MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, March 2, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Rise of Atheism in America & Who to Thank

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The Rise of Atheism in America & Who to Thank

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:13 pm

My 5-year-old son recently declared (without any coaching or prompting from me, I might add) that he doesn't believe in God because "He wears the same clothes every day." When I asked him to explain, he said, "He wears a blue hoodie. That's what he wore yesterday, that's what he wore today, and that's what he's going to wear tomorrow."

No idea where that came from, but I gotta say I find that argument against His existence at least as compelling as Johnny's argument for.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Johnny, for your benefit: I know it has been stated several times, in one way or another, but I'll add in that just because we don't know how some physical process occurs, that in no way gives evidence of something supernatural. I'll actually take it a step farther and say that even if some physical property or process is not just unknown, but inherently not knowable, that still is not evidence for the supernatural.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Oh, and no evidence for the Big Bang? Come on, man.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:41 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:I "came out" to a fellow mother.
She gasped and said "How can you be an atheist? You seem like such a good mom!"

Same mom was heard to say "I think Atheists should be deported. This country was founded on Freedom OF Religion, not freedom from religion. You shouldn't be free to not believe in a God."

Needless to say, she does not like me. And has encouraged other mothers to blackball my kid. Very Christian behavior.

What a ridiculous line of thinking. Without exception, the Atheists I know are more giving, open, caring, and far, far less judgmental than any Christian I've ever known. I fully expect Atheists to be much better parents than Christians.

I think your acquaintance provides wonderful evidence of this.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:43 pm

wack wack wrote: Atheists I know are more giving, open, caring, and far, far less judgmental than any Christian I've ever known. I fully expect Atheists to be much better parents than Christians.

I look at it this way -- who would expect to be more kind, fair, honest, etc.: someone who does so because it is the right thing to do, or someone who fears punishment if they do otherwise?
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:03 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:I "came out" to a fellow mother.
She gasped and said "How can you be an atheist? You seem like such a good mom!"

Same mom was heard to say "I think Atheists should be deported. This country was founded on Freedom OF Religion, not freedom from religion. You shouldn't be free to not believe in a God."

Needless to say, she does not like me. And has encouraged other mothers to blackball my kid. Very Christian behavior.

This is one of the most profoundly sad things I've read in weeks. Of course it's not a surprise, as many polls have shown over the years.

And, just because I'm reminded of it again, I'm going to link to George Carlin's famous monologue about God and religion. (transcript)

My favorite:
So, if there is a God, I think most reasonable people might agree that he's at least incompetent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn't give a shit. Doesn't give a shit, which I admire in a person, and which would explain a lot of these bad results.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:48 pm

I'd be curious to know where we atheists are going when we're deported. If they're deporting us to New Zealand and the kiwis will take us, sounds great!
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:31 pm

My 5-year-old son recently declared (without any coaching or prompting from me, I might add) that he doesn't believe in God because "He wears the same clothes every day." When I asked him to explain, he said, "He wears a blue hoodie. That's what he wore yesterday, that's what he wore today, and that's what he's going to wear tomorrow."

I love this. Candidate for quote of the year.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

At 17 I realized that if there was a god it must be powerless or malevolent or indifferent or a giant tease, none of which was exactly conducive to belief or worship. I'm comfortable & almost never 'come out' because there is no point in arguing with people who want to believe in gods or angels or ghosts.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 pm

wack wack wrote: Without exception, the Atheists I know are more giving, open, caring, and far, far less judgmental than any Christian I've ever known.

Perhaps you should broaden the base of people you know.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:59 am

Just to cut this short for myself, my experience started as a freshman in high school. Think of it what you will. Walking down the hall to my locker one day, I remembered that I realized I was depressed the night before, and a thought came to me that I didn't have to be. Then, I was a pretty bright kid, before the homelessness and stuff. Anyway, another kid walked by and said "hi!" in a really high spirited way, and I realized this guy was tuned in to a happiness, so I held onto it and didn't let it go. I was able to do things like that then, hand onto anything for as long as I wanted, but this was something new. I kept doing it every day and about a year later I had a vision of heaven at night in my room. It was kind of cool. So I just kept doing this same thing, following a feeling of happiness or love or whatever.

At some point, I was taken up into heaven. I can't remember the first time because each time was such a great experience. But it was always at night in my room. This was about spring of my Sophomore year. And it went on for about another year until I started smoking pot, and then it never happened again. The last trip up was the first Monday in April, 1979. I got stoned on Friday, kept getting stoned, and that was that.

Anyone can say whatever they like, and believe whatever they want. "God" is just a word, like nature. There is good and bad and the ability to choose one or the other. What material things you believe are only relevant to the environment you live in, and you have to be in perfect harmony in that environment to have a chance of having the same experience, so the words you believe are irrelevant, as is all religion etal, neither necessary nor a disqualifier. But w/o a doubt what I experienced was heaven. When you're in heaven you have far more clarity than at any other moment in your.

About once a month an extreme presence would flash by, always from the right to the left, and you could only feel the brilliance of white light as it went by, but you couldn't really fathom it. This isn't something I dreamed up. The truth is, when you're in heaven you have far more clarity than at any other time in your life. Believe it, disbelieve it, whatever you like.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:25 am

jonnygothispen wrote:When you're in heaven you have far more clarity than at any other moment in your.

This one is just too good to let go.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed May 09, 2012 9:42 pm

One soldier's tale of trying to convince his drill sergeant that he belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, plus getting the applicable dog tags.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines