MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sock Her

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Sock Her

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sock Her

Postby pjbogart » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:43 pm

The wingnuts are plastering this one all over the web because it's a video of a black girl beating up a white girl. The timing is a bit suspicious.

Or were you under the impression that of the literally tens of thousands of sporting events played weekly that a fight is such an unusual event that it warrants national attention?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:39 pm

The radical right-wing nutjob site I found it on was Yahoo's homepage. It was the main story.

Don't read into it too much sport.

I'm sure the wingnuts are using it to further their agenda. I think it's more of an uncontrolled youth problem and lack of parenting than a racial issue.

I see videos like this all the time and wonder where the hell is the parenting. Not, oh great, another black kid committing a crime... damn animals.

People seem to give me plenty of good reasons to not like them without race ever even being considered.

I am an equal opportunity hater.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:16 am

So what makes this particular video so spectacular? If it had happened at a hockey game I'm pretty sure no one would have been arrested. Of the thousands of fights at sporting events in the last month alone, why is this one grabbing headlines?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 am

Honestly, when I first clicked on the link, I read the caption, and didn't even bother watching. After going back and watching it, I have to say, it seems like the article is way over reacting to the incident. Not say the attack isn't a bad thing, but I've seen much worse in terms of intent to injure. Google "Zidane headbutt".

I see a player who had a good break on her opponent get tripped from behind. Had she kept her head, I wouldn't have been shocked if the defender had gotten a yellow card for that as it looked like a blatant trip.

The problem with the video is that it also doesn't show what's been going on the rest of the game. My guess is that trip wasn't the first thing that defender did to piss off the assailant. What looks like a pretty bad over reaction to a trip, could very easily be 30-40 min of frustration finally boiling over. Grabbing your opponent and throwing them to the ground isn't the right response, ever, but definitely not worth the attention it's getting.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:06 am

Remember_Me wrote:I am an equal opportunity hater.

That sounds familiar. Are you a Chicago sports fan, too?

Go Sox!
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 am

pjbogart wrote:So what makes this particular video so spectacular? If it had happened at a hockey game I'm pretty sure no one would have been arrested. Of the thousands of fights at sporting events in the last month alone, why is this one grabbing headlines?

Hockey - different sport, sport. If soccer players wore pads and helmets like hockey players it probably would not be a big deal.

Post a few videos from the thousands of fights in the last month and we'll figure out if they're different. Just a few out of thousands - not too much to ask.

FYI - I have my video plug in disabled so I didn't watch it, just read the description. It sounded pretty harsh though - was the description accurate?

If it was a black on white beating I'm not surprised people are using it to their political advantage but that doesn't make the attack itself dismissable.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 am

Assailant stands up after being tripped, grabs the defender by the hair and pulls her off her feet, then proceeded hit her repeatedly in the head with what looks mostly like a slapping motion (though it's hard to determine if her hand was opened or closed in the video). She is pulled off within 10 seconds of grabbing the hair.

imho, the article makes it sound much worse than it really was. I watched with sound off though, so if there was any verbal component that made it worse, I missed it.

A big factor in the assault charges probably stem from the fact that the assailant is 18 and this was a high school game, so there is a good chance she was assaulting a minor.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 pm

It WAS vicious.

I shudder to think what would have happened were there not adults so close to break it up. The attacker was going full bore with no signs of letting up.

As far as why it's making headlines, perhaps you could write Yahoo over that.

I can't recall seeing an attack like this before between teen girls at something as benign as a school soccer game.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm not saying that the attack wasn't vicious. I'm also not saying that the girl shouldn't have been arrested, though I would say if you're going to start arresting the evil black athletes, you better start arresting the evil white ones too.

My question was "what makes this fight so spectacular?" You started the Trayvon Martin thread, then proceeded to post a video of a black girl beating up a white girl at a South Carolina high school soccer game. Why? You didn't even bother adding any editorial to your original post. Fights at soccer matches aren't generally national news, though occasionally a hockey brawl gets so out of hand that it's worth watching a few times.

What was the point of your original post? Were you lamenting the decay of sportsmanship in America? If so, why didn't you say something to that effect?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'm not saying that the attack wasn't vicious. I'm also not saying that the girl shouldn't have been arrested, though I would say if you're going to start arresting the evil black athletes, you better start arresting the evil white ones too.

My question was "what makes this fight so spectacular?" You started the Trayvon Martin thread, then proceeded to post a video of a black girl beating up a white girl at a South Carolina high school soccer game. Why? You didn't even bother adding any editorial to your original post. Fights at soccer matches aren't generally national news, though occasionally a hockey brawl gets so out of hand that it's worth watching a few times.

What was the point of your original post? Were you lamenting the decay of sportsmanship in America? If so, why didn't you say something to that effect?

Sigh.

It's spectacular because a pretty white girl was beat up by yet another black animal.

Happy?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Sigh.

It's spectacular because a pretty white girl was beat up by yet another black animal.

Happy?

See, now why didn't you just put that in the body of your original post?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:44 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:Sigh.

Happy?

See, now why didn't you just put that in the body of your original post?

Felt so good to just finally say it.

Ever since this hell-bound country elected that Muslim Kenyan I've had to bite my tongue and just suck it up.

I'm gonna spend the rest of my weekend commenting on Yahoo articles bitching about Obama in every way I can think of.

Or should I say O-bummer!

You've help set me free. Thank you.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby No_Limit_Crakka » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:50 pm

As bad as the assault supposedly was, I think it's far worse to report or comment on a black person attacking a white person. The perpetuation of hurtful stereotypes of black aggression only fuels the rage that blacks feel, and contributes to more black-on-white violence (not that that is a bad thing, per se, but the perception of that violence by the dominant culture is a bad thing, and something that all white people should be ashamed of).
No_Limit_Crakka

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:51 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Felt so good to just finally say it.

Ever since this hell-bound country elected that Muslim Kenyan I've had to bite my tongue and just suck it up.

I'm gonna spend the rest of my weekend commenting on Yahoo articles bitching about Obama in every way I can think of.

Or should I say O-bummer!

You've help set me free. Thank you.

Don't mention it. I hope that with a bit of racist ranting you might get it out of your system. Yahoo seems an excellent place to start, as you're sure to find yourself amongst like minded individuals. I suspect many of them are paid spammers, but if you're willing to do it for free perhaps you'll get a job offer.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of witnessing the racist banter typical of the Yahoo comment sections, you should take a few minutes to acquaint yourself. If you've ever found yourself doubting that Republicans are largely blithering fools, consumed by bigotry and hatred, a few minutes perusing Yahoo will completely erase those doubts.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines