MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sikh temple shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Sikh temple shooting

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Jonny, I'm certainly happy to see that you agree with me that the possibility of despotism occurring in the United States is not the virtually impossible one-in-zillion chance that OJ seems to believe.

To think we're immune ignores the reality of what history has shown time and again. While you like to emphasize the dangers presented by the far right, I see the same potential dangers from both the right and left wing political loonies. (Which is why I chose to illustrate with examples from both.)
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Goldmember, the lengths you have gone to not admit that you think private ownership of nuclear weapons should be legal are truly astounding.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

O.J. wrote:Goldmember, the lengths you have gone to not admit that you think private ownership of nuclear weapons should be legal are truly astounding.

Me? I haven't gone a single nanometer to admit or not admit that. But do you want to know what I think about private ownership of of nukes? I think legal prohibitions of it are just fine and completely constitutional. Furthermore, I don't think even if Congress passed a law legalizing private ownership of nuclear weapons, and even if the Supreme Court put it's stamp of approval on that law, and even if an Amendment to the Constitution was passed that read "There shall be no prohibitions against the private ownership of thermonuclear weapons by individual citizens of the United States of America" that even THEN would any individual person obtain a nuclear weapon. If arguing about owning nukes is what you need to resort to, then you're really grasping at the thinnest of straws and it shows that your position could not possibly be weaker. So blow it out your ass blowhard.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for clarify your position on nukes. But you still quibble over possessing chemical or biological "arms". And what about IED's?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:11 pm

just remember...
Dangerousman wrote:Always nice to see when arguments are reduced to insults and personal attacks. It means you got nothing.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 am

jman111 wrote:just remember...
Dangerousman wrote:Always nice to see when arguments are reduced to insults and personal attacks. It means you got nothing.

just remember...

"reduced to" means there is nothing other than insults and personal attacks. I'm pretty confident that my arguments contain a whole lot more. I'm happy to see that you read my comments a lot, jman, now just try reading them a lot more carefully.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:40 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Thanks for clarify your position on nukes. But you still quibble over possessing chemical or biological "arms". And what about IED's?

Quibble: To argue or raise objections about a trivial matter: "they are always quibbling about the amount they are prepared to pay".

Henry, what part of chemical or biological arms is a trivial matter to you? That I made a distinction between pepper spray and nerve gas? I think the distinction is non-trivial. As I pointed out, unlike a nuclear weapon, the term "chemical weapon" encompasses a very wide range of weapons. It could be that somewhere within that wide range of weapons some should be afforded the protections of the Second Amendment and some should not. Or maybe all should be. I haven't figured out where I would draw a line, if I were to draw one. And that's because I try to think carefully rather than in the sloppy manner that is good enough for far too many people in the forum.

Furthermore, I wasn't the one who brought up the issue and those of you who continue to bring it up are merely trying to distract away from meaningful issues with something that is more of an intellectual exercise than anything else. So if you want me to humor you with participation in this intellectual exercise you'll have to be patient. If you actually believe that this is a meaningful issue, then maybe look around and see if you can find some court cases to show us that it actually has been regarded as an issue within the courts.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Demoncracy Now! reminds us:
Daryl Johnson, former analyst for the Department of Homeland Security, called attention to the threat of far right extremist groups back in 2009 and sparked a political firestorm in the process. He was the principal author of a report called, “Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment.” ... The report set off a maelstrom of discontent among conservatives.

Rush Limbaugh, who apparently thinks of Neo-Nazis as "ordinary, everyday conservatives" didn't like the undue attention from DHS.
He and others made a big stink, and DHS caved in to the pressure. They disbanded Johnson's unit.

Quoting from a Wired article:
Since Johnson released his ill-fated report, the Witchita, Kansas, abortion doctor, George Teller, was assinated. A security guard was killed when a gunman with neo-Nazi ties went on a shooting spree at the U.S. Holocaust Museum, the FBI arrested members of a Florida neo-Nazi outfit tied to drug dealing and motorcycle gangs, a man was charged with attempting to detonate a weapon of mass destruction at a Spokane, Washington, march commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday and several mosques around the country have been vandalized or attacked, including a Missouri mosque that burned to the ground on Monday,

And now the six murders in Oak Creek.

Maybe the DHS should pay more attention to the right-wing crazies.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 pm

DCB wrote:Rush Limbaugh, who apparently thinks of Neo-Nazis as "ordinary, everyday conservatives" didn't like the undue attention from DHS.
He and others made a big stink, and DHS caved in to the pressure. They disbanded Johnson's unit.

I think it is interesting that there are those who sympathize so much with the Neo-Nazis that they would make efforts to discredit the groups and departments that protect our citizens from them.

From TPDF:

Very very interesting. So how did that race pimping group (the southern 'poverty' law whatever) know that?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines