MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Fire at Simeon Mills house on Sommers

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Fire at Simeon Mills house on Sommers

Postby Like_Stink » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:31 pm

So, there was a fire last Wednesday night at the old Simeon Mills house on Sommers. The fire trucks woke me up and I looked out the window a bit, but it didn’t seem like a huge deal. The next morning, the outside of the house showed no damage. Only Friday did I find that someone had died.

All I said was “hope it’s not Lee.” And it was. He was really the only guy there that I knew at all, but only from catching the bus to work….short conversations. He liked my two big menacing dogs (not everyone does). Nice guy.

So now, since there’s no obituary anywhere…or anything….does anyone know anything about him? Lee Anthony Hogenson, 36, I think from Oklahoma, a leftie, worked at UW Public Health Dept………

Just seems like there should be more about him.
Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Re: Fire at Simeon Mills house on Sommers

Postby JKP75 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi there, just happened to see this searching for more info on Lee also.. Yes, Lee was from Oklahoma my husband and I were great friends with him in High School. His family is having a viewing at Informed Choice Funeral home in Madison at 3pm Thursday. Your judgement of Lee is exactly who he was.. a "Nice Guy". His family will be having another memorial service for him in Tulsa, OK the following weekend. Lee was loved by many and we all are just devastated by his passing. He easily made friends with everyone he was surrounded by.. and was truly your friend thru thick and thin.
GOD BLESS : ) from OKLAHOMA : )
JKP75

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:05 pm

It does.

But for you to remember him as a friendly lefty who was nice to your dogs is humanizing and dignified.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:09 pm

snoqueen wrote:It does.

But for you to remember him as a friendly lefty who was nice to your dogs is humanizing and dignified.

Well, provided he was just a lefty and not a full blown "leftist".
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 pm

May his memory be for a blessing.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 am

Lee Hogenson
@LeeHogenson
Madison, WI
Passionate Progressive. Outdoor enthusiast. Ardent Woody Guthrie fan. Rebel with many causes.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Foxymoxy77 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:22 am

There has been a change of venue for Lee's viewing in WI. It is now at Cress Funeral Home 1310 Emerald Terrace, Sun Prairie, WI, Thursday June 28th 3:00-4:30.

Like_Stink: Have you heard what caused the fire in Lee's apartment? Thanks!
Foxymoxy77

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:58 am

RIP to Lee. Sounds like my neighborhood lost a good guy.

On an aside... Hey Like_Stink, were you recently at a pool party?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FiXED » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am

Foxymoxy77 wrote:There has been a change of venue for Lee's viewing in WI. It is now at Cress Funeral Home 1310 Emerald Terrace, Sun Prairie, WI, Thursday June 28th 3:00-4:30.

Like_Stink: Have you heard what caused the fire in Lee's apartment? Thanks!

Lee was a good friend.

I was at a neighbor's apartment on the first floor of his building the night preceding the fire. He stopped by right around midnight, just three hours before the fire, and we talked briefly.

Having quite possibly been the last person to see him alive, I'm staying in contact with Lori Wirth and Johnny Winston of the MFD, as well as Tom Helgren of the MPD.

Right now there is no definitive cause, and the investigation is continuing.
FiXED

Postby Foxymoxy77 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:34 pm

FiXED: THANK YOU so much for the update & for keeping in touch with the MFD. If you don't mind, will you keep us posted on any updated information you find out from MFD? It is so hard to be in Oklahoma & not know what is going on or who to contact.
Foxymoxy77

Postby FiXED » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:09 am

Foxymoxy77 wrote:FiXED: THANK YOU so much for the update & for keeping in touch with the MFD. If you don't mind, will you keep us posted on any updated information you find out from MFD? It is so hard to be in Oklahoma & not know what is going on or who to contact.

I plan on it. As it turns out, it's just as difficult to get new information here in Madison.
FiXED

Postby phollingsworth » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:00 am

Lee worked in the International Student Services Office at The University of Tulsa his freshman year at TU where I also worked. After his freshman year, he worked in other offices; and I would occasionally run into him on campus. I left TU in 1999, but I happened to run into Lee again in Borders (bookstore) during the Tulsa 2007 ice storm that left many of us without power for 10 to 14 days (we hung out in Borders during the day while the power was out). It was really good to see him again. He was warm and friendly.

Do you have any other information about the fire? What caused it? Thank you.
phollingsworth

Postby FiXED » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:02 am

phollingsworth wrote:Do you have any other information about the fire? What caused it? Thank you.

Though I'm certain of the cause, personally, the official cause has not been released yet.

The last I'd been told, it would take from 4-6 weeks for the invenstigation to conclude. We're closing in on six weeks quite soon.
FiXED

Postby Foxymoxy77 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:10 am

FiXED: What do you think caused the fire?

Thanks!
Foxymoxy77

Postby FiXED » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:39 am

Foxymoxy77 wrote:FiXED: What do you think caused the fire?

Thanks!

This was an accidental cause. Careless disposition of a burning cigarette butt. Lee had been drinking that night. He just went to sleep and didn't wake up.

I saw the apartment the following night, and take comfort in knowing the fire didn't reach anywhere near his bedroom.
FiXED

Next

Return to Headlines