MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
DCB wrote:Another tragedy. If only he had a gun to defend himself.

A case of the chickens coming home to roost. If one lives by the sword...

Seems like, as in most of these cases, a mentally ill person shooting other people.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:36 pm

This spectacularly defective decision making seems to be contagious.

First we had Nancy Lanza filling her house with guns when her son had serious psychological issues. Now we have Chris Kyle, apparently with all good intentions, inviting people with combat-related PTSD over to play with guns. It's not that the gun owners are mentally ill -- it's that they share guns with people who are.

What are these people thinking of?

At the very least, it's no way to win non-gun-fans over.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm

snoqueen wrote:This spectacularly defective decision making seems to be contagious.

First we had Nancy Lanza filling her house with guns when her son had serious psychological issues. Now we have Chris Kyle, apparently with all good intentions, inviting people with combat-related PTSD over to play with guns. It's not that the gun owners are mentally ill -- it's that they share guns with people who are.

What are these people thinking of?

At the very least, it's no way to win non-gun-fans over.

People are dumb: they give teenagers booze, they sell pot to kids, they leave infants in hot cars. They should be prosecuted for their actions.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Frequently they are, under existing laws that cover all the situations you mentioned.

Conveniently, we don't need to worry about prosecuting Lanza and Kyle because they are dead. But actions like theirs are not covered under any laws I know of, and in Lanza's case there were obviously numerous fatalities due to her bizarre and highly questionable decision.
Last edited by snoqueen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm

snoqueen wrote:Conveniently, we don't need to worry about prosecuting Lanza and Kyle because they are dead.

Agreed.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:49 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

Seems like, as in most of these cases, a mentally ill person shooting other people.

Are you opposed to the budget sequestration that will continue to reduce the spending on mental health that the Republicans have demanded for years?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

That's one way to look at it.

Wayne La Poopyhead's thinks that carrying a gun is an effective defense against bad people with guns. If "American Sniper" can't defend himself at a shooting range, that argument looks pretty lame.

Perhaps a more effective defense would be limiting access to guns.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:33 pm

DCB wrote:Perhaps a more effective defense would be limiting access to guns.
Feel free to limit your own access. And libs love yard signs. Perhaps a "Proud to be a Gun-Free Household" version. Make sure it's lit up nice and bright at night!

I, on the other hand, will continue to enjoy my Constitutional right to defend myself by arming myself. That right is not affected by the current bleatings of Obama, Boxer or anyone else.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:37 pm

i'm curious who you think you're defending against. Are you running a big grow operation?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm

snoqueen wrote:i'm curious who you think you're defending against. Are you running a big grow operation?

Um. Our house has been broken into and we've had a car stolen. Funny, the cops weren't around waiting to help me.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Gun stats state by state, from the guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... e-us-state

Firearm murders rate per capita in order from 1st to 8th: DC, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Michigan, Missouri, Arkansas, Georgia.

Firearms assault rate per capita, 1st thru 10th: Tennessee, South Carolina, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Michigan, DC, Alaska, Kansas.

No surprise, but it throws off the "liberal states have the highest gun death rates" from the NRA trained thinkers.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
snoqueen wrote:i'm curious who you think you're defending against. Are you running a big grow operation?

Um. Our house has been broken into and we've had a car stolen. Funny, the cops weren't around waiting to help me.

Funny, your gun wasn't much help either, was it?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:21 am

Having your car and your stuff stolen is a setback and an annoyance, but not a situation calling for the taking of someone else's life. I still think you're running a grow operation.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:57 pm

snoqueen wrote:Having your car and your stuff stolen is a setback and an annoyance, but not a situation calling for the taking of someone else's life. I still think you're running a grow operation.

I think Sno's nailed this one. One break-in and a stolen car. Obviously a grow house here. The break-in is probably the work of the notorious Choom Gang. It's been tough for them to find some tasty bud ever since Ray the Dealer was killed from repeated blows to his head with a ball-peen hammer. And the Choomwagon needed to be replaced. That salty seaside air is as tough on a vehicle as Minnesota road salt. Case closed. Book 'em Dano. N-e-x-t.
Oops, I almost forgot. Frog march Flanders straight to the nearest hoosegow.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 am

Holy cow, Doppel. You're really gettin' the hang of this.

Just one question, if liberals are assholes for being snarky, what are conservatives? 'Cause that was some pro snark. Misdirected, as usual, given that Sno was clearly offering up snark of her own, but if she had been serious you would have nailed it.

Do all Republicans suffer from Ass-Burgers?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines