MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby DCB » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:32 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/police-boy-7-shot-death-pa-gun-store-200049283.html
MERCER, Pa. (AP) — A man's handgun went off while he was holding it as he got into his truck in the parking lot of a western Pennsylvania gun store Saturday, and the shot killed his 7-year-old son, authorities said...

If only the son had been armed, so he could defend himself.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:18 pm

From your link...
You think the bad guys are going to make an appointment? Knock three times? Wait while you prepare for them? Allow you to secure your kids before you get your gun? I wouldn’t bet my life on it. And neither should you.

There are plenty of “common sense” objections to home carry. It’s unsafe for the kids (definitely not true if you keep your gun on you at all times). I’ll look like a nutcase (who’s coming to dinner?). Etc. And there’s one common sense reason to man (or woman) up and carry a gun in your home: if you need it, there it is
Exactly. For every gun that saves a life, there are what: 30 incidents (whatever it is) where a gun ends one. Somehow I think this suggests that there are too many guns.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Is this the price of (gun) freedom? Many young child among the victims. 27 dead according to the latest report.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Is this the price of (gun) freedom? Many young child among the victims. 27 dead according to the latest report.

No, it's the price of gun control laws and policies that create unsecured "gun free zones" virtually guaranteeing nobody will be present who might be able to mount a effective defense. Do you think it's a coincidence that this is the typical location for this sort of crime? I'd appreciate a reply to that question.

Thank you Herb Kohl, nobody's senator but his own.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Should the teachers have packing? Maybe the children too.

Gun free zones have nothing to do with this.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:10 pm

It's time for a Constitutional amendment to seriously curtail Second Amendment "freedoms."

Your last response was as stupid as anything ever said about guns, Dangerousman. Dangerously stupid.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Dangerousman wrote:No, it's the price of gun control laws and policies that create unsecured "gun free zones" virtually guaranteeing nobody will be present who might be able to mount a effective defense.

Wow. I hope your aim is better than your sense of timing.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Most schools are gun free zones. And since it's a deeply "blue" state, I'm sure Connecticut has fairly strict gun laws. Clearly, these measure aren't effective.

Unfortunately, Dangerousman is right. Trained, armed teachers and/or security guards could possibly have stopped this monster in his tracks. It would have been the only hope for these chidren.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:24 pm

In case there was any doubt that a vocal gun advocate who chooses the pseudonym "Dangerousman" is both an idiot and an asshole, that last post pretty much seals the deal.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Gun free zones have nothing to do with this.

Really? You can keep repeating that to yourself if you want.

So it's a coincidence that the majority of locations of mass shootings just happen to be in "no guns allowed" areas? That's quite a coincidence! And it really shows the "effectiveness" of those laws.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:In case there was any doubt that a vocal gun advocate who chooses the pseudonym "Dangerousman" is both an idiot and an asshole, that last post pretty much seals the deal.

As the body counts rise, the NRA and their defenders cling ever more desperately to their craziness:
“The one thing missing in that equation is that woman owning a gun so she could have saved her life from that murderer,” LaPierre told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday [...]

And this is just superfluous, but in fact Kassandra Perkins was a gun enthusiast herself.
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/ ... -home.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Dangerousman wrote:No, it's the price of gun control laws and policies that create unsecured "gun free zones" virtually guaranteeing nobody will be present who might be able to mount a effective defense. Do you think it's a coincidence that this is the typical location for this sort of crime? I'd appreciate a reply to that question.

Take a look at where most rapes happen, and then tell me if the answer is outlawing vaginas, underpants, or the right to withhold consent.

(The answer, you pig, is that you outlaw the offender, not the victim.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:45 pm

While I am definitely not an ultra gun-ho type of person, I do appreciate that they are an effective tool for hunting, self-defense, and a means for keeping power in the hands of "the people". As with any tool, it can and will be abused. While this most recent incident, as well as the others we have been hearing about, truly sickens and disgusts me, I honestly believe the problem is not about guns. From my perspective, the problem is about mentally unstable people that society has produced who are desperate, isolated, unhappy, selfish, and angry. As long as we breed a culture of selfishness, greed, hate and division, and as long as the ideological rhetoric continues hum at an ever higher fever pitch, we will see more of this. And it is not the fault of gun availability. This problem will not be solved by tougher gun laws (or any laws for that matter), but by a change in culture and compassion. While guns often receive the blame because they could be easily regulated and are the tool used in this destruction, you cannot easily regulate desperate, unhappy, selfish, and angry people without crossing some ethical lines. We should not advocate the removal of a valuable tool from society, but we should advocate for the proper use of that tool. In my opinion this happens on an individual level, and not from top-down laws. By establishing genuine connections with our neighbors, friends, and families, reaching out to those in need, and making this world less desperate for those who are less fortunate, we can begin to mitigate the problem. Whether you like guns or not, you have to admit that gun legislation won't address the "crazy" that is at the root of the problem, nor will it prevent violent people from being violent and murderous on a large scale.
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:In case there was any doubt that a vocal gun advocate who chooses the pseudonym "Dangerousman" is both an idiot and an asshole, that last post pretty much seals the deal.

Oh, I'm so burned. No, and idiot and an asshole is someone who thinks it's morally superior to prevent people from being able to protect themselves and other innocent people. If that's what you want for yourself, fine. I don't advocate guns, I advocate the freedom to choose to have one. If you choose to remain unarmed, I'm perfectly fine with it and respect your decision. Too bad you're unable to return a similar level of respect for the choices others make.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:48 pm

We can regulate semi-automatic killing machines, and hundred round magazines. We can close the tank sized loopholes in our gun buying laws at gun shows, and we can start treating them with the respect they deserve rather than as our hobby and as part of our hero fantasies. Maybe the answer is to install turrets and snipers at all public buildings. We could hire them out from Blackwater and take the money out of teacher salaries.

I don't advocate guns, I advocate the freedom to choose to have one. If you choose to remain unarmed, I'm perfectly fine with it and respect your decision. Too bad you're unable to return a similar level of respect for the choices others make.

I respect your right to own guns and to protect yourself. You just don't need an AR-15 you bought at a gun show to do it. This is common sense shit but thanks to psychopaths like you we can;t even have the common sense discussions.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines