MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 pm

kurt_w wrote:Think "Lucifer's Hammer" by Niven & Pournelle, or various b-grade stuff by Heinlein.

Maybe something much more accessible and ham-fisted: "Red Dawn."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 pm

That's pretty spot on. I would have also accepted "Walker, Texas Ranger". Whatever it is these people are delusional and well-armed which makes them dangerous.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:35 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

That's pretty spot on. I would have also accepted "Walker, Texas Ranger". Whatever it is these people are delusional and well-armed which makes them dangerous.

Define dangerous? I don't think they are about to raid the neighboring counties for supplies and women just yet (though I did notice the Citadel does not appear to designed for sustainability).

It would be risky for law enforcement to raid, but I'm not sure there is any reason to assume that would be necessary. Plenty of people in that region already live with this mindset and have little problem with the law. These guys just want to paint a target on themselves while doing so. The worst thing the government could do is pay them any extra mind.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Define dangerous?

I thought I did.
delusional and well-armed

Anyone stockpiling military grade weapons based on the idea that the "government", "communists", or the "UN" are going to come for them is delusional. As demonstrated by this guy in TN who thinks Obama is going to unilaterally take their guns and destroy the second amendment is clearly not in touch with reality. And telling his "students" to prep for civil war qualifies as dangerous all by itself.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:51 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Anyone stockpiling military grade weapons based on the idea that the "government", "communists", or the "UN" are going to come for them is delusional.

Add this to it:

Five: Every household within the Citadel will remain stocked with sufficient food, water, and other preparedness essentials (to be detailed elsewhere) to sustain the needs for every member of the household for a duration of one year.

Anyone who thinks they need food and other essentials for a whole year is delusional. Do you realize how much food that is for a family of 4? That's crazy shit. The settlers didn't even do that. They made sure to have enough food to last the winter at best.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:52 pm

To be fair, there was a period when Ms Kurt was keeping a year's supply of dark chocolate on hand, just in case.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 pm

kurt_w wrote:To be fair, there was a period when Ms Kurt was keeping a year's supply of dark chocolate on hand, just in case.

First they came for my Mars bar and I said nothing....
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:56 pm

kurt_w wrote:To be fair, there was a period when Ms Kurt was keeping a year's supply of dark chocolate on hand, just in case.

Well, once she learns how to use an AK47, she'll be that much closer on getting the citadel application approved.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

The other movie I'm reminded of multiple times per day by paranoid gunners (and extreme righties in general) is "Falling Down."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Anyone stockpiling military grade weapons based on the idea that the "government", "communists", or the "UN" are going to come for them is delusional. As demonstrated by this guy in TN who thinks Obama is going to unilaterally take their guns and destroy the second amendment is clearly not in touch with reality. And telling his "students" to prep for civil war qualifies as dangerous all by itself.

I fully agree on the delusional bit, I'm just not sure delusional by itself (armed or not) constitutes a danger. A bunch of nitwits hugging their guns and counting their rations in the middle of Idaho (or Tennessee) doesn't constitute a clear threat to me. If they are actually preparing to instigate an attack that's completely different discussion, but I haven't seen any allegations of that.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:19 pm

If there is any doubt that the NRA represents gun manufacturers rather than individuals who own guns, consider this:
Federal product-safety law subjects everything from toys to toasters to safety inspection and recalls, but exempts guns.

Little-known laws shed light on NRA influence
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:27 pm

If they are actually preparing to instigate an attack that's completely different discussion, but I haven't seen any allegations of that.

Sure you have. Wasn't there a militia in MI just a year or two ago who were planning to take out police and city officials? Delusional + weapons equals danger just like powder keg + matches = danger. It's only a matter of time with these people. Dman's probably holed up in his bunker right now waiting for Obama to increase background checks. one more. inch. and all....
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:44 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
If they are actually preparing to instigate an attack that's completely different discussion, but I haven't seen any allegations of that.

Sure you have. Wasn't there a militia in MI just a year or two ago who were planning to take out police and city officials? Delusional + weapons equals danger just like powder keg + matches = danger. It's only a matter of time with these people. Dman's probably holed up in his bunker right now waiting for Obama to increase background checks. one more. inch. and all....

Ah so we are generalizing, gotcha.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:51 pm

No you said you haven't seen any evidence that these people were preparing to instigate an attack and I gave you one recent example of one. There are more. Add to that the rhetoric on the airwaves and internet, while not as certain as what the FBI stopped in MI it's certainly qualifies as "instigating".
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

No you said you haven't seen any evidence that these people were preparing to instigate an attack and I gave you one recent example of one. There are more. Add to that the rhetoric on the airwaves and internet, while not as certain as what the FBI stopped in MI it's certainly qualifies as "instigating".

Ah, I missed where we went from discussing the Citadel to judging all heavily armed nut cases by the actions of a few. I'd still say you are generalize that being an over armed nutcase makes you dangerous. There is no evidence that the majority of gun owners have any intention of staging an armed revolt (no matter how many guns they have). If one were to apply your thinking here to race, rather than possession of firearms, would you be OK with that?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines