MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Here's An Idea...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Here's An Idea...

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:39 pm

If you can't manage having kids, then STOP having kids!

Moms Abusing Adderall To Be "Better" Moms

All over America there are moms in the shadows drowning in their daily responsibilities and turning to the prescription drug Adderall for relief.

Adderall is a drug for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, but these women don't have ADHD; they say they need Adderall to be better mothers.

Between 2002 and 2010, there's been a 750 percent increase in Adderall prescriptions for women between 26 and 39. Critics say clearly not all of these women need the drug for ADHD.

ABC News spoke with Betsy Degree from suburban Minneapolis, who started taking the prescription drug to keep up with the demands of being a mother of four.

"I grew up in a house where my mom was very neat," she said. "Everything was really clean, beautiful dinners every night and that didn't come naturally for me."

Several years ago, one of Degree's children was prescribed Adderall, a central nervous system stimulant, for ADHD. In a moment of desperation she stole a pill from her own child and the addiction was almost immediate.

"I was able to get all the stuff done around the house," Degree said. "I was able to cook the dinner and have everything perfect."

You know what else skyrocketed between 2002-2010? The costs of having children.

Why can't people stop reproducing? Why does she need FOUR children (and she's probably not done yet)?

Having multiple offspring is selfish.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Here's An Idea...

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Another idea would be simply making Adderall available to those that want it for whatever peaceful, personal use they deem fit.

If Mom On Drugs does a better job of parenting and providing for her family's needs than StraightEdge Mom, then Mom On Drugs wins.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Maybe she was only planning to have three, but twins happened. Who knows, really?
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Right Bower wrote:Maybe she was only planning to have three, but twins happened. Who knows, really?

Or maybe the pill didn't work, or maybe the condom broke.

Remember_Me wrote:Having multiple offspring is selfish.

Having two kids is selfish? What is this, fucking China. I personally don't want kids, but I'm not gonna shit on anyone for having 2 or 3 kids. Having 7 or more, then I see that as getting a little crazy.

ArturoBandini wrote:Another idea would be simply making Adderall available to those that want it for whatever peaceful, personal use they deem fit.

If Mom On Drugs does a better job of parenting and providing for her family's needs than StraightEdge Mom, then Mom On Drugs wins.

I would have to agree.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Commie. Did you get that from your copy of Mao's Little Red Book?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:50 pm

scratch wrote:

Commie. Did you get that from your copy of Mao's Little Red Book?

Just allowed a little common sense to run amok is all.

Good reading.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Another idea would be simply making Adderall available to those that want it for whatever peaceful, personal use they deem fit.

You're confusing addiction and recreation.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Remember_Me wrote:You're confusing addiction and recreation.
Addiction doesn't always have to become a problem. Probably half the people on this board are addicted to caffeine, myself included. Other than the occasional withdrawal headache or drowsy late-morning, it rarely registers as even an inconvenience.

Why do other sorts of addiction sometimes become more serious social problems? Here's a hint, from your article:
When she decided she could no longer fool her doctor she switched from Adderall to meth.

Would this same sort of problem occur if Adderall were available without a prescription, OTC, or at your neighborhood supermarket or convenience store (like caffeine)?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Addiction doesn't always have to become a problem.

Addiction IS the problem. Comparing relatively benign substances like caffeine to powerful prescription medication is a bit of a stretch.

ArturoBandini wrote:Probably half the people on this board are addicted to caffeine, myself included. Other than the occasional withdrawal headache or drowsy late-morning, it rarely registers as even an inconvenience.

Exactly.

ArturoBandini wrote:Why do other sorts of addiction sometimes become more serious social problems?

There aren't "sorts" of addictions. You're either an addict or you aren't. If you're an addict, you have a problem.

ArturoBandini wrote:Would this same sort of problem occur if Adderall were available without a prescription, OTC, or at your neighborhood supermarket or convenience store (like caffeine)?

Again, this ain't caffeine. I would imagine that once she built up a tolerance or needed a cheaper fix she would still have gravitated to meth. Regardless if the Adderall was OTC or prescription.

What's the main difference between a crack and cocaine user?

Income disparity?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Adderall or not, today's median birthing mother has seriously lowered the bar for what to expect out of a parent. What difference does it make if they're on Adderall? They can't fucking read, speak or reason. Some are great! Surprising, prepared or responsible. I'm talking median.

The first time I saw Idiocracy I thought, "Boy, that's funny, too bad Fox cut their budget, imagine what it could have been." In retrospect its a genius film. What once seemed exaggeratedly funny now seems eerily prophetic. Even the names are right on. Unsettling, but uncanny.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:43 am

Bludgeon wrote:Adderall or not, today's median birthing mother has seriously lowered the bar for what to expect out of a parent. What difference does it make if they're on Adderall? They can't fucking read, speak or reason. Some are great! Surprising, prepared or responsible. I'm talking median.

The first time I saw Idiocracy I thought, "Boy, that's funny, too bad Fox cut their budget, imagine what it could have been." In retrospect its a genius film. What once seemed exaggeratedly funny now seems eerily prophetic. Even the names are right on. Unsettling, but uncanny.

I don't think they cut the budget. The movie was finished and then the studio was so horrified (at how deeply cutting of a social commentary it was) that they refused to spend money to promote it.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines