MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Military Atheists

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Military Atheists

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 pm

This is good news.

FORT BRAGG, North Carolina (Reuters) - An atheist-themed festival drew hundreds of people to an Army post in North Carolina on Saturday for what was believed to be the first-ever event held on a U.S. military base for service members who do not have religious beliefs.

Organizers said they hoped the "Rock Beyond Belief" event at Fort Bragg would spur equal treatment toward nonbelievers in the armed forces and help lift the stigma for approximately 295,000 active duty personnel who consider themselves atheist, agnostic or without a religious preference.

Defense Department policy holds that all service members have the right to believe in any or no religion. But those gathered at the event described being ostracized and harassed in the military community for not believing in God and worried about getting passed over for promotions if their secularist stances were widely known.

"We're sending a message," said Justin Griffith, an Army sergeant stationed at Fort Bragg who spearheaded the event. "Foxhole atheists are out there fighting for your rights. Please return the favor."

The majority of U.S. adults consider themselves Christian, though there are signs the country is becoming less religious. The American Religious Identification Survey in 2008 showed a growing number of people identified as atheist, agnostic or having no stated religious preference, with 15 percent in that group in 2008 compared to 8.2 percent in 1990.

Read More...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Military Atheists

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:58 pm

There are no atheists in foxholes, but good luck with that.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:There are no atheists in foxholes...

I can't think of anything that would convince me more that there is no God than being stuck in a foxhole under fire.

Seriously, this is one of the dumbest aphorisms ever coined.
I've never been in a foxhole, but I have thought I was probably gonna die (on more than one occasion, now that I think about it.)
God never crossed my mind.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:There are no atheists in foxholes...

I can't think of anything that would convince me more that there is no God than being stuck in a foxhole under fire.

Seriously, this is one of the dumbest aphorisms ever coined.
I've never been in a foxhole, but I have thought I was probably gonna die (on more than one occasion, now that I think about it.)
God never crossed my mind.

From the article...

"Christianity also dominates the religious makeup of the military. Only about 8,000 out of 1.4 million active duty members in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force identify themselves as atheists, and another 1,800 say they are agnostic, according to the Defense Department."
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:13 pm

There can be reasons for declaring a religious affiliation, upon enlistment or later, that are not apparent to those who have never served. Don't trust the stats.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:There are no atheists in foxholes, but good luck with that.

How would a chickenhawk like you know that?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Ned, how does that quote from the article address my comment?
Do you think I'm unaware that the majority of those in the armed forces express a religious affiliation?

If you have a statistic showing how many people entered the military without religious beliefs but "found God" while serving, that might be relevant. I'm guessing you know of no such statistic.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:There are no atheists in foxholes, but good luck with that.

How would a chickenhawk like you know that?

Where have you been soldier?
Training, sir.
Training, sir.
What kind of training?
Army training, sir.
Army training, sir.

Where is your drill sergeant, men?
Blown up, sir!
Blown up, sir!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Ned, how does that quote from the article address my comment?

Directly.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Ned, how does that quote from the article address my comment?

Directly.

How so?
Heck, if anything, it proves your beloved aphorism wrong to the tune of 9800 soldiers.
If you have a point, make it. 'Cuz fuck if I know what you're babbling about.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:52 pm

One of the most well-known military atheists was Pat Tillman. To say there are "no atheists in foxholes" is a case of turning off thinking in favor of meaningless aphorisms. But that's pretty much what Ned is known for around here.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 pm

As I mentioned in a previous discussion, I had my dog tags changed from Roman Cath to No Pref after I got orders to Vietnam. I wasn't the only one in my unit to do so. It was a godless war.

Luckily congressional funding cutbacks cancelled those orders. Such war budget reductions help end our involvement in that unwinable conflict.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:14 am

Q. Atheists in foxholes?
A. Yes, atheists in foxholes!

http://militaryatheists.org/expaif.html
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 am

I think it is probably true that most of the soldiers on both sides of practically every war believe in a supreme being.

Is it just me or is there something really fucked up about that?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 am

gargantua wrote:I think it is probably true that most of the soldiers on both sides of practically every war believe in a supreme being.
Not only that, most of those who do believe, also believe that the supreme being is on their side.

I say this to make plain how foolish it is to point to the large number of believers as evidence that they must be on to something. Unless the argument is that God is a warmongering, two-faced asshole who loves pitting his creations against each other in contests to the death, of course. Then it makes perfect sense.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines