MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Friday, January 30, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 14.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:23 am

BSH wrote: I posted a policy fact - that police have no legal obligation to defend the lives and safety of the people...

Could you quote that supposed "policy fact" as I didn't see it in the report you cited?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 am

Augustus Busch IV, a former staunch supporter of the NRA, quits the group because of its recent movement away from supporting its members, towards unblinking support for gun manufacturers.

I am simply unable to comprehend how assault weapons and large capacity magazines have a role in your vision. The NRA I see today has undermined the values upon which it was established. Your current strategic focus places a priority on the needs of gun and ammunition manufacturers while disregarding the opinions of your 4 million individual members.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:07 am

Stebben84 wrote:So are you suggesting we arm up with high capacity weapons as a defense against the police?

I won't speak for the original author, but I think it is a good idea to have a weapon in the home for when the police say "We ain't gonna be there, so you're on your own"

Henry Vilas wrote:Could you quote that supposed "policy fact" as I didn't see it in the report you cited?

Warren v District of Columbia (1981) established that the police do not have a legal requirement to provide protection to anyone, unless a "special relationship" already existed.
Last edited by penquin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:14 am

I guess that means the Boston area police had a special relationship with the local residents.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I guess that means the Boston area police had a special relationship with the local residents.

Whatever leads you to "guess" that? Are there lawsuits pending against the Boston PD for failing to protect those who were hurt/killed in the bombing attacks?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:34 am

Despite the case you cited from 1981 (which does not set precedent throughout the U.S.), do you really believe that the police won't respond to violent crimes?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Despite the case you cited from 1981 (which does not set precedent throughout the U.S.), do you really believe that the police won't respond to violent crimes?

To each & every violent crime? No, I don't beleive they will always be there when needed. Do you?

And do you really beleive that the police have a legal obligation to protect you and yours? If so, can you please cite something (other than your personal "guess") that leads you to think as such? Has there been a successful lawsuit against a police department for not protecting a citizen from a violent crime?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 am

Henry Vilas wrote:"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 am

penquin wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Despite the case you cited from 1981 (which does not set precedent throughout the U.S.), do you really believe that the police won't respond to violent crimes?

To each & every violent crime? No, I don't beleive they will always be there when needed. Do you?

And do you really beleive that the police have a legal obligation to protect you and yours?

Again, the court case you cited only applies to the District of Columbia. Paranoids keep AK-47s because they think they need to repel the bad guys.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:13 am

BSH wrote:There's no basis for agreeing on what is "sensible" or "reasonable."

80-90 % of Americans support background checks on guns sales. That's probably a pretty good definition of reasonable.

BSH wrote:You think a ban on scary-looking rifles is sensible.

Please refrain from distorting or misrepresenting my views. It makes you appear even more of a dick.
When you said
BSH wrote:I think a ban on weapons used in 1% (or less) of homicides is absurd and unjustifiable.

did you really mean
a straw man representation of BSH wrote:I am emotionally indifferent to the mass slaughter in Newtown.

?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:15 am

BSH wrote:DCB - yes, that NIJ report, but also the one that they did studying the effects of the 1994 ban, where they found no measurable effect.

citation, please.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Again, the court case you cited only applies to the District of Columbia.

And again, I ask: Has there been any successful lawsuits against a police department for not protecting a citizen from a violent crime?

DCB wrote:80-90 % of Americans support background checks on guns sales.

I think a lot of folks support background checks in general, but are unaware of what can lead to someone being put on The List.

For instance, Henry is a strong supporter of gun control but I don't think he knows that is it illegal for him personally to purchase/possess a firearm.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 am

penquin wrote:For instance, Henry is a strong supporter of gun control but I don't think he knows that is it illegal for him personally to purchase/possess a firearm.

For instance, you don't know shit. I was a member of the Junior NRA when I was in high school. I've owned a firearm for over 50 years.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am

Henry Vilas wrote:For instance, you don't know shit.

I may not know as much about fecal matter as you do, but I do know that it is "illegal for someone to possess a gun if he or she is 'an unlawful user of, or addicted to' marijuana or other controlled substances."

link

I've owned a firearm for over 50 years.

Did you use any illegal substances in those past 50 years? Do you still?

If so, I ain't saying that makes you a bad person....but it does mean that it was/is illegal for you to have a firearm.

Which one are you gonna give up...the pipe or the gun? Or neither?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:37 am

penquin wrote:but are unaware of what can lead to someone being put on The List.

What the fuck is The List.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines