MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Time To Start Charging Parents With Crimes?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Time To Start Charging Parents With Crimes?

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Headlines like this and this seem to be popping up more than ever before.

When are these parents going to start being held accountable for the actions of their children? How long before one of these out-of-control children seriously hurt or kill another child/teacher?

How do we get these parents to take parenting seriously?

I say charge them with whatever the kids are charged with... or child neglect at the very least.

What say you? What's the answer here?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Time To Start Charging Parents With Crimes?

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Remember_Me wrote:I say charge them with whatever the kids are charged with... or child neglect at the very least.

What say you? What's the answer here?

Well I guess it depends if the kid actual has some psychological issues that could be treated by a doctor. Maybe. There is a chance the kids parents are poor, can't afford health insurance, and can't get the kid the help that they need.

Don't jump to conclusions so quickly. I don't know their home life and neither do you. You should use your own advice from the Zimmerman thread.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Why do we 'mainstream' every kid regardless of behavior, intelligence, grades, etc? I remember a recent story about West High School this past year that had to do with people protesting additional 'honors' classes.

You misbehave then you get thrown out or you go to a different school. They need to get these kids out of the 'mainstream'. I'd bet a lot of these kids get 'treated' and then put back.

We need to start differentiating again. Enough trophies for all.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:40 pm

I wouldn't assume that all these kids are just delinquents who need some sense pounded into them, or that the parents are enabling bad behavior.

There can be other issues that result in the kid acting out. As a parent of a child with autism, I know a thing or two about it...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Alright, alright. We're not talking about the kids with Autism or any easily diagnosed psyche issues.

Let's stop making excuses and get down to the nitty gritty (first round's on me).

I'm talking the kids who are the obvious results of parents who are deficient in parenting... for whatever reason. Being "poor" isn't an excuse to me. Birth control is a fraction the cost of having actual children... and often free and readily available in many cases (for now anyway).

I'm talking of parents who deliberately shirk their responsibilities as parents for the most part. Where parenting seems more a part time hobby than what it truly is. Where you're a father only every other weekend. Or a mother only when Real Housewives Of Wherever isn't on.

It's convenience parenting. And our children are suffering as a result and someone needs to be held accountable.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Remember_Me wrote:I'm talking the kids who are the obvious results of parents who are deficient in parenting... for whatever reason. Being "poor" isn't an excuse to me. Birth control is a fraction the cost of having actual children... and often free and readily available in many cases (for now anyway).

No, you're talking about kids in reference to this article. Do you have ANY evidence to evaluate their living and or mental situation. If you wanted to JUST talk about problem kids, retract these articles.

Remember_Me wrote: Where you're a father only every other weekend.

Such as having visitation rights every other weekend. Maybe we should criminalize divorce.

Want a crowbar for your foot?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:03 pm

R_M seems to speak in code. And not only on this thread.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 pm

I haven't read the article. I'm just going on the "should we charge the parents" thing.

My kid is a product of an every other weekend father and is a lot more emotionally healthy than either parent was at that age, and doing well.

And over forty or so years I've known enough families where I know for a fact that the parents were doing what they should be and at least one of their kids turned out bad, that I'm pretty sure it's a common thing.

You can always fuck 'em up if you try hard enough but you can't always raise a good one even if you do everything right.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:13 pm

This is why these kids are running amok.

No one can fucking talk about it without being accused of nonsense or having their words twisted.

Enjoy having your kids getting their ass kicked by some fucked up kid who couldn't get help because grown ups couldn't have an adult conversation about a real issue without mud slinging.

No wonder the bullying epidemic is out of control.

Apparently my idea of there being fucked up parents out there is all in my head.

What in the world was I thinking trying to have a grown up discussion about them??

:roll:
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:R_M seems to speak in code. And not only on this thread.

Nothing code about it.

Where am I anything but deliberate in what I say?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:27 pm

When you address my comments then we can talk. Until then you are making blanket statements.

Kid fucks up at at school so its 100% the parents fault.

Not that cut and dry.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 pm

No. You seriously think we ought to spend money and time prosecuting parents for a 6-year-old's temper tantrum?

The cited cases involve very young children. Obviously parents need to be brought in and assistance in addressing a child's behavior should be provided. In some cases it could be medical conditions or brain injury causing the behaviors. In some cases there might be parental or caregiver neglect or abuse, which is chargeable.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Donald wrote:No. You seriously think we ought to spend money and time prosecuting parents for a 6-year-old's temper tantrum?

Temper tantrum?

No.

Causing physical harm and violence... I don't know. Maybe.

Depends on the investigation into the child and parents.

If the child isn't deemed to have any kind of underlying psyche or medical issue then something has taught them that violence is the answer. I believe it's a parent's responsibility to teach a child that violence is wrong. Do I think a parent should be charged the first time a kid acts out? No... probably not. But there's usually a pattern with these kids. This is learned behavior.

What if the kid's not 6 but 13? Would it be okay to pursue the parents then? What's a good age? Never? Wait til they're adults committing crimes then nab them? No consequences for the parents then ever?

At what point does the child get to have rights? How much does the child have to suffer at the hands of his neglectful parent(s)? Why is it okay to even let a child devolve to the point where they're inflicting physical violence on to other people in vicious ways at such young ages? These ain't no "temper tantrums".

Why should it ever end if there's no consequences for shitty parenting? How much suffering should these children endure? Even when we finally take the kids out of the home there's still no consequences. Well, at least for the parents there isn't. Traumatizes the hell out of the kids of course.

When do we say enough is enough and hold parents responsible for the damage they do to their children?

I'm sick of seeing these beautiful kids at stores with their asshole parents being shitty to them and everyone else around them and thinking to myself that that poor kid doesn't stand a chance in life.

And all he did was be born to the wrong people.

It's fucking absurd.

The innocent kids seemingly have no rights and their asshole parents do.

And we keep enabling it.

Plain ass backwards.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:44 am

Stebben84 wrote:Such as having visitation rights every other weekend. Maybe we should criminalize divorce.

Want a crowbar for your foot?

Nope. No crowbar for me.

I said fathers who are fathers only every other weekend.

I know a few dads who have every other weekend visitation and they're great dads. They're great dads because they are still fathers to their children even when it's not their weekend. They don't do it because it's simply their court ordered weekend. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:22 am

Remember_Me wrote:I'm sick of seeing these beautiful kids at stores.

So creepy when taken out of context.
Petro
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Headlines