MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Shooting outside church key/segredo

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Shooting outside church key/segredo

Postby Detritus » Sat May 26, 2012 9:19 pm

bdog wrote:
Detritus wrote:I would just like to point out, for possibly the eleventy-first time, that the shooting occurred OUTSIDE the bar, as all the past violence has. Checking IDs at the door is irrelevant to this particular problem.

Not necessarily. If the thug crowd was OUTSIDE the bar because they were INSIDE prior, then it's not irrelevant.
Just sayin.

And if they drove downtown, then they would have been able to get into the bar with a valid drivers license. Shall we continue with the counterfactuals, or stick with what we actually know?

Just sayin'.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 27, 2012 4:21 am

Detritus wrote:
bdog wrote:
Detritus wrote:I would just like to point out, for possibly the eleventy-first time, that the shooting occurred OUTSIDE the bar, as all the past violence has. Checking IDs at the door is irrelevant to this particular problem.

Not necessarily. If the thug crowd was OUTSIDE the bar because they were INSIDE prior, then it's not irrelevant.
Just sayin.

And if they drove downtown, then they would have been able to get into the bar with a valid drivers license. Shall we continue with the counterfactuals, or stick with what we actually know?

Just sayin'.

What we actually know is that when the bars were checking for DLs, the problems went way down. Do you dispute this?

It is arguable as to whether the license check would have prevented this particular incident.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 am

bdog wrote:What we actually know is that when the bars were checking for DLs, the problems went way down. Do you dispute this?

It is arguable as to whether the license check would have prevented this particular incident.

Yes, I do dispute 1) that the problems went way down (source please) and, 2) if they did go way down, that it had anything to do with the DL checking.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun May 27, 2012 1:27 pm

The bar owners themselves said the problems went down significantly with the policy.

Who would know better than the bar owners?

Link

My policy would only allow people with valid driver's licenses and people with disabilities to enter my establishment.

In fact, blind people get their first drink free.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Remember_Me wrote:My policy would only allow people with valid driver's licenses and people with disabilities to enter my establishment.

But that's not how the ordinance wasn't written. You then have people who had their DL revoked for a variety of reasons.

Is there another city that does this? Just askin'.

That article does show some mixed reaction as well.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:My policy would only allow people with valid driver's licenses and people with disabilities to enter my establishment.

But that's not how the ordinance wasn't written. You then have people who had their DL revoked for a variety of reasons.

Do people ever get their DL revoked for a good reason?

Maybe if they've had their DL revoked they shouldn't be drinking anyway.

They can use the money they save to pay off their fines and tickets.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon May 28, 2012 3:16 pm

What kind of documentation of disability do you plan to require? Obviously it is possible to feign blindness or other disabling conditions so you would need another bureaucracy to validate the disability.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 28, 2012 7:25 pm

I'll ask the dog.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon May 28, 2012 7:28 pm

I have no idea.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 am

bdog wrote:I have no idea.

Tru dat
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue May 29, 2012 10:25 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but the last 2 murders downtown related to alcohol/bars where perpetrated by white guys who had their manhoods insulted (stabbing outside The Plaza and the sucker punch at State and Gorham). Just sayin'.....
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed May 30, 2012 12:10 am

david cohen wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but the last 2 murders downtown related to alcohol/bars where perpetrated by white guys who had their manhoods insulted (stabbing outside The Plaza and the sucker punch at State and Gorham). Just sayin'.....

The stabbing outside the Plaza was reportedly related to a disagreement over the jukebox music. Not sure I'd call that having one's manhood insulted. I don't know, I don't remember show tunes or Kenny G on the Plaza jukebox, but I could be wrong.

The perpetrator, Justin Stout, is indeed white.

The "sucker punch" incident started over a patron at a bar wanting to take his beer outside. Not sure I'd call that having one's manhood insulted unless it involved a "lite beer," Olympia, Coors or some other from the long list of weak horse piss beers.

The perpetrator, Roynell Fuller, is black.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines