MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 14.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison oh Madison

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Twice in less than six months, Montee Ball has been close to alcohol-related crime.

What is a Heisman Trophy contender doing closing down bars? Isn't he suppose to be in training for the upcoming football season?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:47 pm

Meade wrote:Twice in less than six months, Montee Ball has been close to alcohol-related crime.

What is a Heisman Trophy contender doing closing down bars? Isn't he suppose to be in training for the upcoming football season?
There you have it, folks. The equivalent of "She shouldn't have dressed that way." Blame the victim.

"He was asking for it."
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:11 pm

jman111 wrote:[The equivalent of "She shouldn't have dressed that way." Blame the victim.
"He was asking for it."

Not really. More like asking the victim: why do you keep going back to the same crime-ridden place you keep getting into trouble?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:18 pm

jman111 wrote:
Meade wrote:Twice in less than six months, Montee Ball has been close to alcohol-related crime.

There you have it, folks. The equivalent of "She shouldn't have dressed that way." Blame the victim.

"He was asking for it."

And there you have IT, folks. The auto-reply to the legitmate question of why someone isn't making better choices: compare it to rape. Try just a little harder please. Yawn.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Explain to us how your link has anything to do with THIS assault other than to be provocative.

I'm still puzzling over what Lee Harvey Oswald had to do with anything over in the Pocan/Roys topic.

Montee Ball has the same right as anyone else to walk around Madison streets unmolested, regardless of the hour and regardless of where he'd been or was going.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:
Explain to us how your link has anything to do with THIS assault other than to be provocative.

I'm still puzzling over what Lee Harvey Oswald had to do with anything over in the Pocan/Roys topic.

The lighting on their faces is similar and coupled with the word "assassination" in the ad, some think it was deliberate attempt to associate Roys and Oswald, at least subliminally.

As always, YMMV. No Meade, the other YMMV.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:26 pm

bdog wrote: Yawn.
So you feel it's appropriate to blame the victim...err...I mean...question why someone isn't making better choices when they become victims of crime?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:29 pm

snoqueen wrote:

Montee Ball has the same right as anyone else to walk around Madison streets unmolested, regardless of the hour and regardless of where he'd been or was going.

Sure and homeowners have the right not to be robbed, regardless of leaving a door unlocked or the garage door open.

Why do the Madison police always say to lock up? Does MPD also think she was asking for it ???
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 pm

jman111 wrote:
bdog wrote: Yawn.
So you feel it's appropriate to blame the victim...err...I mean...question why someone isn't making better choices when they become victims of crime?

See my response to Sno - does MPD "blame the victim"?

A little common sense and personal responsibility is all I, and the MPD, are asking for.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:48 pm

snoqueen wrote:I'm still puzzling over what Lee Harvey Oswald had to do with anything over in the Pocan/Roys topic.

Have you seen the movie JFK ? You probably thought that was Gary Oldman who played Lee Harvey Oswald, didn't you? Watch it again. That's right -- Kelda Helen Roys.

And Ed Asner as Guy Bannister? Nope. Marc Pocan.

Edited 1 time to correct the spelling of Kelda Helen Roys.

Edited 2nd time to tell you about it.
Last edited by Meade on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 pm

bdog wrote:A little common sense and personal responsibility is all I, and the MPD, are asking for.

If Ball was in a dark alley late at night by himself then, yes, I would say that's a bad choice. Walking late at night with two friends on a very brightly lit street on a Tuesday, no, I don't think that was a bad choice. Is it our personal responsibility to come home at 10pm, lock the doors and hide under the covers? These assaults and others occur in the early evening as well. My co-worker's son was assaulted when it was still light out on a busy street walking home from the gas station. Was that a bad choice? People have been assaulted on the bike path at dusk? Was that a bad choice? Where does bad choice end and random violence begin? I agree that we all have personal responsibility, but sometimes bad shit happens that we can't predict or plan for.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Good questions.

The places / times we don't have to worry about crap like this gets smaller every day.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Was it his personal responsibility to carry a gun for protection?
Should he have employed bodyguards?
Should he have traveled via armored car?
Maybe the responsible thing would have been to live in a different city. Or state. Or time.

/yawn/
Am I trying hard enough yet?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:16 pm

JFK made a bad choice when he overrode the Secret Service's order to have the bullet-proof top put on the limousine. We don't blame JFK for his own assassination. That would be like blaming Mark Pocan for his own character assassination.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:26 pm

This thread is fucking ridiculous.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines