MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Famed naturalist takes a strong position

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Famed naturalist takes a strong position

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:01 am

I am not sure how long the lid will stay on the fact that even David Attenborough "chose" to wait this long to point out the obvious. As reported in the pages of The Economist, no less!

http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ ... -a-natural

If you bother to read the above piece, you might find the following piece reported in the same pages ironic.

http://www.economist.com/node/21563334

Sadly it seems quaint that Sir David thinks the purpose of the media, now a days, might be for something other than to keep you fairly off balance. But what the hell, it's been reported, you decide which pattern you recognize in the noise.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Famed naturalist takes a strong position

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:03 am

MH, is there a reason you make such cryptic posts? You could give us some clue as to what the link is about. Just a single quote might help,e.g.
While he brushes off the suggestion that he has a message to convey, his recent programmes, particularly the ones he has authored rather than just fronted, have shown a growing urgency, a determination to lay bare the planet’s plight. "The world is in terrible trouble," he says

Regarding the article? Yeah, I think we're fucked.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Famed naturalist takes a strong position

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:08 pm

DCB wrote:MH, is there a reason you make such cryptic posts? You could give us some clue as to what the link is about. Just a single quote might help,e.g.

Sorry to be cryptic, I just follow a fair bit of our collective narrative and some things stuck out to me.

It was not always thus: until a few years ago, Attenborough was unwilling to speak out about climate change

Am I optimistic about the future? No, not at all. But that’s irrelevant. It’s imperative that you do something, even if you don’t think it’s going to do any good.

It is the media, he believes, that hold the key to our salvation. While this won’t be to everyone’s taste in the age of phone-hacking, Attenborough sees no other way. "The media need to keep people informed. If not, why would they agree to politicians devoting tax money and passing legislation aimed at preserving our planet? We have to convey the facts that scientists know very well, and impress on people and politicians that we have to act now.

This last bit about the media got me when I read the piece on the Guardian. A publication that, amongst all of the important work they have done, appears to be slowly paying a price for some recent work.

LAST year the Guardian newspaper was riding high, having triumphantly exposed phone-hacking at the News of the World. But good journalism is not the same as a good journalism business. On September 15th the Guardian Media Group closed a voluntary redundancy scheme, which had failed to attract the 100 takers the company had hoped for. A nasty fight with its union could follow.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines