MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

"Bully" is the new "Racist"

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: "Bully" is the new "Racist"

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 am

rabble wrote:It would be interesting to hear the stories of the bullies that Crocket has nullified by ignoring. All the bullies I remember enjoyed it. They just got more in the faces of their victims, taking the opportunity to be even bigger bullies, which means more disruption.

Right. Which actually means they HATED being ignored.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:06 am

wack wack wrote:
Crockett wrote:Your life must be a difficult one if you [react to every a-hole in the world.

And you are comically oblivious if you believe ignoring assholes will somehow silence them or make them go away.

Crockett is setting up a strawman.

The problem is not reacting to any asshole or bully. Sometimes you have to step up.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:35 am

Crockett wrote:My point is, I'd have rather heard that anchor say, "I'm fat but it doesn't define who I am and I could care less what you think of my physical appearance. I'm more than that and you have no say in my life."

She actually did say that, but chose to take it a step further.

Crockett wrote:If your goal is to rid the world of assholes, godspeed.

No, just ones like you on this forum.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:36 am

Crockett wrote:
rabble wrote:It would be interesting to hear the stories of the bullies that Crocket has nullified by ignoring. All the bullies I remember enjoyed it. They just got more in the faces of their victims, taking the opportunity to be even bigger bullies, which means more disruption.

Right. Which actually means they HATED being ignored.

Yeah. That's why it worked so well. They kept upping the ante, disrupting more and more. And often, it just stayed that way. The entire environment became theirs.

Great tactic.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Obese mothers are more likely to have obese children.

Her lifestyle is unhealthy not just for herself, but for her children as well.

In my opinion you have a responsibility to set a good example for your own children.

Her obesity, along with her possible obese children, will have a negative effect on this country with increased costs in everything from insurance premiums to dinner buffet prices.

Obese people, just like smokers, are the actual real bullies.

Making me pay for your unhealthy lifestyle is a pretty asshole bully thing to do.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Remember_Me wrote:to dinner buffet prices.

I can't take you seriously after this comment.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:to dinner buffet prices.

I can't take you seriously after this comment.

I tried to think of an important thing, like insurance premiums, and a trivial thing, like dinner buffets.

But it's cool. You stopped taking me seriously years ago.

Bully for you.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:50 pm

I just watched the video.

Jeez. She ain't even that fat. I worked a logging crew next to women fatter than her who could punch a musclebound lumberjack into the next county

Actually only one of them did that, and he didn't really land in the next county. But he didn't get up for a few minutes.

But she isn't obese in my book. Maybe could stand to walk an extra mile a day but I think she's a fine example for young women. The notion that a person should only quit taking crap like that when their body index is at a certain point is stupid.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Remember_Me wrote:But it's cool. You stopped taking me seriously years ago.
:(
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:35 pm

DCB wrote:The problem is not reacting to any asshole or bully. Sometimes you have to step up.

And 'stepping up' to a random letter from a random asshole to a 5th tier TV personality is definitely the time to step up.

Poor her. She must get at least...well...one of these letters every...well...ever.

She's using this a-hole for her own self-worth, image, soap box or whatever. She's far from a victim of bullying. And in the meantime she's giving him airtime. Come on. Speaking of growing a set...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Crockett wrote:She's using this a-hole for her own self-worth, image, soap box or whatever. She's far from a victim of bullying.

Did you know that October is National Bullying Prevention Month? Did you ever think that she was trying to raise awareness to the cause? Did you ever think that she was maybe bullied as a kid and finally wants to speak out? Were her kids bullied?

Crockett wrote:And 'stepping up' to a random letter from a random asshole to a 5th tier TV personality is definitely the time to step up.

She's probably going to do more to help people who are bullied with this one act, than you will ever do in a lifetime to help anyone.

Did you even watch the whole video. It was a whole hell of a lot more than just about her.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm

bul·ly/ˈbo͝olē/ Noun:

1. A person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.
2. Corned beef.

I don't think the guy's a bully, unless he's corned beef. He was rude and short-sighted however. I can't imagine going up to someone with a disability and saying "You walk funny" or telling a person "Wow, you have bad acne!" or "You ought to wear a bra with those droopy ol' boobs." People are generally aware of their characteristics that others may see as flaws. Big deal, butt out. Does this guy yell at anyone he sees smoking that they're setting a bad example for kids? I think the underlying issue is this: most news anchors, particularly female, fit a certain mold in terms of appearance. Once upon a time this was true for flight attendants too. This guy's unhappy because Channel 8 has the audacity to employ someone outside the female news anchor norm. Shockingly they may have hired her based on her qualifications and with little consideration regarding how well she fit the norm for female news anchors. Oh my goodness, what sort of role model can that be!! I hope this guy tries to tell some of the fat NFL players who spend their time working with kids and charities that they're poor role models because of their huge bellies.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I don't think the guy's a bully, unless he's corned beef. He was rude and short-sighted however.

I watched this last night and the first thing I took away from it was her fear that HIS influence on children(his own, nieces nephews) would cause THEM to be bullies to other kids in school. We don't have to be on the teevee to have an influence over kids. He made her out to be a LESSER person because of her weight. If this is what he teaches his kids, then they are going to think that when they see an overweight kid in school. Crockett thinks that overweight kid should buck up and deal with being called "fatty" or something for a couple years. You know what happens when you just keep taking it:

Bam motherfucker
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Does this guy yell at anyone he sees smoking that they're setting a bad example for kids?

Maybe not, but Remember̲me might.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Jennifer Livingston's message gets national attention:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... _blog.html

Good.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines