MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
wack wack wrote:Can you cook dinner with your assault weapon?

Sure, if it's in a holster on your side which I guarantee Dman is doing. I wonder if he made a little apron for his guns. Wouldn't want to get 'em dirty while he's whipping up din din.

Ha! Guess I phrased that wrong.

Is it possible to use an assault weapon to cook dinner?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:42 pm

wack wack wrote:Is it possible to use an assault weapon to cook dinner?

Wouldn't be the most efficient way to do it, but you can obtain something to put in the pressure cooker with it.

Can your pressure cooker protect you, your family and your business or house from a looting and violent mob?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Can your pressure cooker protect you, your family and your business or house from a looting and violent mob?

Zombie attack? A pressure cooker bomb would have to be raised to eye level, since only head shots can take down a zombie.

Now explain why a congressional act, that prevents gun manufacturers being held liable for producing a faulty product, is a good thing.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Now explain why a congressional act, that prevents gun manufacturers being held liable for producing a faulty product, is a good thing.

Because of the 2nd amendment. 'nuff said, no more need to debate or argue.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Can your pressure cooker protect you, your family and your business or house from a looting and violent mob?

Probably not. A firearm is much more effective as a defensive weapon, right?

By the same token, it is also much more effective as an offensive weapon against innocent victims. That's why firearms should be more heavily regulated than pressure cookers.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BSH » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:No, it means the case cited above applies to the District of Columbia (it was decided by their appellate court, which is similar to a state's supreme court). It is only precedent in Washington, D.C. and no place else.

And every single other district that has had similar cases, which is a bunch. I don't know for sure if it's the entire country, but I'm not so foolish to think it applies only in DC.
BSH

Postby BSH » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Now explain why a congressional act, that prevents gun manufacturers being held liable for producing a faulty product, is a good thing.

Did you misspeak? There is no such law. There is a liability shield that prevents manufacturers from being sued when there is no product defect, but that's not the same thing.
BSH

Postby BSH » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:24 pm

DCB wrote:No, I support the AW ban. But not because they "look scary", as you put it. Because they make it easy for crazy and violent people to commit mass murder. Something that most reasonable people find abhorrent.

Not a real concern. There hasn't been a single mass shooting anywhere in America, that I know of, where a shooter has been armed solely with a rifle. IOW, there is no rational basis to believe that a rifle ban would have any effect on mass (or any other) shootings. On the other hand, plenty of mass shootings have happened without any rifles. Your reasoning does not seem sound.
BSH

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:24 pm

BSH wrote:

Did you misspeak? There is no such law. There is a liability shield that prevents manufacturers from being sued when there is no product defect, but that's not the same thing.

Others disagree.

...the bill effectively exempts gun manufacturers from liability.

60 Minutes did a segment on that a few years ago. Even defective firearms, that misfired without the trigger being pulled, were exempt from liability law suits.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:11 pm

BSH wrote:There hasn't been a single mass shooting anywhere in America, that I know of,

Did you just write that?

Oh, I see:
BSH wrote:[There hasn't been a single mass shooting anywhere in America, that I know of, where a shooter has been armed solely with a rifle.

So, because Adam Lanza killed himself with the Glock, we shouldn't get all upset over the 27 people he killed with the rifle?
Your disingenuousness knows no bound.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:39 pm

The Tennessee Firearms Association is raffling off one AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, the same weapon used by Adam Lanza to kill 20 children and six adults in Newtown.

Keeping it classy Tennessee.

Keeping it classy...
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
the same weapon used by Adam Lanza to kill 20 children and six adults in Newtown.

It's also the same weapon used by our armed forces to defend themselves, liberate the oppressed, and protect Stebben's freedoms.

Keeping it classy, ThinkProgress.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:42 pm

So the point is to put it in the hands of people who will fight the "armed forces" as you put it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:56 pm

In your paranoid mind - yes.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:19 pm

But in normal minds, the point is to have it in the hands of people who will defend themselves, their families, and neighbors.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines