MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, October 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

We're #6 for world pollution

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

We're #6 for world pollution

Postby Shorty » Tue May 15, 2012 9:27 pm

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Report- ... index.html
Report: Earth 'going downhill' as consumption rises
Survey shows world consuming far more than Earth can replenish

"The report includes a list of the world's top 10 polluting countries topped by Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates in the Middle East. They're followed by Denmark, Belgium and the United States. Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Ireland make up the remainder. Countries are ranked on their consumption of renewable resources versus their biocapacity, or ability to produce renewable resources and absorb CO2 emissions. Dominating the list are high-income countries, whose average ecological footprint is now five times that of low-income nations."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: We're #6 for world pollution

Postby bdog » Wed May 16, 2012 6:15 am

This is why we need a super-plague, real wrath of god type stuff.

Who's in?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu May 17, 2012 8:18 pm

How about flesh eating bacteria?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mom ... 17677.html

"A new mom in South Carolina is the second person in recent weeks to contract a rare disease known as flesh-eating bacteria.... The bacteria comes from a type of streptococcus, which also causes strep throat. In the infrequent cases when the bacteria makes its way to the blood, muscle, or lungs, it can be life-threatening, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Or we could just protect the environment better.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Drug resistant bacteria is becoming a real problem as I understand it. Part of the problem is that we feel the need to buy anti-bacterial everything, essentially killing all the weak bacteria and providing them a Darwinian method of taking over the world.

When I was a kid we looked for bacteria, just to improve our immune systems. We'd clean the toilet with a couple of pieces of bread and then make a sandwich out of it when we were done. We only ate at restaurants where the cooks had full beards and sores on their faces. No teething rings in my family... we sucked on raw bacon for the extra protein. I could probably screw a Tijuanan prostitute and heal her with all the anti-bodies I have floating around in my system.

I haven't missed a day of work in ten years and I credit it to not being such a fucking pussy.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Mon May 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Can we agree that "Flesh Eating Bacteria" would NOT be a good name for a rock and roll band? :|
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines