MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 11.0° F  Light Snow Blowing Snow and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

With Friends Like This, Who Needs Enemies?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

With Friends Like This, Who Needs Enemies?

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 pm

So as you've probably all heard, Pakistan has sentenced the doctor who was instrumental in killing Osama bin Laden to 33 years in prison. Earlier this week, the DOD rejected demands from Pakistan to pay $5000 for each NATO truck that transports supplies to troops in Afghanistan through Pakistan.

This is a pretty serious international situation, and I'm sure the eyes of the world, particularly India, are watching closely. Pakistan's cooperation with the US seems tenuous, to say the least. Will Obama flex his muscles and dictate terms to Pakistan? He's certainly shown no disinclination to act unilaterally in the past (drone raids, OBL assassination).

Perhaps birth certificates, etch-a-sketches and dog carriers can take a back seat to this one. It's time to separate the Commanders-in-chief from the silver spoons and Republicans will have a tough time turning success into failure on this one, but they'll have a field day if Obama flinches.

Release the Hil-monster!

Pak doctor’s prosecution ‘unjust and unwarranted’: Hillary
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: With Friends Like This, Who Needs Enemies?

Postby pjbogart » Fri May 25, 2012 8:46 am

Apparently Congress is moving pretty swiftly on this one, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "heavy handed." A Senate panel moved to reduce Pakistan's aid package by $33 million, or $1 million for every year the doctor is incarcerated.

U.S. cuts Pakistan aid after 'bin Laden doctor' jailed

The bill would provide just under $1 billion in aid to Pakistan, including $184 million for State Department operations and $800 million for foreign assistance. Counterinsurgency money for Pakistan would be limited to $50 million.

That sounds suspiciously like just over $1 billion in aid, though I admit I attended a public school.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines