The American Psychiatric Association considers ADD to be a mental disorder.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 am

peripat wrote:The American Psychiatric Association considers ADD to be a mental disorder.

And that is significant because...??? What?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:57 am

Dangerousman wrote:
peripat wrote:The American Psychiatric Association considers ADD to be a mental disorder.

Grounds for an insanity plea...??? What?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

Grounds for an insanity plea...??? What?

Oh my, look at that politically incorrect jab at people with disabilities. Ouch

Considering I once was told, in all seriousness, that using the term "lame excuse" was insensitive to people with disabilities, I'd hate to hear the reaction to your suggestion of insanity. I can't imagine the fallout if some political candidate foolishly said or wrote that Henry!
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:49 pm

It's logical, I suppose, that representatives of a fanatical group of gun nuts, the NRA, whose board of directors and high officials are made up of gun and ammo manufacturers that benefit directly from relaxed gun laws, and whose rhetoric often depends on emotion-based catch phrases to present their whirled view to create a narrow minded, special interest definition of the Constitution, would accuse concerned citizens of being "politically correct." (using yet another catch phrase)
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Show of hands... who here represents the NRA? I see no hands. Anyone?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Dangerousman wrote:If you're directing that comment to me, I don't have a rationalization for it or a need to rationalize it. I don't know if there's even any validity to your theory. I have no expertise on ADD or knowledge of whether it would affect memory of events of that nature or have any impact on his credibility. I would think that the the recollection of things like street names is a different sort of memory than the recollection of events. But I'll defer to someone with credentials in that area.

I do know that witnesses to shocking events tend to have varying accounts of the same event because everyone's perceptions are different, particularly under stress. His statements have been generally consistent, which suggests he's either being honest or is a highly accomplished liar-- something few people can pull off.

That's odd. When evidence suggests that we might not be able trust his story, you're not an expert and won't comment.

But you are, apparently, an expert on witness testimony.

And in this case your expert opinion is that we can trust his story.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Show of hands... who here represents the NRA? I see no hands. Anyone?

Look at a mirror. You certainly are an apologist for the NRA (remember the discussion ontheir anti-Barrett ad where the NRA implied that he would take away hunting rifles)?

If it walks like a duck...
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Show of hands... who here represents the NRA? I see no hands. Anyone?

Does this need to be updated?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/auric-gold/15/102/57b
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:59 pm

rabble wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:If you're directing that comment to me, I don't have a rationalization for it or a need to rationalize it. I don't know if there's even any validity to your theory. I have no expertise on ADD or knowledge of whether it would affect memory of events of that nature or have any impact on his credibility. I would think that the the recollection of things like street names is a different sort of memory than the recollection of events. But I'll defer to someone with credentials in that area.

That's odd. When evidence suggests that we might not be able trust his story, you're not an expert and won't comment.

But you are, apparently, an expert on witness testimony.

And in this case your expert opinion is that we can trust his story.

Evidence suggests that we might not be able to trust his story? I saw that you suggested it, I saw no evidence. Are you an expert on ADD? How about that insinuation that he's mentally ill because "the American Psychiatric Association considers ADD to be a mental disorder." Guess what! They also consider nicotine addiction, anorexia nervosa and the fear of spiders to be mental disorders. Are people with those disorders unreliable as witnesses or dangerous to have walking around?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:20 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:the NRA, whose board of directors and high officials are made up of gun and ammo manufacturers that benefit directly from relaxed gun laws

I suppose Al Gore's talk about "global warming" ought to be disregarded on the grounds that he's benefited greatly financially from it. Also the physicians on the board of directors of the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society who benefit from all those scare tactics... right?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:36 pm

O.J. wrote:

Does this need to be updated?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/auric-gold/15/102/57b

A bump, a bump, for our little gun nut hump.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines