MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Interesting Study - What's Your Take?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Interesting Study - What's Your Take?

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed May 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I doubt very highly that any Christians walk around all day actively engaged in denying the existence of Apollo or Kukulkán, and I'd be very surprised if any of them started a club to actively promote those non-beliefs.

This actually sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone else want to start a club denying the existence of Apollo?

YES. Finally!!!
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed May 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Why would someone who doesn't believe in joining things join something?
Speaking only for myself, it isn't that I don't believe in joining things, it's that joining a group based on what you don't do is nonsensical. It'd be like joining a club for people who don't like to ski. Or belonging to an organization for people who don't collect beer cans.

To be fair, FFRF does a lot of good work on maintaining the separation of church and state, which is really their stated purpose. To follow your analogy, that would be like making sure that school kids aren't forced to go on ski trips.

But then they veer off into evangelizing their atheism, and that turns me off.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 pm

DCB wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Why would someone who doesn't believe in joining things join something?
Speaking only for myself, it isn't that I don't believe in joining things, it's that joining a group based on what you don't do is nonsensical. It'd be like joining a club for people who don't like to ski. Or belonging to an organization for people who don't collect beer cans.

To be fair, FFRF does a lot of good work on maintaining the separation of church and state, which is really their stated purpose. To follow your analogy, that would be like making sure that school kids aren't forced to go on ski trips.

But then they veer off into evangelizing their atheism, and that turns me off.

They also tend to choose to be rather dickish when it simply isn't necessary, such as their solstice message annually displayed in the Capitol.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 pm

There is nothing inherently atheistic about working for a separation of church and state, nor should there be. Everybody benefits when no particular belief (or unbelief) receives special treatment. That's the whole point.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed May 02, 2012 11:22 pm

DCB wrote:To be fair, FFRF does a lot of good work on maintaining the separation of church and state, which is really their stated purpose.

I think their purpose is similar to the NRA - push the envelope of their particular amendment (or clause) as far as possible to one side, regardless of the original intent. They accomplish much more by the threat of lawsuit than they do by actual lawsuit. If they know their position would be a loser in court, they save their money and put out a press release, which (at least in the Cap Times) gets published most of the time. Then, NPR brings on an FFRF representative to debate a far right wing person about the topic, completely ignoring what is probably the constitutionally accurate position somewhere in the middle.

About 15 years ago or so, I know they proposed giving handicapped people in Madison absentee ballots so that polling places could be moved from handicap-accessible churches to other, non-accessible buildings.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines