MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

uh-oh (we don't make this stuff anymore)

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

uh-oh (we don't make this stuff anymore)

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:52 am

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: uh-oh (we don't make this stuff anymore)

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:04 am

Information has been coming in drips and drabs, but it is starting to flow more smoothly. This is going to sting for a while.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/ ... M620121010
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Gee, I wonder why this thread didn't go anywhere? Could it be because none of the usual pro-labor, anti-sweatshop crowd can bear to think negatively about their favorite thing in the whole world?

Remember this article discussed in some other thread awhile back:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/busin ... .html?_r=0

I quoted this exact part before..

Apple executives say that going overseas, at this point, is their only option. One former executive described how the company relied upon a Chinese factory to revamp iPhone manufacturing just weeks before the device was due on shelves. Apple had redesigned the iPhone’s screen at the last minute, forcing an assembly line overhaul. New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight.

A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s dormitories, according to the executive. Each employee was given a biscuit and a cup of tea, guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day.

“The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,” the executive said. “There’s no American plant that can match that.”

...and wondered what the reaction would be if it was a factory making luxury goods for rich people.

Yeah yeah, I know, the luddite's bitching about technology again.

But nobody's REally bitching about where their precious phone comes from, are they?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:30 am

narcoleptish wrote:Gee, I wonder why this thread didn't go anywhere? Could it be because none of the usual pro-labor, anti-sweatshop crowd can bear to think negatively about their favorite thing in the whole world?

Maybe it went nowhere because of Mad Howler's habit of posting links unadorned except for a cryptic one-liner and equally cryptic thread title.

(Yeah, I do that too sometimes...)

So ... for the Apple manufacturing issue discussed in the NY Times article you linked to, what's your reaction? Who or what exactly needs to change, here? Are you trying to convince American consumers to change their behavior, or Apple's corporate management to change its behavior, or the US government to step in and protect jobs, or what?

Not trying to be pushy, I'm just wondering what realistic avenues are open to fix this problem, if you think it's a problem in need of fixing.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:58 pm

I cannot tell others what to think. I just hope we begin to think about the nastiness that we are collectively complicit with.

p.s.- I think I need to link back, as I missed the dog's reference...

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=55960&start=15#p707481
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:52 am

kurt_w wrote:Not trying to be pushy, I'm just wondering what realistic avenues are open to fix this problem, if you think it's a problem in need of fixing.

I'm really only commenting. I unapologetically just don't care enough about humans, in general, to even fathom what the answers would be to a world of undesirable labor practices. Maybe the people in those factories don't even have a problem with a 3 AM biscuit and a kick in the ass. If I was suddenly wealthy and could spend my time trying to make the world better, I would be much more likely to try to help animals.

I think it's completely true that the iphone factory controversies get little attention (comparatively) because people are so in love with the product. If it was a factory making Hummers these same people would be foaming at the mouth. I guess I just like to point out the hypocrisy.

I really am not anti-technology but I make no secret of my loathing of the smart phone phenom. Folks I know are literally different people because of it. Rude, oblivious people. Had breakfast recently and got to listen to another diner's ten minute bitch-out session with his service provider, at a volume that would have probably bothered his neighbors had he been in his living room. Later watched a different guy pay for his meal, yapping into his phone right in the woman's face through the whole transaction as if he was using an ATM.

I know I'm painting with a big brush here but it's the biggest change in public behavior that I've seen in my lifetime and the majority of it that I'm literally seeing, is eye-roll inducing at best and downright shitty and dangerous (driving) at worst.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Narcoleotish,
I have found you to be devastatingly humorous on this forum. But this post is a devastatingly current and severe human observation. Well done, in what I consider a Swiftian post Houyhnhnm kind of way.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I know I'm painting with a big brush here but it's the biggest change in public behavior that I've seen in my lifetime and the majority of it that I'm literally seeing, is eye-roll inducing at best and downright shitty and dangerous (driving) at worst.

I suggest listening to tonight's episode of Fresh Air.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines