MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
wack wack wrote:You are quickly shedding any shred of cred you might have had here, Dman. You're making a joke of yourself.

I know you are but what am I

Ooooh snap! Wack Wack got burned.

No kidding... searching for aloe now!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 am

pjbogart wrote:Yawn. Yeah right, like they're going to prohibit drug-addled, obese drunks from voting.

Rush Limbaugh is going to bat for me, dangerouscunt. Who's in your corner?

Wade Page, Adam Lanza, Jared Loughner, Jake Holmes, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold....
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

This is why they're called gun nuts:

But Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) isn't taking any chances. On Friday, the first-term conservative is planning on filing an amendment to the Senate budget resolution making it impossible for any gun control legislation to pass the Senate without a two-thirds majority—a standard currently reserved for the ratification of treaties.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/03 ... y-gun-laws

I mean, for fuck sake, what is wrong with these people.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:25 pm

wack wack wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
wack wack wrote:You are quickly shedding any shred of cred you might have had here, Dman. You're making a joke of yourself.

Oh, so you believe I'm becoming more like you?

Your inability to answer the question I asked makes clear: you're in a class of your own.

It says "shall not be infringed." Therefore, any "fettering" ought to be minimal. Happy now?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:27 pm

pjbogart wrote:Yawn. Yeah right, like they're going to prohibit drug-addled, obese drunks from voting.

Rush Limbaugh is going to bat for me, dangerouscunt. Who's in your corner?

You can keep Limbaugh in your corner. So far the Supreme Court is in mine.

You're such a class act-- I hope that didn't come across with too much sarcasm.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BSH » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:48 pm

wack wack wrote:Hmmm, what's that Latin phrase I'm thinking of... "Reductio ad absurdum," is that it? Yeah, that's it. Reductio ad absurdum.

Can you explain what the reductio ad absurdum is? Does the bill proposed not contain provisions with the effects described? I haven't read the bill myself, but I understood that it does indeed define "transfer" quite broadly, with the ONLY limitation on that broad holding to allow ownership transfers to immediate family members. Again, I haven't read it myself, but if you call BS, can you support your contradiction?
BSH

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:23 pm

BSH wrote:Does the bill proposed not contain provisions with the effects described?

As far as I have researched, I haven't found any text of the bill, but I did find this:

The bill would exempt guns that are temporarily loaned for hunting and target shooting, given to adult family members as gifts, inherited from family members or sold to licensed dealers.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Prop ... z2OVCn96nN

So if this is true, then Dman is as paranoid as usual.*

*edited to note I found this same statement in numerous articles. Dman, care to way in on your misleading statements. I would think you of all people would be up on this stuff.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 pm

The Washington Post has a survey that counts up who dies as a result of the use of guns, broken down by state and by race (black or white anyway). There's a big difference. The main graphs are here (I can't img them because they're interactive):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... un-deaths/

and the discussion is here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/featur ... n-america/

Whites are far more likely to die by gun suicide, blacks by gun homicide.

Without editorializing too much, I have to say I wonder if this "protect my family" thing among whites ought to be amended to "protect my family members from themselves." The numbers show a tremendous number of family tragedies in that category. Interestingly, the state with the highest rate is Wyoming.

At the same time, although black gun homicides (non-suicides) are absolutely staggering, far fewer blacks than whites have a gun in the home. It's like we have two countries in that regard as we do in so many others.

I believe only by gathering data like this, just as we do for car wrecks, car safety, and drunk-driving, can we become aware of the magnitude of this problem and see various patterns that can lead to effective interventions, deterrents, and risk-management.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:02 pm

snoqueen wrote:I believe only by gathering data like this, just as we do for car wrecks, car safety, and drunk-driving, can we become aware of the magnitude of this problem and see various patterns that can lead to effective interventions, deterrents, and risk-management.

But Sno, this is against our constitutional right to own guns. The only answer is putting more guns in the hands of people like teachers and janitors. We don't need background checks or surveys or studies, we need more guns.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:10 pm

The NRA has made it very difficult to collect accurate statistics. They even got Congress to forbid the CDC from accumulating data on gun violence.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
It says "shall not be infringed." Therefore, any "fettering" ought to be minimal. Happy now?

Getting a background check seems pretty minimal to me. Once upon a time even the NRA thought that was a good idea.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 am

Stebben84 wrote:
BSH wrote:Does the bill proposed not contain provisions with the effects described?

As far as I have researched, I haven't found any text of the bill, but I did find this:

The bill would exempt guns that are temporarily loaned for hunting and target shooting, given to adult family members as gifts, inherited from family members or sold to licensed dealers.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Prop ... z2OVCn96nN

So if this is true, then Dman is as paranoid as usual.*

*edited to note I found this same statement in numerous articles. Dman, care to way in on your misleading statements. I would think you of all people would be up on this stuff.

Why don't you take a look again? I made comments about proposed federal legislation, and you respond with an article about a rumored and yet-to-be-seen state bill.

Oh, and I'm not the one is afraid of ordinary law-abiding people, so if you want to talk paranoia bring it on.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 am

DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

Getting a background check seems pretty minimal to me. Once upon a time even the NRA thought that was a good idea.

Showing ID when you vote is even more minimal. Do you support that?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:16 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The NRA has made it very difficult to collect accurate statistics. They even got Congress to forbid the CDC from accumulating data on gun violence.

What statistics would that be? The CDC clearly had a political agenda. The Justice Department doesn't seem to have any problem collecting accurate statistics.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 am

Voting never killed anyone.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines