MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:08 pm

jman111 wrote:A young girl in the truck later determined to be Alt’s daughter had been in the pickup all along.

Horrible eh? What kind of person would bring an infant along while committing a crime against an elderly man?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
jman111 wrote:A young girl in the truck later determined to be Alt’s daughter had been in the pickup all along.

Horrible eh? What kind of person would bring an infant along while committing a crime against an elderly man?

Not that Alt isn't a complete jackass for trying to rob a house with his kid in the truck, but Paulson wasn't exactly following good firearms safety practices by firing a rifle into the air over their heads either. Its even stupider when you consider he didn't know if they were armed, and he had his two grand kids with him which I presume he did know about.

Also, why is Paulson driving around with a high powered assault style weapon (and ammo for said) in his trunk?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Horrible eh?

Gotta love selective outrage.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Also, why is Paulson driving around with a high powered assault style weapon (and ammo for said) in his trunk?

Because he can.

Does he need some other reason?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:11 pm

jman111 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Horrible eh?

Gotta love selective outrage.

As opposed to what? What do you recommend? General outrage? Hell yeah my outrage is selective because some things are outrageous. Taking your child on a crime spree is one of those things.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Dangerousman wrote: Taking your child on a crime spree is one of those things.
And popping off 5 or 6 uncontrolled rounds from an assault rifle is not, apparently.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:25 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

Not that Alt isn't a complete jackass for trying to rob a house with his kid in the truck, but Paulson wasn't exactly following good firearms safety practices by firing a rifle into the air over their heads either. Its even stupider when you consider he didn't know if they were armed, and he had his two grand kids with him which I presume he did know about.

Warning shots aren't usually recommended, but they aren't entirely without merit. One has to weigh the pros and cons. The major drawback is that it leaves you with less ammo. You can't say he wasn't practicing "good firearms safety." He could have knowingly been firing in a safe direction. He lives in a sparsely populated rural area. Why was he driving around with an AK-47? Ever hear of MYOB? It's his business, not yours.

Didn't know if they were armed? Two guys in their twenties against a single old man in his 80's? That's as good as armed because normally that's considered a significant disparity in force.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm

jman111 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: Taking your child on a crime spree is one of those things.
And popping off 5 or 6 uncontrolled rounds from an assault rifle is not, apparently.

And your evidence that they were "uncontrolled?" Nothing.

Speaking of "selective" outrage, you just have to love when your outrage is directed more at an elderly man who successfully warded off two criminals than it is directed at the criminals. Do you realize how silly that makes you appear?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Reminds me of a line from a Longfellow poem:
I shot an Arrow into the air, It fell to earth I know not where.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Why was he driving around with an AK-47? Ever hear of MYOB? It's his business, not yours.

Yeah, I don't actually care if he does or not, just seems like an odd weapon to carry around in your trunk for hunting or self defense purposes.

Dangerousman wrote:Didn't know if they were armed? Two guys in their twenties against a single old man in his 80's? That's as good as armed because normally that's considered a significant disparity in force.

Two young guys jumping out of their trunk and running up and punching him aren't likely to randomly miss and hit his grand kids. Two guys shooting back out of a moving truck might.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Dangerousman wrote:And your evidence that they were "uncontrolled?"

Straight from the NRA gun safety rules site:
Know your target and what is beyond.
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

The man admitted to firing 5 or 6 shots from an assault rifle several feet above a truck that, unbeknownst to him, contained a young girl.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with "uncontrolled".
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Yeah, I don't actually care if he does or not, just seems like an odd weapon to carry around in your trunk for hunting or self defense purposes.

Two young guys jumping out of their trunk and running up and punching him aren't likely to randomly miss and hit his grand kids. Two guys shooting back out of a moving truck might.

What's odd about perhaps the most ubiquitous firearm in the world? A long gun for defense is very much a good idea in a rural area. An AK-47 is reliable, inexpensive, simple to use, adequately accurate and ammo is plentiful and comparatively cheap. Sounds like a reasonable and common choice to me.

Two young guys jumping of of their truck-- I think you meant truck, not trunk-- and running up to a guy with an AK-47 doesn't seem very likely. How are they going to shoot back? What guns did they have?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:07 pm

jman111 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:And your evidence that they were "uncontrolled?"

Straight from the NRA gun safety rules site:
Know your target and what is beyond.
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

The man admitted to firing 5 or 6 shots from an assault rifle several feet above a truck that, unbeknownst to him, contained a young girl.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with "uncontrolled".

And what makes you think he wasn't sure of his target? His target was the area above them and beyond, which in that hilly rural area was undoubtedly the side of the hill.

The Town of Lindina, where he lives, is half the size of the City of Madison, with a total population of 730 people. Not exactly densely populated. You can check his address and get an aerial view of it and see he lives way off the road, in a valley, isolated, surrounded by woods and fields, no nearby neighbors. If your biggest gripe is that he fired his gun in that location, you really are grasping at straws.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Dangerousman wrote:What's odd about perhaps the most ubiquitous firearm in the world? A long gun for defense is very much a good idea in a rural area. An AK-47 is reliable, inexpensive, simple to use, adequately accurate and ammo is plentiful and comparatively cheap. Sounds like a reasonable and common choice to me.

Fair points. It's ability to take abuse is nice too, but having to run to the back of your car, pull it the long rifle and load it seems to reduce it's reliability for defensive purposes somewhat. One might presume that Paulson did not have a concealed carry permit (or at least doesn't own a hand gun).

Dangerousman wrote:Two young guys jumping of of their truck-- I think you meant truck, not trunk-- and running up to a guy with an AK-47 doesn't seem very likely. How are they going to shoot back? What guns did they have?

So, Paulson knew that two guys in a truck were unarmed and didn't have a weapon in the vehicle, but George Zimmerman was unable to tell that a young man on foot was unarmed. And don't try claiming it was because it was dark when Zimmerman shot Martin, Paulson has already stated he could not see into the cab of the truck.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:What's odd about perhaps the most ubiquitous firearm in the world? A long gun for defense is very much a good idea in a rural area. An AK-47 is reliable, inexpensive, simple to use, adequately accurate and ammo is plentiful and comparatively cheap. Sounds like a reasonable and common choice to me.

Fair points. It's ability to take abuse is nice too, but having to run to the back of your car, pull it the long rifle and load it seems to reduce it's reliability for defensive purposes somewhat. One might presume that Paulson did not have a concealed carry permit (or at least doesn't own a hand gun).

Dangerousman wrote:Two young guys jumping of of their truck-- I think you meant truck, not trunk-- and running up to a guy with an AK-47 doesn't seem very likely. How are they going to shoot back? What guns did they have?

So, Paulson knew that two guys in a truck were unarmed and didn't have a weapon in the vehicle, but George Zimmerman was unable to tell that a young man on foot was unarmed?. And don't try claiming it was because it was dark when Zimmerman shot Martin, Paulson has already stated he could not see into the cab of the truck.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines