MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Libyan attack

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

The Libyan attack

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Odd that I find this on Wired, but that's the world we live in.
It was not a simple mob that attacked the U.S. consulate in Benghazi on Tuesday, killing four Americans. Benghazi was the scene of a pitched battle, one in which unknown Libyan assailants besieged American diplomats with small-arms fire for over four hours, repelling several attempts by U.S. personnel to regain control of it.

Nor was what happened in Benghazi a simple story of Americans assaulted by the Libyans they helped to liberate from Moammar Gadhafi last year, American officials say. Libyan security forces and a sympathetic local militia helped the Americans to suppress the attack and get the diplomats inside to safety.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Libyan attack

Postby jackisonian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:12 pm

The BBC is reporting on this right now on 21.2 TV broadcast but the BBC audio on 21.2 broadcast is being blocked for some reason. Strange.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Re: The Libyan attack

Postby manoletters » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Christianity is not a religion, it is a mental disease, and that applies equally to Protestantism, Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy. Judaism is not a religion, it is a mental disease. Islam is not a religion, it is a mental disease. Mormonism is not a religion, it is a mental disease. Hinduism is not a religion, it is a mental disease, or at the very least, a totally incoherent series of fables. Sikhism is... (hands off for now, American Sikhs have been targeted recently in a most barbaric manner). Buddhism is... (for the life of me, I can't find anything about Buddhism to really offend or even annoy me, so I'll just have to keep trying). Bahai'ism is... (ditto for Bahai'ism, though I'm sure I'll figure out some unforgivable transgression against sanity that Bahai's have committed). Sorry if anyone feels left out; I have to learn more about other faiths before I can feel justified in condemning them. With time, all things are possible. "The Innocence of Muslims" is an awful, stupid film, but I cannot concur with practitioners of a religion who, in their actions, make it abundantly clear that they need to grow up and enter the 20th Century, to say nothing of the twenty-first. If Muslims are protesting and rioting against the United States because of abominable acts like the 43-day bombing of Iraq's civilian population during the 1991 Gulf War, then I am fully and completely on their side. If they are rioting and demonstrating against the USA in order to assert their belief that even idiotic movies like the one below should not be accorded the protection of our First Amendment, then I'm sorry, but I do not agree, and there's nothing I can do to help them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgx1_JVxfZE
manoletters
Forum Addict

Return to Headlines