MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Union workers slept on the job

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Union workers slept on the job

Postby bdog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Giving it to you Henry style:

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2012/06/tsa-newark-screeners-fired/792310/1

The Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday it fired eight officers at Newark Liberty International Airport for allegedly sleeping on the job or violating other rules.

Some of the workers were caught on videotape in December napping in a checked-baggage room in Newark's terminal B, the TSA said. Other workers violated other standard operation procedures involving checked baggage, the agency said, and more workers could be disciplined as the investigation continues.

Representatives from the American Federation of Government Employees, the union representing TSA workers, didn't respond immediately to phone and email messages for comment.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Union workers slept on the job

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:42 am

I'm sure sleeping on the job is strictly a union worker problem. If I was an employer and had to choose between employees napping for an hour or being on facebook, I'd take the nap. At least they might work better afterwards.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:54 am

I thought Union Workers couldn't get fired. What's the story here?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:57 am

Pretty sure you're likely to find that anywhere you leave people seriously unsupervised- not just union jobs. The only place I've seen it happen was with people doing warehouse work for a temp agency.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:39 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I thought Union Workers couldn't get fired. What's the story here?

Most employers make employees sign a contract that has an "at will" clause, where they can fire you at any time for any reason. Union employees usually don't have this "at will" clause, meaning the employer has to have a good reason to fire them, and can't simply lay them off. I would say sleeping on the job is a good reason to fire someone.

Do people really not know how Unions operate? If more people did, perhaps we wouldn't have needed to waste 18 months on a recall effort. All a Union really is is an Advocacy group, who makes sure their members don't get screwed in a contrat. Unions are not a security blanket, simply a guide and a helping hand when it comes to dealing with employers who have thousands of dollars to spend on lawyers who write bull-crap contracts that ignorant people sign (*cough* private sector *cough*). Being in a Union doesn't make someone lazy, it just makes them less likely to get screwed, which is why corporations and rich people hate them. Less money they can steal from their employee's paychecks.
seemunkyz

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:22 pm

I'd like to congratulate Henry on his new job as Union Steward for every union in the United States. Good Luck, Mr. Vilas.

Also, in local news, some kid stole a pack of Marlboro's while working as a clerk at the Open Pantry. This clearly shows that everyone at PDQ should be fired immediately.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks all for the valid points!

I think you are right, this could have happened with non-union workers too.

Well look at that, I acknowledged your points and my head didn't explode.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:37 am

Problems at the TSA? I blame Dick Cheney, of course.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jessy27 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:14 am

Dcb,
Dick Cheney, no it's got to be Bush's fault. He get's blamed for anything that
goes wrong anyway. Had a problem with my water heater the other day, I'm
planing to send the bill to George B I know he's responsible. :lol:
jessy27

Postby Shorty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:45 am

Anti-union move by the Dem governor of Illinois.

Quinn administration terminates union contract
http://www.afscme31.org/news?id=0454

"In an unprecedented step, Governor Pat Quinn’s administration late today terminated state government’s contract with its largest employee union, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Council 31. “In 40 years of collective bargaining, Pat Quinn is the first and only Illinois governor to terminate a union contract,” AFSCME executive director Henry Bayer said. “His action will heighten employee frustration, provoke instability in the workplace and make settling a contract more difficult.”

AFSCME has been in negotiations over a new collective bargaining agreement for nearly a year. Scheduled to expire last June 30, the previous contract’s terms had been extended by mutual agreement of the parties. But following a bargaining session with a federal mediator in Springfield today, the Quinn administration rejected a further extension offered by the union. Terminating the contract has little immediate practical effect, as all existing terms and conditions of employment remain in place under state law. But it signals the Quinn Administration’s lack of respect for the collective bargaining process."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 am

bdog wrote:Thanks all for the valid points!

I think you are right, this could have happened with non-union workers too.

Well look at that, I acknowledged your points and my head didn't explode.

if you really want to acknowledge the points, change the title of the thread.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:30 pm

There's a guy (non-union) where I work who dozes off while sitting up multiple times each day, and gets away with it. I think he has - wait for it - Narcolepsy.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:18 pm

jessy27 wrote:Dcb,
Dick Cheney, no it's got to be Bush's fault. He get's blamed for anything that
goes wrong anyway. Had a problem with my water heater the other day, I'm
planing to send the bill to George B I know he's responsible. :lol:
Yep! Yep! I agree! Bush doesn't get enough credit for his accomplishments, simply brushed off as "Blame."

According to Rupert Murdoch's Wall Street Journal, Bush should get almost full credit for todays debt and deficits, since Congress never covered his spending (99.6%, to be exact).
http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05 ... ken-sailor
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Of all the falsehoods told about President Barack Obama, the biggest whopper is the one about his reckless spending spree.

... Although there was a big stimulus bill under Obama, federal spending is rising at the slowest pace since Dwight Eisenhower brought the Korean War to an end in the 1950s.

• In the 2009 fiscal year — the last of George W. Bush’s presidency — federal spending rose by 17.9% from $2.98 trillion to $3.52 trillion.

Over Obama’s four budget years, federal spending is on track to rise from $3.52 trillion to $3.58 trillion, an annualized increase of just 0.4%.
As do other economists: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3849
By themselves, in fact, the Bush tax cuts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will account for almost half of the $18 trillion in debt that, under current policies, the nation will owe by 2019.[1] The stimulus measures and financial rescues will account for less than 10 percent of the debt at that time.
And never mind that the Bank bailouts and stimulus had to happen because Bush blocked the Feds from regulating the banks when they saw this crisis coming. From Rupert Murdoch's other "liberal" media outlet: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,460044,00.html
Bush Administration Ignored Warnings of Pending Financial Meltdown
Published December 01, 2008
Associated Press
The Bush administration backed off proposed crackdowns on no-money-down, interest-only mortgages years before the economy collapsed, buckling to pressure from some of the same banks that have now failed. It ignored remarkably prescient warnings that foretold the financial meltdown, according to an Associated Press review of regulatory documents.

Bowing to aggressive lobbying — along with assurances from banks that the troubled mortgages were OK — regulators delayed action for nearly one year. By the time new rules were released late in 2006, the toughest of the proposed provisions were gone and the meltdown was under way.
And about your water heater. I'm not sure if Methyl Mercury affected it, but Bush blocked 7 major lawsuits by the EPA in 2001 involving mercury emissions from the biggest Coal burners in the nation. As a result, the EPAs top 3 prosecutors, including the chief prosecutor Eric Schaeffer who was appointed in 1991 by his dad's admin., resigned under protest. The EPA subsequently found in 2004 that 1 in 5 American babies, roughly 540,000 a year, were at risk for brain damage from exposure to methyl mercury in the fish their moms ate. 33 states tested their water and issued warnings in regards to the high mercury levels. The 17 states that didn't do either the testing or issue any advisories all had Republican Governors. Didn't FOX tell you?

Bush is definitely under-rated. And like you, I can't believe some people want to give Obama credit for things Bush did and how that still affects us!
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines